The Day the Earth Stood Still - The composer you'd choose

Taikomochi

So, they are working on a remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" as many of us know. My question to you is, what composer do you think would do the best job scoring it? Although, I'd say Jerry Goldsmith, but there would be a few complications... I might go with... Mark Snow. He has experience with Sci-Fi shows(Smallville sucked though). Who would you pick?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is a bad idea to remake this film and looking at the current crop of composers out there the only ones I would choose are above wasting their time on a picture that will more than likely be awful, given the current trend of remakes.

Besides I was under the impression Tyler Bates was up for scoring this film.

I'd piss on any composer who would dare thread on Herrmann's hallowed ground...except Jim Horner...what a wonderful guy ;)

Or, since we are in the 21st century after all, Danny Elfman.

We've already heard Elfman's take, Mars Attacks!, albiet a bit tongue and cheek.

Tyler Bates is one of the worst composers in the mainstream. It's a travesty he gets so many high profile projects.

he's the composer everybody dumps their crap on that they don't care about the score. 300, Halloween, See No Evil, You got served. I proudly rest my case.

Well doh, me obviously. But Marcus may be a better choice, because he is a whiny fellow who likes to twist the knife before it's even firmly in place.

Roque Baños wrote a splendid score for The Machinist, in a very Hermannesque style without being plagiaristic.

But then, what kind of a remake are they intending to do? Maybe a John Powell action score would better suit it.

I guess I just don't understand why Hollywood is so into remaking classics. Most don't seem to do well with critics or at the box office (See The Truth about Charlie, Psycho, Planet of the Apes, The Manchurian Candidate, All the King's Men, etc.). There's no way to improve on the original The Day the Earth Stood Still so leave it alone. Pretty soon they'll be giving us Gone with the Wind with Lindsay Lohan and Ben Affleck. Knock it off!

Well doh, me obviously. But Marcus may be a better choice, because he is a whiny fellow who likes to twist the knife before it's even firmly in place.

:lol:

Come again?

AI, have I offended you in any way? If so, I'm very sorry! And I'm sure I never meant to. :mellow:

FYI, I've always liked and appreciated your presence, be it critical. poetic or musical.

(I hope you didn't find my comments on your fanfare too critical. I only offered my honest professional opinion, as it seemed to me you are serious about your work.)

I have no interest in this project whatsoever, but I'd like to hear a new score by Elliot Goldenthal. I think he could do wonderful things with a story such as this.

And, if he could refrain from echoing other composers and do something truly standout, my curiosity would be piqued if Horner were announced as the composer. Though I fear that's asking for something rather large.

Danny Elfman would be the best composer for this project. Not just because he sited the screening of that film as what got him to love film music, but because he's the best today besides Williams. And I'd gladly hear Williams' score, but it seems like Elfman would be better suited for this particular remake.

So the project isn't dead at all. From SciFi.com:

Cleese To Join Day Remake

Monty Python veteran John Cleese is in negotiations to join Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly and Jaden Smith in the cast of the upcoming remake of the 1951 SF classic The Day the Earth Stood Still, according to IGN Movies.

Cleese will play the role of physicist Dr. Barnhardt, a Nobel laureate who plays a key part in figuring out the mission and meaning of the arrival of the alien Klaatu (played by Reeves). The cast also includes Kathy Bates and Jon Hamm.

Scott Derrickson (The Exorcism of Emily Rose) is directing the film, which is currently shooting in Vancouver and set for release on Dec. 12.

Someone must have signed on for the music by now, yes?

That would be interesting--try to sync up Herrmann's music to the new film (which shouldn't exist, although I can't help but be intrigued by the thought of John Cleese as Dr. Barnhardt).

If not Herrmann, would have to be Phillip Glass, who's music sort of sounds like Herrmann's for this movie anyway. ;)

That would be interesting--try to sync up Herrmann's music to the new film (which shouldn't exist, although I can't help but be intrigued by the thought of John Cleese as Dr. Barnhardt).

No then we get some idiots in test screenings calling the music old fashioned and the theremin "cheesy" so they'd grab the first Zimmer stable boy available and re-score it, or bring in Brian Tyler with his bland music.

No then we get some idiots in test screenings calling the music old fashioned and the theremin "cheesy" so they'd grab the first Zimmer stable boy available and re-score it, or bring in Brian Tyler with his bland music.

Oh, I was speaking in terms of a post-release do-it-yourself kind of thing, not them actually doing it and then rejecting it.