Best Original Score

Koray Savas

Best Original Score  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite score nominated for the 80th Academy Awards.

• Atonement - Dario Marianelli
    • The Kite Runner - Alberto Iglesias
    • Michael Clayton - James Newton Howard
    • Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino
    • 3:10 To Yuma - Marco Beltrami

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't talking about the movie you orange blooded Dutchie. Anyhow I'm too settled down here on top of Alma and I've ruined her Edith Head frock.

What about The Cowboys? As good as The Magnificent Seven, IMO, and better than The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

indy4 - who only owns three western scores

WOW! :)

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is the king of Western scores. Nothing beats it, especially a very poor score such as The Cowboys.

What about The Cowboys? As good as The Magnificent Seven, IMO, and better than The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

indy4 - who only owns three western scores

WOW! :)

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is the king of Western scores. Nothing beats it, especially a very poor score such as The Cowboys.

Oh yeah...you love Morricone scores, I forgot.

But I stand by my comment. The only great ting from GBU is the Main Title track, The Ectasy of Gold, and a few others. The only great thing from The Cowboys is...every track. This means war! ;)

The Cowboys is a terrific score. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is a great score, an iconic score, and actually is attached to a great movie, which The Cowboys is far from being.

The Cowboys is not...i repeat not better then The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!

Indeed! Almost no western is. Come one Steef, join me!

Burga :P indy4

John Wayne :) Clint Eastwood

JK, I think Eastwood is better than Wayne.

A Fistful Of Follars

For A Few Dollars More :) All other Western scores.

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Any track from all 3 of those scores is better than all the tracks from The Cowboys or any other JW western.

The Man With No Name is the perfect trilogy, no other trilogy beats it. The Man With No Name is the perfect trilogy of scores, no other trilogy of scores beats it.

Yes. Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my favorite scores. That is the greatest western film of all-time. I prefer The Good, The Bad And The Ugly score more though.

indy4, you have a bias. Your love of JW has led you to believe that The Cowboys is a truly magnificent score. This is false. Yes, it is decent, pretty bad for JW standards IMO, but nothing compares like a true Morricone score.

I have said before that Ennio Morricone is better than John Williams...

Where's GoldmsithFanatic when I need him.

The Main Titles isn't even the best part of GBU. Death Of A Soldier, The Ecstasy Of Gold, and The Trio are some of the finest pieces of music ever composed!!

The Ecstasy Of Gold alone beats around 50% of John Williams work, don't even get me started on The Trio.

As distinguished as he is, Ennio Morricone is one of the most overated composers. A majority of his music comes across as cheesy fluff.

indy4, you have a bias. Your love of JW has led you to believe that The Cowboys is a truly magnificent score. This is false. Yes, it is decent, pretty bad for JW standards IMO, but nothing compares like a true Morricone score.

I can admit when a JW score is bad. WotW is, IMO, a bad score. And there are many others I consider to be bad. I also consider GBU to be better than WotW. But The Cowboys is so full of energy and excitement, so action packed and light-hearted, and so brilliant, saying it's bad is preposterous. I'm taking a great JW score and comparing it to an okay EM score (IMO, of course), and I am picking what I feel is the better one. I didn't expect you to think Cowboys was better than GBU, but to think Cowboys is a bad score...wow.

Ask me if I think GBU is better than WotW, I will most defenetly say yes. Same goes for The Patriot, though I do like that score a lot, I like GBU more. But The Cowboys is one of JW's most underrated scores (I know, we say that for every JW score), and it is brilliant.

No, you've said they were tied for first in your opinion...

And for the third time, I believe we have a disagreement, Koray. Let it begin! :)

It is...

apart from the Main Theme,there's nothing great about Good Bad and the Ugly.

Agreed. Though I do enjoy "Ectascy of Gold" as well.

No, you've said they were tied for first in your opinion...

Originally I said he was better. I got very upset once and had a post conveying my feelings on all the composers mainly discussed here on the forum. I think it was Mark that got to me with his continuing and unnecessary random posts about Hans Zimmer. I never looked back at that thread, I wonder what responses it got.

Then after that I said they were tied for #1.

And for the third time, I believe we have a disagreement, Koray. Let it begin! :)
It is...

apart from the Main Theme,there's nothing great about Good Bad and the Ugly.

Agreed. Though I do enjoy "Ectascy of Gold" as well.

Then you haven't listened to the whole score, and it is likely you have never seen the film.

As distinguished as he is, Ennio Morricone is one of the most overated composers. A majority of his music comes across as cheesy fluff.

