What is your favorite Alien score?

Taikomochi

Of all six movies featuring aliens, which score was your favorite?

-Alien

-Aliens

-Alien3

-Alien : Resurrection

-Alien VS. Predator

-Alien VS. Predator 2(unfortunately)

To me, it's close between Alien3 and Aliens. I really liked "The Entrapment", but i gotta say, Horner's score is just superior.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it works surprisingly well in the film considering all that happened to it, but it can't be judged that way - because most of the great music didn't even appear in the film.

Alien is a masterful score, hands down.

Alien 3 is pretty unique, and I'm always very fond of Goldenthal.

Aliens is Horner doing his thing, not really original, but still fun.

But Alien is the best, followed by Alien 3.

Although, had i asked "Which score do you think is matched up with the movie best" that Alien3 might not be in so many answers. Even Goldenthal freely admits they weren't put together right.

Although, had i asked "Which score do you think is matched up with the movie best" that Alien3 might not be in so many answers. Even Goldenthal freely admits they weren't put together right.

Same with the first two. Alien movies have a string of bad luck in regards to the marriage of editing and music.

And still it works magnificently. As does the movie, I keep saying.

And still it works magnificently. As does the movie, I keep saying.

Perhaps. I think one place the butchering worked in 3 was "The Entrapment" scene. That wierd horn-type sound they added added a dramatic feel i enjoyed.

Since I know very little of the Alien score I'll gladly vote for Aliens. Probably my favourite militaristic score along with Predator. The LSO's untouchable brass and percussion in Aliens just blows me away every time.

I'm uncertain on this, but wasn't there a reference to Goldmith's Alien towards the end of Aliens? The bit where the Alien queen appears in the lift.

Yes, tracked is probably the better the description. I seem to remember my ears perking up at the sudden and familar sound of it. Baring in mind that I'm not entirely sure of its timing.

Goldsmith's music is tracked into the scene where the Queen is coming out of the elevator just before Bishop picks them up.

Horner did "borrow" Goldsmith's Capricorn One theme, used during the first half of "Futile Escape".

Alien and Alien 3, Aliens sounds to me as a "pot-pourri" of earlier Horner's score with his famous but over used Klingons theme he toke from a portion of OUTLAND main theme ... Alien ressurection was fun to have "the temple of doom" again ( the percussions , ahahaha ) ...

Goldsmith's music is tracked into the scene where the Queen is coming out of the elevator just before Bishop picks them up.

Wasn't some of that Goldsmith music not even used in Alien?

To make things even more crazy, one of the unused cues from Aliens eventually ended up in... Die Hard. :lol:

For me, it's..

Aliens

Alien

Alien cubed

AVP:R

The less said about the other scores, the better.

Yeah, the Resolution part of "Resolution and Hyperspace" of the Aliens score was used very effectively when foul-mouthed John McClane and his gun-totting cop friend Al Powell blow away the Karl the bad guy at the end of Die Hard movie.

Wasn't some of that Goldsmith music not even used in Alien?

Yes.

To make things even more crazy, one of the unused cues from Aliens eventually ended up in... Die Hard. :lol:

And just before that cue they also tracked in music from John Scott's Man On Fire.