Lets talk Star Trek scores

Trent Hoyt

Favorite Star Trek Score  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which Star Trek score is your personal favorite?

• The Motion Picture by Jerry Goldsmith
    • The Wrath of Khan by James Horner
    • The Search for Spock by James Horner
    • The Voyage Home by Leonard Rosenman
    • The Final Frontier by Jerry Goldsmith
    • The Undiscovered Country by Cliff Eidelman
    • Generations by Dennis McCarthy
    • First Contact by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Insurrection by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Star Trek by Michael Giacchino

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in most every case the best stuff makes it on the cds

Most cases ya... but when you have scores like Star Trek The Motion Picture or Nemesis (even First Contact and Insurrection) all the best stuff is left off the CD.

Star Trek:TMP, on the other hand, transcends even that purpose and attains work-of art status. I happen to believe that if it weren't for the fact that it originated as a film score it would stand as a legitimate symphonic tone poem.

I've made a similar statement on several occasions.

Neil

I really underestimated peoples love for TMP.

I don't know why. It's the most discussed Trek score and makes almost every Goldsmith top 5 lists.

I think Jerry's main theme for First Contact is one of the most memorable music he has composed, at least to me. It should be put to the third place after ST:TMP and Wrath of Khan.

• 1 year later...

I voted for TMP, but really its a toss-up between it and TWOK, with FC and SFS being the next 2. I am sadly not familiar enough with the other 6 scores

The only thing I've heard from Nemesis is the 8 minutes suite on Silva's 40 Years of Film Music Jerry Goldsmith compilation. And I must say, judging by those 8 minutes alone, the score seems to be quite excelent. Is the rest of it really that inferior?

Where's Star Trek? :P

The poll is 16 months old. I'm sure Trentman could add it to the poll, because even I haven't voted yet. But he really shouldn't until May 5. Does nobody have any GD willpower?

The only thing I've heard from Nemesis is the 8 minutes suite on Silva's 40 Years of Film Music Jerry Goldsmith compilation. And I must say, judging by those 8 minutes alone, the score seems to be quite excelent. Is the rest of it really that inferior?

I think the end credits cue is by far the best part of the score. Never really warmed up to most of the rest. The LSO's live performance of the credits was quite something though, the Berlin quote was particularly touching there.

I still think the certain version of Nemesis' score makes it a lot better listening experience. There was a lot of good material left off the OST. It took that certain version for me to warm up to the score.

TMP

II

V

First Contact

Nemesis

III

Generations

VI

Insurrection

IV

John- wondering where Giacchino's will end up on the list

Yeah, I still like that list. And adding #11 in there won't be long now.

who will be the first Giacchino buddy here to declare this the best Star Trek score ever, EVER!

who will be the first Giacchino buddy here to declare this the best Star Trek score ever, EVER!

As a whole it really pales in comparison to the others.

so you've already illegally heard it?

Have you illegally downloaded the film too?

I am watching Nemesis now. This score is not the best, but it has many wonderful cues. The phaser fight on Shinzon's ship is awesome, especially when Data is hacking the control panel. It has moments of complexity and drama that I have not heard in the clips from the new one. Plus, the use of electronics and percussion is more unique - less cliche. Even when Jerry simplified his style in terms of contrapuntal layers and harmonies, he didn't simplify his basic approach in terms of tempi, keys, techniques, emotions, construction of phrases.

I don't think anyone will go that far. The question is which Giacchino hater will be the first to admit that it's good.

:)

I don't think so. I've only heard the samples and from what I've heard they pale in comparison to the other scores.

As far as the movie I'm going to wait to see it until it hits Blu-Ray so I can watch it in the comfort of my own room on my 42'' HDTV.

We should start jailing all those reviewers who hear things before they are released, or those people who are given complimentary copies before they are released. Damn criminals!

1. The Voyage Home - Leorence Rosenthalman pwnz

2. Generations - epix

3. Nemesis - bestest Jerry score

4. First Contact - Joel does his ark of truth thing

5. Insurrection - love the US Marshals theme

6. The Final Frontier - good god!

7. The Undiscovered Country - this is not Klingon music

8. The Search for Spock - more like more money

9. The Wrath of Khan - overrated Horner crap dat sounds leik titantic

10. Star Trek - id rather a cappachinno

11. The Motion Picture - how could Jerry have composed such a bloated piece of tosh?

• 1 year later...

I stand by my vote for TMP. In fact, recently Horner's two scores haven't been doing it. I think I may have over listened to WoK. Although with about as many listens I've never been bored of TMP.

For me, TWOK, no contest. The TMP main theme is a true classic, but the rest of the score still hasn't quite enthralled me as much as it should. And Giacchino's effort gets an honorable mention for being an interesting and different take on Trek scores, with a fantastic main theme and the best use of the Courage theme (not the fanfare) since the 60s. However, there are numerous Trek scores I don't know very well, so my opinion is limited in its educatedness.

Revised listing for me after the recent events:

Star Trek:TMP

Star Trek II

Star Trek III

Star Trek V

Star Trek

Star Trek VI

Star Trek IV

Star Trek First Contact

Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Nemesis

Star Trek Insurrection

Revision be thy name:

THE MOTION PICTURE

THE WRATH OF KHAN

THE FINAL FRONTIER

THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY

NEMESIS

INSURRECTION

FIRST CONTACT

GENERATIONS

THE VOYAGE HOME

Here would be my list..

The Motion Picture

The Wrath Of Khan

The Search For Spock

The Final Frontier

Star Trek (Giacchino)

Nemesis

First Contact

Insurrection

Generations

The Voyage Home

Star trek 1,

star 5

All got great themes,they`re superb on soundtrack every cue,like the style of each score,for me they work just as well on soundtrack as they do in film if not better

TMP and TWOK are a tie for me. TMP because of its great themes, however, it doesn't keep me through the entire score as it meanders through the V'Ger stuff. TWOK has themes almost as good as TMP, but it keeps me listening all the way to the end.

1. TWOK

1a. TMP

3. FC

4. Star Trek

5. TFF

6. TUC

7. TSFS

8. INS

9. GEN

10. NEM

11. TVH