What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

Forest Whitaker, Jared Leto, and Dwight Yokam are all fantastic. Unfortunately, they are never very good in anything else.

Forest Whitaker is consistently good. Watch The Last King of Scotland.

He is, however, incredibly awful in Street Kings. Just a terrible, terrible performance.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Other Boleyn Girl.

Not a bad costume drama amid this whole Tudors fad that's seemed to have popped up. As the scheming, bitchy but complex and likable Anne Boleyn, it's probably Natalie Portman's most impressive acting to date. Scarlett Johannson is pretty good as her sister, but doesn't really do much, and Eric Bana as King Henry VIII is a bit underdeveloped, but still as creepy a king as ever in this cold and sad piece of historical melodrama.

Untraceable.

Intense serial killer thriller with an edgy borderline satirical twist on the dangers of morbid curiosity in the cyber age. Bit of a Se7en/The Silence of the Lambs/computer elements of Live Free or Die Hard hybrid, and out pops this movie.

The Forbidden Kingdom: Basically Transformers in medieval Japan. Don't worry, it's not THAT bad. Great performances by Jackie Chan and Jet Li and nice eye candy by whoever "acted" the part of the Chinese chick. Bad script.

AND I'M SO SICK OF MV MUSIC!!!

12 Angry Men (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

This is, hands down, one of my favorite films of all time. I watched this with my family tonight, and they all liked it (except for the eight-year-old, but I'll let that pass).

This is a consistently fascinating and interesting movie; it's one of the films I could watch repeatedly. Each realization made for the case is still interesting to watch, no matter how many times I view it. The cinematography is great, with an absolutely terrific atmosphere.

The exploration of the justice side of the film is terrific. The ideals of the Constitution and the system are portrayed and voiced, making it (I would say) required viewing for anyone learning about the jury system. One of the points struck home is how the gravity of what is being done should not be taken lightly, but if taken seriously and honestly, one can do good through it. In the bonus features it is mentioned how jury duty is the most direct effect a common person has next to voting. It has inspired much interest in me concerning jury duty.

This is a film with two primary focuses, though: the jury system, and the people in it. It's amazing the depth that the actors put into the scripted characterizations. It would be easy to point out Lee Cobb's Juror 3, but not having seen the film in a while, I had forgotten how irritating Ed Begley's character was with his obnoxious loud-mouthedness...and yet when his rant begins to fade, and he just retires in the corner, you see past the racist exterior, and find a sorry, broken-down man. It's almost as if all his bluster and blind antagonism turns around and punches him in his face, and for the remainder of the time, he has given up attacking the boy, and is searching deep inside. An under-rated performance, to be sure. This of course, is not to belittle Cobb's acheivement. Once again, he makes you totally disgusted with his ferocity and hate, and then when he collapses and gives his final decision, it's heart-breaking.

An interesting thing about the film, is that it takes the twelve men, and shows you some of the worst...and the best in man. A lot of ugliness is exposed in the film, and then, despite all that Cobb's character has said and done, Davis goes over, and helps him with his jacket. The small act of kindness to a fellow man shown here is truly touching.

No doubt one of the greatest movies I've had the pleasure to experience. A great American classic. ****/****

The Forbidden Kingdom: Basically Transformers in medieval Japan. Don't worry, it's not THAT bad. Great performances by Jackie Chan and Jet Li and nice eye candy by whoever "acted" the part of the Chinese chick. Bad script.

David Buckley, gotta love him. He's Harry Gregson-Williams' protege. I'm hoping he'll get a score release for it.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (***1/2)

To put it simply, this is the funniest movie I've seen since Superbad. Hilarious movie with very funny jokes throughout. Great acting all around, and a great script too.

I'm really looking forward to Pineapple Express.

David Buckley, gotta love him. He's Harry Gregson-Williams' protege. I'm hoping he'll get a score release for it.

I listened to samples attached to composer's interview on one of the sites and I can say I hope... not.

Did you like the score to Magnolia, Alex?

I don't remember.

There's some really great stuff in it. Good walking music.

