Oscar nominations

Hitch

lets call them craftsman, they are not artists folks, you give them way too much credit.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is, the Oscars are about honoring the "craftsmen" who produce the best work in their fields of that year. This is already twisted by being all politically correct, why make it worse?

I think what Im suggesting will make it better. Im not saying do away with these awards, just put the fan favorites into the show and leave the ones that just make the show longer into the other award ceremony that isn't shown, and then take a few minutes to scroll through the winners just like the grammys do with the awards not presented in the telecast.

Its shortens the show, and makes it better for virtually everyone, and all the winners still win.

The movie itself is not being honored by getting a nomination like make-up. Williams' score to 1941 was fantasitc, and deserved to be honored (shame it wasn't). Had it been nominated, it would only have glorified 1941's score, NOT the entire film. If the score's good enough, give it a nomination or a win, end of story. Why should factors that have absolutley NOTHING to do with score quality bring the score down?

Why should all the extra artists be punished becasue the screenplay and directing is terrible? The Oscars are supposed to be about reocgnizing a certain artist for their good work, despite other qualities of the same film.

Perhaps. You make a good point.

Why thank you.

I think what Im suggesting will make it better. Im not saying do away with these awards, just put the fan favorites into the show and leave the ones that just make the show longer into the other award ceremony that isn't shown, and then take a few minutes to scroll through the winners just like the grammys do with the awards not presented in the telecast.

Its shortens the show, and makes it better for virtually everyone, and all the winners still win.

In that case, the Best Original Score would probably be one of categories that would be "scrolled through."

Why thank you.

In that case, the Best Original Score would probably be one of categories that would be "scrolled through."

it is in the grammies.

I would be ok with that, because it wouldn't dimish John's total wins now would it,

OSCAR NOMINEE MICHAEL GIACCHINO! YES!!!! <_<

Big congrats, Michael. Much deserved.

And Menken got three for song! That may hurt him, acutally. And I was kinda hoping "Le Festin" would get one.

And yay for Philip Seymour Hoffman! Too bad it will undoubtedly go to Javier.

Ozzel -- now going back to read the thread

Why thank you.

it is in the grammies.

I would be ok with that, because it wouldn't dimish John's total wins now would it,

Well, if that's how you feel. . . .

I'm somehow extremely pleased with the score nominations. I knew Marianelli and Iglesias would get it, but Giacchino, Beltrami, and JNH!!! Seems the Academy is actually realizing what good music is for a change. Glad JNH got a nomination, I loved Michael Clayton (probably the only one here) but would have preferred Charlie Wilson's War. Only reason he got it for Clayton was because it was nominated for Best Picture. And speaking of Michael Clayton, I'm happy it got the attention it deserved, I wasn't expecting Best Picture/Director/Actor/Supporting Actor/Supporting Actress/Score.

it didn't deserve all those, Clooney did, he's amazing, Cary Grant-esk, but the movie suffers from poor construction.

oops Kdog, Im being negative on a film again, all in all a weak year of movies

Where's Greenwood's "There will be blood"? I believed that one was a given, especially since the film is such a front-runner...

I've read it was deemed ineligible due to the use of pre existing music.

This year was actually excellent for movies. 2007 is the year where I have seen the most movies at the theater.

3:10 To Yuma, In The Valley Of Elah, Michael Clayton, I'm Not There, Sweeney Todd, There Will Be Blood, Into The Wild, No Country For Old Men, Gone Baby Gone, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, American Gangster, Juno, Eastern Promises, Charlie Wilson's War, The Darjeeling Limited, Shoot 'Em Up, The Savages, Atonement, Margot At The Wedding...

This is not a great year for movies? Those are just the Fall-Winter seasons! Summer was decent...

Knocked Up, Superbad, Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End, Ocean's Thirteen, The Bourne Ultimatum, Ratatouille.

Overall, I found 2007 to be quite satisfying and it quenched both the entertainment and artistic needs in film.

Yes, I did not figure out how to phrase that one correctly. My meaning was: Assuming you cared about nominations to begin with (which is implied, if you are unimpressed with the selection), than the fact that these selections are unimpressive to you merely shows that you either haven't seen too many of the nominees, or have a very eccentric view on film. The nominations represent a respectable bunch of the best work done in film in 2007.

Honestly, I haven't seen any single one of these films.

My money's on Marianelli. I saw Atonement last night and was quite impressed by the way it incorporated thematically significant sound effects into the score (i.e. the typewriter, obviously, but there were other instances as well). It worked really well in the context of the film and kept me diverted (along with the at times scrumptious photography) during time of quaintness. For a tragedy it was rather... slight. It's nice to see James Newton Howard get more recognition though perhaps not for the right film (wouldn't know not having seen that pompous Clooney guff).

Overall, I'm inclined to agree with countryman Drax - not many of the films that were nominated excite me very much (and unlike Drax I have seen quite a few these past 12 months). Nothing for Zodiac (or was that last year?). Alas.

CYPHER

anyone who thinks Michael Clayton is a great film needs to see a great film, cause M.C. isn't one.

anyone who thinks Michael Clayton is a great film needs to see a great film, cause M.C. isn't one.

I've seen great films, and Michael Clayton is one. Good doesn't give it enough credit, great maybe too much, but nonetheless it is a very good film and one of the best of 2007.

That makes sense. Seems the Academy let the rules slip in Gustavo Santaolalla's case with Babel. Iguazu was composed way back when he was just a guitarist, and it was used in the film and was on the soundtrack incorporated into much of the score. The music used in the final scene of the movie was excellent, but it wasn't even Gustavo. Ryuichi Sakamoto composed it, along with a lot of other music used in the film. Babel should not have been eligible for nomination.

Indeed. Unlike The Foreign film category, popularity is the bottom line when it comes to music branch's rules. Tons of critics loved the music in Babel, not knowing or caring that it was previously released.

"Iguazu" was also used in the Ross Kemp vehicle "A Line in the Sand" - made of British television in 2004.