Patrick Doyle's original score for Stepmom

Josh500

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But why do people want Doyle to use continuity when JW himself didn't?

BECAUSE JOHN WILLIAMS CAN DO WHATEVER THE HELL HE WANTS

3 hours ago, alextrombone94 said:

BECAUSE JOHN WILLIAMS CAN DO WHATEVER THE HELL HE WANTS

Seriously though, what most likely was the case is that Columbus didn't like Doyle's approach (either from a purely musical viewpoint, or during the spotting sessions), heard that he was lucky enough having Williams show at least some interest in helping 'save' the project OR actually asked Williams whether he'd be interested in writing a replacement score (since they collaborated before, on Home Alone). Whether Doyle was recovering from leukemia or not seems irrelevant - should Columbus have accepted Doyle's score, not pleased with it at all, simply for that reason? However, do we know anything about Doyle's financial status during his leukemia period?

Mrbellamy, if you're still interested, I'm listening to the Stepmom OST and the timecodes you gave were indeed what I meant about dissonance: for instance the first theme statement on oboe/English horn in The Days Between, it starts out well but then the chords go all weird. Typical of JW and I don't like it at all.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Mrbellamy, if you're still interested, I'm listening to the Stepmom OST and the timecodes you gave were indeed what I meant about dissonance: for instance the first theme statement on oboe/English horn in The Days Between, it starts out well but then the chords go all weird. Typical of JW and I don't like it at all.

Just what would music be without dissonance?

Nothing weird about that passage to my ears at all. A gorgeous piece of music.

Well, Williams seems primarily influenced by Bartok, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Strauss, Mahler, etc many early 20th century giants.  His uses of dissonance always seem appropriate and consistent with his overall style.

Don't forget Bartók, Hindemith, Copland, Hanson, Herrmann, Martinů, Honegger, Takemitsu, Webern, Walton, Lutoslawski and all of his jazz influences.

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

Don't forget Bartok

Can't believe I forgot Bartok!

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Well, Williams seems primarily influenced by Bartok...

;)

No. Such posts are far more constructive than the "sigh," "WTF," ".....", "what?" and "Indeed" you used to catapult your post count into stupid high numbers. 

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't have any interest in my postcount, even though it seems to hold a perpetual fascination for many of you.

So you'd be OK with LeBlanc rebooting your post count, right?

Stefan is 100% right.  Everybody else, especially BB, talks about his postcount far more than Stiff actually does.  Which is really never unless someone else brings it up.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Stefan is 100% right.  Everybody else, especially BB, talks about his postcount far more than Stiff actually does.  Which is really never unless someone else brings it up.

Thank you!

But could you please call me Steef or Stefan. Like you did the times we met face to face?

17 hours ago, Sharky said:

And Martinů, Honegger, Takemitsu, Webern, Walton, and Lutoslawski!

His jazz influences. Exactly. And Beethoven, Haydn, Bach, Mozart, ...

• 4 years later...
1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Has anyone listened to this yet? I'm in the first cue now, it's really nice, but maybe too upbeat.

The rejected Doyle score? No. It's never been released, AFAIK.

On 1/24/2008 at 12:06 AM, Morlock said:

It preaches that dying from cancer is okay if Julia Roberts is shacking up with your ex-husband and kids. I found the movie to be very offensive to the Susan Sarandon character. It's a Julia Robert vehicle, in the worst way.

Isn't this then more or less the same story as Doyle getting replced by Williams while recovering from cancer?

Well I'm 10 years too late to the party on Morlock's comments, and I'm 20 years out from seeing the movie, so granted things are a little fuzzy, but I don't recall the message of the movie to be "dying from cancer is okay" even with his further clarification.  The movie was more about making peace with the world she was leaving behind before she goes - which included accepting the stepmother who might not raise her kids the same way she would.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Just listened to the rejected score. It's okay, but not really top tier Doyle. Williams' score, which I listened right after finishing Doyle's, is better.

I didn’t know this one had leaked!