Dark City

I watched this for the first time a couple of years ago and tonight was the second viewing. I thought it was okay when I first saw it, and it's gotten better with another viewing. Not enough can be said about the great production design here, and the great opening, both for the film and for the central character. Where the film stumbles for me is the villains. I don't know what it is, maybe I just never felt threatened by the "strangers," but I still had mixed emotions when the final battle came along. Really, any scene without them were the worthwhile scenes. The music also grated on my nerves a bit, with the constant repitition of that action theme, and the weird use of electric guitar in the background even though it's a noir film. Oh well. Loved Sutherland in his role too.

Only one thing matters in that movie, how was the Jet Li vs Jackie Chan fight?

12 Angry Men (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

This is, hands down, one of my favorite films of all time.

Indeed. I particularly love how the apparant "hero" (Fonda) is one of the least interesting jurors in the room. He believes that they need to delibarate. He does not change or develop after teh first few minutes. But everyone else changes, thinks.....they're not immoral morons who don't care about the boy's life, they all have their reasons.

Did you like the score to Magnolia, Alex?

I don't remember.

There's some really great stuff in it. Good walking music.

Dark City

I watched this for the first time a couple of years ago and tonight was the second viewing. I thought it was okay when I first saw it, and it's gotten better with another viewing. Not enough can be said about the great production design here, and the great opening, both for the film and for the central character. Where the film stumbles for me is the villains. I don't know what it is, maybe I just never felt threatened by the "strangers," but I still had mixed emotions when the final battle came along. Really, any scene without them were the worthwhile scenes. The music also grated on my nerves a bit, with the constant repitition of that action theme, and the weird use of electric guitar in the background even though it's a noir film. Oh well. Loved Sutherland in his role too.

The final battle is a bit messy, but I like the concept of it. I did like the villains very much, too. I like the score in the film, but out of it, it's just endless repitition of a motif from The Rite of Spring.

The Fly: Cronenberg's, that is. I was very interested and very involved in the movie...until he started turning into a big effin' fly. I didn't care too much after that point. But the first half was good. Liked the score.

Yojimbo: Fantastic! Kurosawa's western that rips to shreds the pomposity and moral pretenciousness of your average western. It's not the good weak farmers against the bad greedy landowners....it's the bad gamblers against the bad gamblers, with our protagonist not so much fighting for the good, but we have a hero who is just offended that these two bad (and inept) groups are the forces at play. They offend him at every level.

The movie is brilliant in the way it toys with our image of a western, right up to it brilliant closing scene. It is very funny, and that comes almost entirely from the indelible Toshiru Mifune, who is just fantastic. His arm twitch is great.

Only drawback: the music. Absolutely horrendous.

Dodgeball: Still my favorite frat-pack comedy (I'm including all Ferrell/Apatow/Vaughn comedies in that). I find hysterical. There are some really, really, funny lines in there. The actors know what they're doing- this is one of the few places I like Ben Stiller in. And the movie's cameos are inspired. Three of the best cameos I've seen. Theodore Shapiro's score is quite good.

Also saw In Bruges last night....my 2008 movie year has finally started. First good movie of the year that I've seen. And what a movie......

Yojimbo: Fantastic! Kurosawa's western that rips to shreds the pomposity and moral pretenciousness of your average western. It's not the good weak farmers against the bad greedy landowners....it's the bad gamblers against the bad gamblers, with our protagonist not so much fighting for the good, but we have a hero who is just offended that these two bad (and inept) groups are the forces at play. They offend him at every level.

The movie is brilliant in the way it toys with our image of a western, right up to it brilliant closing scene. It is very funny, and that comes almost entirely from the indelible Toshiru Mifune, who is just fantastic. His arm twitch is great.

Agreed.

Dodgeball: Still my favorite frat-pack comedy (I'm including all Ferrell/Apatow/Vaughn comedies in that). I find hysterical. There are some really, really, funny lines in there. The actors know what they're doing- this is one of the few places I like Ben Stiller in. And the movie's cameos are inspired. Three of the best cameos I've seen. Theodore Shapiro's score is quite good.

