The Bear McCreary Thread

Taikomochi

5 hours ago, Lhokne Mulb said:

Bear is the only actively working composer with a voice truly his own. Everyone else is aping someone else to some huge extent. 

Bear and his team of ghostwriters and orchestrators which help him with his 6 or 7 TV shows a year and the occasional movie are the only ones with a truly original voice!

Listened to the video above. Some interesting colours, especially for a film of this nature. Not a fan of that opening ostinato-driven idea though.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Bear and his team of ghostwriters and orchestrators which help him with his 6 or 7 TV shows a year and the occasional movie are the only ones with a truly original voice!

Just because you have accomplished nothing in your life doesn't mean others aren't capable! 

1 hour ago, KK. said:

Listened to the video above. Some interesting colours, especially for a film of this nature. Not a fan of that opening ostinato-driven idea though.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I have to say, reading the blog before hearing anything from the score got my hopes up maybe a little too much.  Also, at 3:22, is that a guy throwing a trash can at a swinging hook?

7 hours ago, Lhokne Mulb said:

Bear is the only actively working composer with a voice truly his own. Everyone else is aping someone else to some huge extent. 

Idiot!

There is much to admire in this score.  First of all, it demonstrates a unique voice.  This is clearly Bear.  Second, it demonstrates dramatic skill and talent that is rare.  Third, it shows a reverence to the past.  There is so much in this score that is informed by Herrmann, Goldsmith, and others without being derivative.  Very well done!

When John Williams was 37, he had yet to write Jaws.  Heck, he had yet to write Jane Eyre, Cowboys, Images, The Eiger Sanction or the Irwin Allen disaster movies.  The Reivers would have been his most notable score to date, beyond his TV work.

When Michael Giacchino was 37, he had yet to write a major film score or start working on LOST.  All he had behind him was ALIAS, obscure indie movies, and a slew of video games.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

When John Williams was 37, he had yet to write Jaws.  Heck, he had yet to write Jane Eyre, Cowboys, Images, The Eiger Sanction or the Irwin Allen disaster movies.  The Reivers would have been his most notable score to date, beyond his TV work.

When Michael Giacchino was 37, he had yet to write a major film score or start working on LOST.  All he had behind him was ALIAS, obscure indie movies, and a slew of video games.

Giacchino had already written his first masterpiece at 32. He was 37 in 2004, in which he wrote The Incredibles, which I would consider a major film score, and had started LOST.

Goldsmith wrote 'The Blue Max' and 'The Sand Pebbles' when he was 37. 'Planet of the Apes' with 38. And even before that he wrote tons of stuff that i think would make both McCreary and Giacchino blush. 

Masterpiece, my ass.

26 minutes ago, Michael said:

Who cares about age? He could write his masterpiece when he's 90 or when he was 12 and for me it wouldn't matter. People are different, get over it.

Well if he writes his first masterpiece at 90, he might not have 37 years to write another. 

1 hour ago, Woj said:

Well if he writes his first masterpiece at 90, he might not have 37 years to write another. 

One is more than most people can do.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bear at E3 playing the new theme for the upcoming God of War game. Don't know anything about the series or how this compares to previous soundtracks but I like what I hear. Must of had the chanting choir on retainer from Damien.

• 2 weeks later...

10 Cloverfield Lane was for sure his best film score so far!

This 'God of War' overture I posted earlier is growing on me. I must be on around 10 plays already. Bear talks about the project in his latest blog post http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/blog/video-games/god-of-war-at-e3/ and explains that after the overture he conducted the live orchestra to accompany the guy playing the demo live for the crowd. How cool is that? As seen here.

• 1 month later...

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/08/09/bear-mccreary-scoring-nacho-vigolandos-colossal/

Really happy that Bear is moving heavily into Film now. He seems to have stripped back his tv shows to around 5 at once, which is basically nothing for Bear, and he's doing bigger films. Those few Horror films and 10 Cloverfield Lane were a good small start, but now he's taking on more and bigger sci-fi's.