What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

You and I are back in agreement, Alex. I really kinda hate Superman II; it's borderline inept in places.

I do think the Richard Donner cut is a substantial improvement, though.

Inept and cheesy. I'm sure the Donner Cut is better and more coherent in look. Still, the cheesiness of it all ...

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the Donner Cut is better and more coherent in look. Still, the cheesiness of it all ...

Donner's version is anything but a coherent movie. I really liked new material with Reeve and Brando, but as a whole, it doesn't work. It's a mix of two different movies with huge leaps in logic and poorly done special effects. It wasn't worth all the hype. A major disappointment. :)

Karol

I don't get this whole "dated" complaint. Isn't there any interest or curiosity on the styles and approaches of different eras?

it is a petty and stupid criticism

I don't get this whole "dated" complaint. Isn't there any interest or curiosity on the styles and approaches of different eras?

it is a petty and stupid criticism

Unfortunately some movies might seem "dated" when they bring some of the cheesier or lesser moments from the time period they were made in. That's one of the reasons I really don't like songs from that time period included in films, and that can include songs specifically written for the movie.

But there are times when the dated excuse is as lame as the ones used for not watching older films because they are Black & White or listening to older film scores because they are in mono.

Unfortunately some movies might seem "dated" when they bring some of the cheesier or lesser moments from the time period they were made in. That's one of the reasons I really don't like songs from that time period included in films, and that can include songs specifically written for the movie.

Which is why orchestral film score is always the best thing for any film for it doesn't age as drastically :)

Karol

You and I are back in agreement, Alex. I really kinda hate Superman II; it's borderline inept in places.

How can one hate such a fun movie? Sure, it's not exactly a great piece of work, but as guilty pleasures go Superman II ticks all the right boxes. The fact that it features one the THE best comedy villains ever in General Zod, is the icing on the cake.

Which is why orchestral film score is always the best thing for any film for it doesn't age as drastically :)

Karol

Score or SFX are details. That's not why I deem a film dated or timeless.

The Donner cut of Superman II is less cheesy. It's a vast improvement over Lester's version and really very enjoyable when you accept it for what it is: a cobbled together look at what might have been.

Certain kind of humor can date a film, I feel. Also, nothing dates a film more than a cheap sounding 80's score.

"Cheap" (low quality) is never good unless it has an artistic function.

Does 'The Donner Cut' come seperately?

How can one hate such a fun movie? Sure, it's not exactly a great piece of work, but as guilty pleasures go Superman II ticks all the right boxes. The fact that it features one the THE best comedy villains ever in General Zod, is the icing on the cake.

Oh, I don't really hate it; I just really kinda hate it.

Superman II was one of my absolute favorite movies when I was a child, but as I started to grow up, it was one of the movies -- along with Return of the Jedi and Willow and others I can't think of right now for some reason -- that seemed to get less good every time I watched them.

I let it sit for a decade or so, and then rewatched it with some friends not long before Superman Returns came out. My friend's wife had never seen the Christopher Reeve movies, so we watched Superman one night, and she flipped out over it. We watched Superman II the next night, and all three of us sat there sort of horrified at how bad it is in comparison. Yes, sure, I know there is some -- some -- severely corny humor in Superman, but there's a lot more of it in the sequel, and there's almost nothing to balance it out like there is in the first movie.

It's not just the humor, though. It's everything. The pacing is wrong, the villains are almost entirely without menace, the performances (Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman excepted) are a big step down, the music is mostly a watered-down disappointment, the story makes almost no sense in certain key areas . . . I don't know what else to say. The big fight sequence is well-done, but ruined by incessant interjections of Lesterian "humor." I guess I like parts of the love story well enough. Um, what else . . . did I mention Gene Hackman was good? In scenes directed entirely by Richard Donner?

It's just a bad movie. Not unwatchable, by any means. But I do kinda hate it, simply because it used to be one of my favorite movies when I was too young to know any better; so I resent the fact that I'm not a child anymore, I guess. But only a little bit, and then only occasionally, and hey, I've still got the 1978 Superman that I can watch: that one almost entirely survived the trip into adulthood.