Disagree. Dodgeball is one of Stiller's worst performances IMO. Anchorman and any other Apatow film are severely greater.

Also saw In Bruges last night....my 2008 movie year has finally started. First good movie of the year that I've seen. And what a movie......

Agreed.

Only one thing matters in that movie, how was the Jet Li vs Jackie Chan fight?

Pretty good, I guess.

Well, Chuck Norris was amazing. The rest of the film is only competent.

The Forbidden Kingdom (**)

Pretty bad movie, crappy CGI, bad dialogue and acting, but a midly interesting story with some decent fight scenes. A lot of it was ridiculous but I guess you need to go in with an unrealistic mind.

The score was surprisingly good IMO. However, the whip chick's theme sounded like a Morricone western, don't know how that got in there.

I never saw the end, cause right when the kid kicked the thug in the head towards the end the screen turned white. I thought it was a part of the movie but then my friends and I bursted out laughing because of the incredible timing. The manager said it would take 15-20 minutes to fix, so we just left with a free movie pass. Did I mention I saw the movie for free? Hellll yeahh!

Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears A Who! (**1/2)

Decent flick, but FOX Animation is never really anything spectacular. A good laugh occasionally, but nothing really funny. I particularly love the scene when Steve Carrel is at the dentist though.

Only other thing that needs to be mentioned is the score. Some of John Powell's finest compositions. Fit the film like a glove, despite it being not so great. Good melodies, awesome instruments like always, and the classic Powell style that I love. Perfect score.

I just saw it, and found it to be quite boring. I laughed three times at most. I did enjoy the design of Whoville, though. And the score made it far more watchable...the score in the last 15-20 minutes sounded phenominal, can't wait to get it (after the dissapointment of Jumper).

Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears A Who! (**1/2)

Decent flick, but FOX Animation is never really anything spectacular. A good laugh occasionally, but nothing really funny. I particularly love the scene when Steve Carrel is at the dentist though.

Only other thing that needs to be mentioned is the score. Some of John Powell's finest compositions. Fit the film like a glove, despite it being not so great. Good melodies, awesome instruments like always, and the classic Powell style that I love. Perfect score.

I just saw it, and found it to be quite boring. I laughed three times at most. I did enjoy the design of Whoville, though. And the score made it far more watchable...the score in the last 15-20 minutes sounded phenominal, can't wait to get it (after the dissapointment of Jumper).

I agree. Fantastic signature Powell. The Horton Suite is just amazing. As for the movie, I forgot about the anime spoof scene, that was actually pretty funny. Other than that, the dentist sequence, and some other small things, it wasn't anything special.

Falling Down. An outstanding performance by Douglas, gotta give him that. :lol::) Also very solid by Duvall (of whom I'd expect no less of course).

Saw Kevin Reynold's Tristan & Isolde. Meh. Not bad. But not particularly good. Great look, some likable performances by Sophia Myles, Rufus Sewell and the insane Irish guy from Braveheart. But it never lifts off. Rather dull for such a thrilling tale.

And In Bruges really stuck with me. To me, this is another auspicious debut, where a stage personality makes a film that just wows you with how cinematic it is. The film is beautifully shot, with some great individual shots and shot progressions. Ralph Fiennes' introduction into the film is brilliant, and the way McDonough leads up to it is fantastic. The performances are fantastic, the feel of the film, the strong sense of the geography (which is woefully underestimated element in filmmaking, IMO), the ever dependable Carter Burwell's score, and, of course the dialogue. I am at a loss, as this is my first experience of McDonough's work...but the dialogue is splendid. I can't say it sounded realistic...but it flwos and develops extremely convincingly. Despite some awkward plot elements (Fiennes final scene doesn't come off well, IMO_, I don't understand the relatively cold reviews the film has been getting.

I haven't seen In Bruges, but I have seen Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World, which is the only great 2008 movies I've seen so far. Then again, I've only seen about nine.

Ted

Is Shine a Light the only good one?

Whoops. Forgot that one. I've seen four. Shine a Light and In Bruges were terrific. Horton Hears A Who was bland. Be Kind Rewind was bad for several reasons. Had some good thing, but a really bad film.