If Morricone is one of the most overrated composers, I don't even know what to call John Williams. Cheesy fluff his music is not. Each and every score is true brilliance. Scores like My Name Is Nobody may come across as cheesy, but that doesn't detract from it's genius. His scores fit their respective films flawlessly. You are forgetting a lot of older movies are cheesy fluff.

Koray, we're never going to settle this. Maybe I need to see the film, maybe one of us is wrong, or maybe it's just a matter of opinion. I think we're gonna have to "agree to disagree."

I've said numerous times everything discussed here is all a matter of opinion. Logically we should all just agree to disagree. I just get worked up over something I care deeply about.

Let's move on to the next subject with enthusiasm! :)

I've said numerous times everything discussed here is all a matter of opinion. Logically we should all just agree to disagree. I just get worked up over something I care deeply about.

Let's move on to the next subject with enthusiasm! :)

I don't mind passion about a certain subject, that's fine. :P Alright! Sooooo...how about those Oscars?

Pretty bad this year. Looking over back at '07 made me wonder what '08 holds.

A good portion of the year will be dominated by RCP, and that led me to think what has a chance for nomination at next year's awards.

Indiana Jones holds a nomination likely, and I hope has a real chance for winning. I'm looking forward to Giacchino's Speed Racer, although I don't think that'll be Oscar material. JNH seems will have a great year with The Happening and Defiance, those two hold some Oscar potential.

Other than those, I can't think of what great scores there will be. Hans Zimmer has 6 scores this year, Powell already has like 4 under his belt. Harry's Narnia, Djawadi's Iron Man...This summer will be overruled by RCP.

But the chance of JW scoring something else later in the year is pretty slim, right?

Indiana Jones holds a nomination likely, and I hope has a real chance for winning.

Hopefully. All the Indy films have recieved score nominations, but then again, all the OT films had those too, and the prequels didn't get any. I'd love to see JW win, and hear that aunnoncer say:

"This is John Williams' 46th Nomination and his 6th win!"

I'm looking forward to Giacchino's Speed Racer, although I don't think that'll be Oscar material.

I'm looking forward to that, but more for Star Trek. Those movies have potentials for great scores.

JNH seems will have a great year with The Happening and Defiance, those two hold some Oscar potential.

Any Shymalan/Howard Collaboration is good news, at least in terms of score.

And there's also HBP. As a huge fan of Hooper's OotP, I'm very excited for that one.

I don't think Williams will receive a nomination for IJ unless the movie really performs well ($250 million or higher) and really composes something fresh and exciting.

I would look for his next nomination to come from the next drama Spielberg directs.

Why is that? Williams gets nominated just for being in the film's credits, regardless of the quality of the film and its commercial output.

See the nominations for The Patriot or Sabrina as examples.

TPM, AOTC and ROTS were not nominated, the academy has tightened the rules up on sequels. And I think the days of the summer blockbusters getting nominations are gone. Look at the best score categories the past few years, not too many summer blockbusters.

That's right. Not only is Indy 4 a sequel (strike one), Williams only gets nominated for his serious, dramatic scores nowadays (see Geisha and Munich over RotS and WotW). But it might happen if it's the only score he does this year.

I can pretty much guarantee a nomination for Lincoln. I can't wait to hear that.

As for Indy 4, I agree with what you've all said. But there has never been a year that JW has not been nominated if he has scored music. I think there has only been one or two occurrences.

Also, look at what is coming up this year. Does anything seem more Oscar-worthy than Indy 4? It's a pretty crappy year if you ask me, dominated by RCP. I've been looking through composers profiles on IMDb, trying to find if there is something that can/will be nominated. All the great composers have nothing on their list.

Also, look at what is coming up this year. Does anything seem more Oscar-worthy than Indy 4? It's a pretty crappy year if you ask me, dominated by RCP. I've been looking through composers profiles on IMDb, trying to find if there is something that can/will be nominated. All the great composers have nothing on their list.

But two years ago, would you have looked through Santola's (sp?) profile? In fact, would you have looked at it even last year?

But I defenetly think there's a chance it'll be nominated. Perhaps even a win!

And I just remembered something--once somebody said that the reason the prequels weren't nominated was because JW withdrew the promo he sent to the Academy for some reason. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I can pretty much guarantee a nomination for Lincoln. I can't wait to hear that.

As for Indy 4, I agree with what you've all said. But there has never been a year that JW has not been nominated if he has scored music. I think there has only been one or two occurrences.

What is this RCP thing you keep mentioning?

TPM, AOTC and ROTS were not nominated, the academy has tightened the rules up on sequels. And I think the days of the summer blockbusters getting nominations are gone. Look at the best score categories the past few years, not too many summer blockbusters.

The "it's John Williams, let's nominate it" factor overshadows the "it's a summer blockbuster" factor. Unless there's a better JW score that year.