Steven Awalt announces the closing of SpielbergFilms.com

Hlao-roo

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that´s really sad, because that site is just soo good. but somehow i don´t really believe that it´s over, i could easily imagine Spielberg supporting the site financially or someone else taking it over. i don´t believe it´ll just go

It's moral, you know?

Anyway, sad to hear of this site's closing. I didn't visit, but it seemed to be the prime source for Spielberg news and discussion.

I'm very sad to see that site go.

I wasn't part of its community, or really a frequent visitor, but it was a well of great information on all things Spielberg.

RIP, SpielbergFilms.com? ;)

Sure it's sad, but as long as Spielberg himself doesn't retire I'm happy!

Sending Johnny good vibes right now . . . ;) (Is he done writing yet? Or is he still working on the climactic scenes??? )

We're next!

Unfortunately that was almost my first thought as well.

I wasn't a regular visitor either, but I certainly did listen anytime Steven had any news about Spielberg and enjoyed his infrequent visits here. Sad news indeed.

Even though I consider myself a regular visitor of that site, I always felt I was there less than I would have liked.

Steven, thanks for all of the hard work. You should be proud of everything you accomplished.

Indeed. Your precedent will not be easily forgotten, Steven.

Sending Johnny good vibes right now . . . :) (Is he done writing yet? Or is he still working on the climactic scenes??? )

Idiot.

Oh no. Very sad to read this... Surely this was one of the most professional and interesting 'unofficial' sites on the web. Thanks to Steven Awalt for that.

Sending Johnny good vibes right now . . . :lol: (Is he done writing yet? Or is he still working on the climactic scenes??? )

Idiot.

:lol:

I'm saddened by this news. Although I wasn't a member there I did enjoy dropping in from time to time.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but... why not let someone else take over the site?

That's something you'll have to ask Steven Awalt. But when Andy Lindhal decided to cease updates on scorereviews.com, for example, his rationale for not transferring ownership/maintenance was essentially that the site was his own "baby." All the design and coding and so on was his intellectual property, and he didn't feel particularly inclined to turn it over to anyone else.

Spielbergfilms has been a staple in my daily web browsing for the nearly seven years, so it will be tough to see it go. That said, Steven Awalt has done a wonderful job with the site and has brought a consistent level of quality throughout the site's existence. Thanks, Steven!

Ted

it was one of the very best sites on the net hands down

I wish Steve, who is a fine individual, who graciously put up with my crap for years, all the best.

Thanks to everyone for such kind comments about SpielbergFilms here. Sorry if the site's closure comes as a disappointment, but thank you all for so many years of giving me the honor of your readership.

On the positive side -- just in case you hadn't heard -- our forum is going to be staying after under the care of the community. I'll still be hanging out there as a fan, but won't be doing any more day-to-day administration. In that vein, the main site will still be closing down next Thursday, but I couldn't say no to the readers and forum members who hoped it could at least stay open.

I owe an eternal thanks to Ricard and jwfan.com. Back when I launched SpielbergFilms in 2001, Ricard was the first publisher to give our site any attention. The seed of my readership was planted through jwfan, so I've always considered this place very special to me even if I haven't posted often over the years.