I haven't seen In Bruges, but I have seen Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World, which is the only great 2008 movies I've seen so far. Then again, I've only seen about nine.

Ted

This is the first I've heard of Herzog's film....sounds like it could be a spectacular and unique film. I should see more of his stuff, only seen three so far.

I didn't like it. While it is certainly more 'real' than most other movies of the sort, it kinda felt flimsy compared to the harrowing jungle experience that is Aguire, The Wrath of God.

Constantine

A competent film, and one of the better comic-book movies (huge departures from the source notwithstanding), but it's hampered by numerous problems.

The story is unique, and is deserving of a movie, but the script see-saws between having some great scenes (the entrance of the Devil) with some truly horrendous dialogue and one-liners (mostly uttered by Constantine). The cast is fine, Reeves didn't bother me and seemed suited for the role, and Weisz wasn't bad either. It was perfect to cast Stormare as the Devil, though.

Brian Tyler's score is good, with a nice theme for Constantine, but I would've been curious to hear what it would've been like before the studios brought Badelt it.

Also watching Ghost Rider, out of curiosity. Terrible, terrible film.

I didn't like it. While it is certainly more 'real' than most other movies of the sort, it kinda felt flimsy compared to the harrowing jungle experience that is Aguire, The Wrath of God.

True! Resque Dawn felt like "How can I make a Hollywood picture (to cash in) and still remain faithfull to the Herzog in me"?

The Natural: Damnit! I fell asleep. And I loved this flick in the 80s!

In The Bedroom: Good. A typical TV movie subject elevated to a higher level. The aftertaste isn't much different though.

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay

I liked the first one. If you didn't, well, this is more of the same. I thought this one was even funnier than White Castle; I laughed so hard that I got congested.

Only for fans of stoooopid movies.

True! Resque Dawn felt like "How can I make a Hollywood picture (to cash in) and still remain faithfull to the Herzog in me"?

Yes, I'm sure Herzog thinks like that. He wants to stay true to the Herzog in him. Come on....

Ted

Not literally, of course.

Have you never talked to artists, Ted? It's all that matters to them. 'Money' or 'maintaining artistic integrity'. I though of both when I watched Rescue Dawn.

The Natural: Damnit! I fell asleep. And I loved this flick in the 80s!

Yes, as you get older you proportionately stop liking things, a process with a remarkable retro-active effect.

Have you never talked to artists, Ted? It's all that matters to them. 'Money' or 'maintaining artistic integrity'. I though of both when I watched Rescue Dawn.

Have you ever listened to Herzog talk? He's a bit above "maintaining artistic integrity." I don't think I've ever heard him say such a thing. Real artists don't talk like that. A lot of so-called artists do, though.

Ted

I love Herzog's writings and interviews. He often tears down one artistic poposity after another. Polanski is similar. They both seem to particularly dislike the French way of thinking when it comes to films. And I'm sure Herzog did not think to himself what Alex posted (and Alex did not suggest he did), but the feel of it was Herzog does a Hollywood movie- it's full of Herzog, but compared to Herzog doing Herzog, it felt to me like Herzog-lite. Of course, this is based on a tiny part of his filmography and his writings (and on a friend of mine's stories, one who had a small part in one of Herzog's films) but the little I've experienced made quite an impact.

And I'm sure Herzog did not think to himself what Alex posted (and Alex did not suggest he did), but the feel of it was Herzog does a Hollywood movie- it's full of Herzog, but compared to Herzog doing Herzog, it felt to me like Herzog-lite.

Ummm... what?

I agree that the end feeling Hollywood, but the rest of the movie does not. And Herzog has always played with grandiosity and dramatism, and has frequently spoken highly of Hollywood filmmaking. He's not betraying his established aesthetic style just because he wraps things up a little bit more tightly than he has in the past.

Ted

Have you ever listened to Herzog talk? He's a bit above "maintaining artistic integrity." I don't think I've ever heard him say such a thing. Real artists don't talk like that. A lot of so-called artists do, though.