I cannot disagree with you about the quality of the thing, it is a poor movie and there is no escaping that. In some respects though, its the bad things about it, the stuff you mentioned, which actually add to the overall charm. Sure it could have been a far better sequel, but I kinda like it the way it is. Superman II is a really crumby movie, but I love it to bits nonetheless. Blame nostalgia :o

I started watching New York Stories, the Scorsese/Allen/Coppola shot film collection. Only had time for the first one so far. But I suspect it will be the best. Scorsese's segment, Life Experience, starring Nick Nolte and Rosanna Arquette, is a fantastic short film. I don't think I've seen Nolte doing better work. He plays an artist obsessed with his assistant (Arquette), who wants to leave him. A small, precise, gem.

I cannot disagree with you about the quality of the thing, it is a poor movie and there is no escaping that. In some respects though, its the bad things about it, the stuff you mentioned, which actually add to the overall charm. Sure it could have been a far better sequel, but I kinda like it the way it is. Superman II is a really crumby movie, but I love it to bits nonetheless. Blame nostalgia :o

It's weird . . . there are movies from the same era that I still love despite their shortcomings. Krull, for example, or The Last Starfighter. Hell, I could watch either one of those right now, and chuckle the whole way through. But I've got no slack in me to cut for Superman II. I have no idea why.

I started watching New York Stories, the Scorsese/Allen/Coppola shot film collection. Only had time for the first one so far. But I suspect it will be the best. Scorsese's segment, Life Experience, starring Nick Nolte and Rosanna Arquette, is a fantastic short film. I don't think I've seen Nolte doing better work. He plays an artist obsessed with his assistant (Arquette), who wants to leave him. A small, precise, gem.

It's been a long time since I saw that movie, but my memory is that I liked all three segments. I was on a Woody Allen kick at the time, so I enjoyed that segment the most . . . I'd probably be more into Scorsese's now.

Certain kind of humor can date a film, I feel. Also, nothing dates a film more than a cheap sounding 80's score.

"Cheap" (low quality) is never good unless it has an artistic function.

Does 'The Donner Cut' come seperately?

didn't you get it with your tv or dvd player purchase, you seemed to have gotten so many then.

Hellboy: The Golden Army

Disappointing, the first one was better. There were plot threads that were re-opened after being resolved in the first film (antagonism between Hellboy and Manning) and although Del Toro has a great love for the material, he needs to know when to cut stuff down as there were pacing issues. Some of the dialogue was a bit hokey, and even though Doug Jones' work is great, I really wished they had brought back David Hyde Pierce. I'm also starting to get tired of the sound Elfman's been using. The score was largely forgettable and I actually wished Beltrami had been used.

I'll buy it on dvd though if it has a cast commentary. The one on the first film was great.

Disappointing, the first one was better.

Strange, the film gets very good responses, Q-man.

Equilibrium: Christian Bale in a George Orwellian story told in pure Matrix style so that it would communicate with new audiences. The movie is a bit simplistic and therefore amazingly overrated by the posters at IMDB (7,8/10). I mean, the Mona Lisa? So that everyone would recognize a painting? A cute puppy dog to get feelings out of a man? Come on!

Alex

I watched Hellboy 2 last night actually. I enjoyed it about as much as I did the first one, though at a push I'd probably still say I prefer the first movie. There was lots to like in the sequel and its lightness of tone (compared to the darkness of the original) felt right for the story. I just love how del Toro frames his shots, there is something very magical about his style, and I don't think I've seen so many weird and wonderful creatures in a one movie since The Neverending Story.

The script was pretty funny, if a bit cute, but that's what makes Hellboy so charming I suppose. There is a moment of extreme, almost surreal visual beauty about half way through - it was a stunning moment and totally unexpected in a movie that is basically about monsters. There is also a very funny slapstick moment too, involving many opening doors at once... great stuff indeed! Decent pacing (I was never bored), great characters, including a couple of effective 'villains' and a satisfying climax make Hellboy 2 a solid 4/5 star movie. Same as the first and miles better than Indy IV.

