Piano Transcriptions

tony69

Hi, I'm looking for some good piano transcriptions of JW's concert pieces (of the film scores). I've made a couple, but I was wondering if anyone else has some more? I have an upcoming gig that wants alot of JW and I hate the cheap arrangements that they sell under JW's name (like 1 minutes of bad arranging (ex. star wars theme) vs. a full 5 minute concert suite). I don't have time to arrange them all myself so I was wondering if anyone here has some? thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree... I gave up on published arrangements of JW's music and learned that if I wanted a good transcription I would have to do the work myself. It does take a lot of time, but if you have it and the desire, it's well worth it.

I'd give you the transcription I made of the Star Wars overture (see the link in my signature), but I never wrote it down on paper outside of some scribble scratch notes that no one would be able to read.

Indeed, while the idea is noble I would only recommend a small percentage of the transcriptions from Pianothemes. A lot of them are missing the essential textures which make the original pieces so special. Obviously not everything can be translated to piano, and Williams' contrapuntal writing is a big example of this.

Well, with some creative arranging decisions you can achieve quite good results even in piano form (sure, that works better for some pieces than for others). Many pieces on pianothemes just seem to me as if they were played in with a midi keyboard and transformed into pdf format without much formatting work... the eye also takes part in listening/playing 8O I find it so much more engaging to read/play music when there are proper phrasings in the sheets and more expression text etc. ...

I personally like my arrangement of "Road to Chicago" (see here (sorry for the blatant plug)) better than the one there, one reason might be that I always try to convey something of the orchestral scope by spreading things out instead of keeping the chords close in one hand, somehow it sounds grander that way... although their choice of key signature was a bit more fortunate than mine, F# major wouldn't make as many b's and double b's necessary as Gb major ;)

But Eric_JWfan, I GREATLY enjoyed your version of the Star Wars main title!! It's very accurate to the score, and I was astounded how you managed to include so many textural details, which I didn't believe was possible beforehand... great work! And amazing playing... you're really talented :blink:

The Transcriptions on that sight are pretty poor and un-pianistic.

Eric you did a wonderful job on your Star Wars transcription.

Regarding strict piano transcription from orchestra, sometimes the piano needs

many things added or voiced differently to work. ALA Power 5 chords work great on the piano

for big hits, but full voiced chords work better on orchestra. Repeated notes in orchestra work fine

but usually are awkward on piano and must become tremelos. etc..etc..

The Transcriptions on that sight are pretty poor and un-pianistic.

You are correct. However, I did have a great time trying to play the Asteroid Field. A lot of fun!!!! Thank you for the post. And thanks to whomever transcribed it and posted. Great stuff!

I transcribed the epilogue for trumpet trio and strings from "War of the worlds" for piano when it came out. I never completed it (the coda is missing), but the work I did was accurate according to the score. It works astoundingly well for piano if you ask me, and the piece offers great freedom in terms of interpretation. I'll transfer my notes to computer and upload it if somebody would be interested enough to perform or study it?

- Mark :lol:

I transcribed the epilogue for trumpet trio and strings from "War of the worlds" for piano when it came out. I never completed it (the coda is missing), but the work I did was accurate according to the score. It works astoundingly well for piano if you ask me, and the piece offers great freedom in terms of interpretation. I'll transfer my notes to computer and upload it if somebody would be interested enough to perform or study it?

- Mark :)

I'll give it a try, sure why not. :D

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...