Ted

Sure they do. Rescue Dawn did. You see, their work never lies.

It's especially the real artists that talked about the importance of artistic integrity. They won't let their artistry be compromised by commercialism. Of course, there is no room for such freedom in the Hollywood movie industry. There, artists like Michael Bay go to work to earn a buck. They are slaves to the system, a system that is out to entertain the public, not to give freedom to the their art.

Don't ever think you can learn about what artists think from reading interviews or watching the Extra Features on a DVD. That's just Hollywood talking to ya.

Alex

I ask again: Have you read interviews with Herzog? Heard him talk in his documentaries? Seen him give a talk somewhere? Real artists are very aware of commercialism, and don't think that "artistic integrity" can stand independent of commerce. The two are entwined. It's not commerce that taints art, but art that taints commerce. No matter what budget a film is made on, it is always a piece of commerce, even if it's never released.

And I would argue that there is varying degrees of freedom. Look at Mann's Miami Vice, Spielberg's A.I., or even Zemeckis' Beowulf. These are movies that were mass marketed to death because of the money involved, but none of them did well. I think you'd be surprised with the amount of slack that studios give established directors. The most successful artists who work in Hollywood know how to work the system. A great example of this is Guillermo Del Toro. I'm sure he's had has fair share of luck along the way, but he is also very intelligent when it comes to making the movies he wants to make. Some directors continually get the short end of the stick, though.

The point is that artistic integrity is not the "good" to commercialism's "evil." Successful filmmakers know that art is commerce, and commerce is (sometimes) art. How you work within that system and exploit the ambiguities, will determine how successful you can be. Often, the ones that believe in artistic integrity so strongly end up failing miserably.

Now that "indies" are meshing with "Hollywood," the line of commercialism is much more blurred now, and there are varying degrees of freedom in all kind of movies, even Hollywood.

Ted

I Am Legend: I liked it. Very sad, very emotional, very good. But the SFX were awful. And Howard's score was very good, too. I'll definetly look into getting that . ***/*****

I ask again: Have you read interviews with Herzog? Heard him talk in his documentaries? Seen him give a talk somewhere? Real artists are very aware of commercialism, and don't think that "artistic integrity" can stand independent of commerce. The two are entwined. It's not commerce that taints art, but art that taints commerce. No matter what budget a film is made on, it is always a piece of commerce, even if it's never released.

Is there a kind of established norm for being a 'real' artist or a 'false' one, for that matter? I find all this 'what real artists think' talking incredibly backwards...as if americans now have adapted european art snobbiness ca. 1900. It's as if people need to boast about their intellect by stating lofty things about art as if Moses brought the very definition of high art from Mount Sinai and they read it first.

Ted, when thinking of artists, do you always think about commercial filmmakers and theatrical releases? There are art forms that don't rely on budgets. Commercial film is probably the least free art form for any artist to express himself in. It's so unpure that it isn't always seen as a real art form. When I talk about artists, I talk about them in general. Artistic integrity is someting every artist comtemplates about. If not, then there not real artists.

And I would argue that there is varying degrees of freedom. Look at Mann's Miami Vice, Spielberg's A.I., or even Zemeckis' Beowulf. These are movies that were mass marketed to death because of the money involved, but none of them did well. I think you'd be surprised with the amount of slack that studios give established directors. The most successful artists who work in Hollywood know how to work the system. A great example of this is Guillermo Del Toro. I'm sure he's had has fair share of luck along the way, but he is also very intelligent when it comes to making the movies he wants to make. Some directors continually get the short end of the stick, though.

I agree with that. A good way to work the system is to simply indulge it, gain its trust, so that maybe the next time they forget to put you on a leash. But I sometimes wonder if the artists working under these conditions aren't already conditioned by the end goal. An art form that is limited by bounderies can certainly result in inventiveness but I think it's also responsible of slowing down things. How many film makers aren't out there who love and admire Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey? Well Ted, I haven't seen anything like it ever since. When looking at cinematic history, is the art of film progressing or is it paralyzed by too much controll?

Alex