Disappointing, the first one was better.

Strange, the film gets very good responses, Q-man.

Equilibrium: Christian Bale in a George Orwellian story told in pure Matrix style so that it would communicate with new audiences. The movie is a bit simplistic and therefore amazingly overrated by the posters at IMDB (7,8/10). I mean, the Mona Lisa? So that everyone would recognize a painting? A cute puppy dog to get feelings out of a man? Come on!

Alex

I used to really love Equilibrium, but that was awhile ago when it came out. It is pretty bad, with all the excessive action and bad acting. Bale is the only plus side to it, and I suppose the story is decent as well. There aren't many futuristic dystopia films.

Not many good ones then. A Clockwork Orange is the only one I can think of.

off the top of my head

Blade Runner, Children of Men, Escape From New York, Gattaca, Logan's Run, Metropolis, THX 1138, Mad Max, 12 Monkeys, The Matrix

I often forget that POTA is actually set in the post-apocalyptic future, probably because it's only revealed at the end.

off the top of my head

Blade Runner, Children of Men, Escape From New York, Gattaca, Logan's Run, Metropolis, THX 1138, Mad Max, 12 Monkeys, The Matrix

I completely forgot about Blade Runner and Children Of Men (one of my favorite movies). Gattaca was a decent film, as was 12 Monkeys.

How can you forget about all those movies and not Equilibrium:P? You presence here at the film board is fishy, Koray ;) . There's also Brazil, Alphaville, Dark City, Ghost In A shell, Robocop, The City of Lost Children, Strange Days, Fahrenheit 451, Spielberg's A.I., Minority Report, ... and 1984.

Yes, in fact, Equilibrium is one of the worst dystopian future films out there.

Alex

How can you forget about all those movies and not Equilibrium8O? You presence here at the film board is fishy, Koray ;) . There's also Brazil, Alphaville, Dark City, Ghost In A shell, Robocop, The City of Lost Children, Strange Days, Fahrenheit 451, Spielberg's A.I., Minority Report, ... and 1984.

Yes, in fact, Equilibrium is one of the worst dystopian future films out there.

Haha, yeah sometimes I just forget things and don't think before I post. The Fahrenheit 451 film is pretty bad though, I've been anxiously awaiting Darabont's remake for some time, but he has never gotten around to it. It's one of my favorite books.

Pretty bad? I haven't seen it since school, so I barely remember it, but it's generally held in high regard. And with names like Francois Truffaut and Oskar Werner, I'd assume a certain level of quality. Score's fabulous, too, from what I recall (should get the re-rec).

If I recall, I remember, in the English translation of Farenheit 451, there was an interview with Ray Bradbury about the film. He commented that the exclusion of the "Dog" was regretful, yet ultimately necessary due to the technology at the times. Also, I do not deem it fair to judge a film on its faithfulness to the novel.

If I recall, I remember, in the English translation of Farenheit 451, there was an interview with Ray Bradbury about the film. He commented that the exclusion of the "Dog" was regretful, yet ultimately necessary due to the technology at the times. Also, I do not deem it fair to judge a film on its faithfulness to the novel.

Yes in the interview he states that. I don't judge usually on adaptation, but the dog was a huge part of the story. I also didn't like how the same actress played 2 characters. Also, the omission of...er can't remember his name, but another important character was omitted.

Anyway, he mentions Mel Gibson's wish to direct but ultimate decision to produce the film, with Frank Darabont up for writing and directing. This interview was years ago, around 05 I believe, and nothing has been started. A shame.

Bradbury also mentioned how Herrmann's score was great.

Beautiful score indeed. An absolute favorite of mine.

Wall-E: I expected it was going to be different from other animation films but in the end it's just the same ... only better. Personally, I wish the whole movie was like the first act.

Alex

I do agree, Alex, that the movie did seem to dumb down a bit in the second half. The rather obvious and biteless shot at consumerism (though it did have it's moments) did feel out of place, not to mention hypocritical, considering the huge Apple presence in the film. But still, a magical film. And the character was great throughout.