Fanfare for the John Williams Fan

AI

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurah! Finally, a Fanfare for us!

But I can't hear it. I clicked on "Download This File," then it said "Wrong Link! Click Here to Download The File," and I clicked, and it sent me back to the same place.

Could somebody put it on a different site or something?

Wow AI! That's a fantastic piece. The Maestro himself would be proud I think. It's a great homage, but also a fun piece in its own right. Very nice orchestration.

What else have you written?

What program did you use?

Thank you for the fanfare, AI!

A lot of nice things in it; I especially like alot of the wind chime "glisses" that adds such a typically Williamsesque shine to it.

Thematically, I think the strongest section, and by far the most effective one, enters at ca.3.20, or thereabouts, and I think I would have cut quite a bit to make it more compact and impactful. In its present state, you risk it sounding a little bit "amorpheous", although I suspect some of that could be adjusted in a live performance (where more tautness would be present simply because the music would be phrased "musically").

Also, some of the trumpet writing sounds a bit like "midi-trumpet" writing, I don't always hear that you truly think in terms of actual instruments, and how they feel to play (but here again, I could be deluded by the midi-timbres, which makes everything sound a little bit like a "wash").

It's nice to finally hear some of your work, after thus far having only been acquainted with your comments, critiques and poems!

;)

Good Cat, pixie.

I would like to know some other thoughts from the other members whom I wrote this for. Good Cats don't exist in a vacuum of goodness to them selves. Good Cats tend to feel bad if it doesnt get any response.

I won't bite, I'm just a squirrel, tryin to get a nut. What do you think about my piece? please tell me, so I can make it better.

AI, I just got the chance to hear it (couldn't play it one the original link, but the one on the Main Page worked fine). What a great piece of music!!!!! My favorite part was at 2:52, with that melody that you developed into a great, booming big fanfare. I'm extremely impressed, great work!!!!! That fanfare makes me proud to be a JWFan!

;) JwfanFanfare_64kb.mp3 (Fanfare for the John Williams Fan)

If you feel proud to be a JWFAN, then I have done my job.

Damn, you people are a Hard Sell.

Ok, I will do it with a real orchestra.

Great work !

Some definite JW influence in there ! ;)

It was just a bit inconsistent at times.

I agree the last minute is the best part !

Thanks!

Pity I can't download it either. ;)

After entering the visual code, I got to a page of advertisement for this download site, then nothing.

"Merci de patienter" ("Please wait") and that's all-- it doesn't even specify how long.

:D

Great idea, anyway.

"Ees making it up as ee goes along" ~ Life of Brian

Seriously, thanks for writing it. But i thought you 'might' appreciate the honesty too. ;)

I know what you're saying. The piece definitely has that "stream of consciousness" thing going on. However, I think that's the point of this piece. It feels like a fantasia, and I really like how you're never sure what's going to happen next. There are many great pieces out there that are improvisatory in nature. I think AI has composed a particularly good one. It doesn't sound "half-finished" or "thrown together", mainly because he's done such a great job with the orchestration, but also because many of the melodic ideas that appear throughout the piece are clearly based on the motives we hear in the first 30 seconds. In that way the piece feels organic, like it naturally grows from the seeds planted at the very start.

If Blumenkohl is going to do such a thing, could I ask that he wait as I am going to post a companion piece soon, for JW's birthday, called Prologue from Born on the Eighth of February.