Taikomochi

THE PROFESSOR AND THE MADMAN
Autograph Exclusive
SNS4029
Music by Bear McCreary 
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $14.98

STARTS SHIPPING MAY 14

ProfessorAndTheMadman_Web.jpgLa-La Land Records has been allotted 240 autographed units of this title. Once they are sold out, they are gone for good. They are available to order from www.lalalandrecords.com starting May 14, 12pm (PST).

The regular, unsigned CD and Digital download version of this title can be purchased at Amazon:

Sparks & Shadows proudly announces the CD release of Bear McCreary’s original motion picture score to the feature film THE PROFESSOR AND THE MANDMAN, starring Mel Gibson and Sean Penn. Emmy® award-winning composer Bear McCreary (HAPPY DEATH DAY 2U, 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE, THE WALKING DEAD) fashions a sumptuous, orchestral score that brings beautiful music to the language of words, all the while supporting the film’s drama, romance and historic importance.

TRACK LISTING:
1 The Professor and the Madman
2 The Murder of George Merrett
3 The Murray Family
4 Broadmoor Asylum
5 Aardvark to Zymurgy
6 Eliza Merrett
7 Finding the Pamphlet
8 Snowball Fight
9 Minor Begins
10 A Collaboration and Friendship
11 Minor Meets Murray
12 Wider Than the Sky
13 Diploma
14 Autopeotomy
15 When I Am Dead (Film Version)
16 One Last Measure
17 Turndown
18 When I Am Dead
Running time: 75 Minutes

and

Check out another awesome Bear McCreary autographed exclusive CD, THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX – on sale now, for only $10 EACH! Sale price starts 5/14/19 at 12 noon (pst) 

GOING OUT PRINT! 

Get McCreary’s fantastic CAPRICA THE SERIES (2-CD SET) at a special price of only $15 EACH – less than 100 units of this title remain before it’s out of print.

Also – McCreary’s TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES is only $5 EACH and less than 60 units remain before it’s out of print.

Sale prices start 5/14/19 at 12 noon (pst) and are good while supplies last.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Discovered by accident last night that the Outlander season 4 soundtrack is out next Friday and is up for pre-order on Amazon.

Which means that once again I'll buy it and have it lying around shrinkwrapped until the season finally hits Netflix in two years or so...

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copy of Outlander today and am giving it a first full listen. This is possibly the best volume of Outlander music he's put out since the very first, and it flows very well.

And his new theme for Roger and Brianna is bew-tiful. (even if it does unfortunately resemble a theme from Djawadi's Medal of Honor - hopefully that'll wear off)

• 3 months later...

Is his music for this show any good? I really don't care about these Marvel series (I only watched a few of the Netflix ones), but his music for SHIELD seems to be top notch. I wish he at least released the OST albums.

Also: for a guy named "Bear", he seems to be quite shorty, heh? Lol

Man I dunno, I love a lot of Bear scores but was never compelled to check these ones out or watch the show 

• 3 weeks later...

This is a long shot, but in 2015, when "Outlander Season 1: The Ultimate Collection" was released, there were apparently three exclusive tracks in there somewhere. Does anyone know anything about them?

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2019 at 4:20 PM, dylanskie said:

This is a long shot, but in 2015, when "Outlander Season 1: The Ultimate Collection" was released, there were apparently three exclusive tracks in there somewhere. Does anyone know anything about them?

I had no idea about this - the Amazon listing says this:

The Season One Soundtrack with three exclusive tracks

Boom: https://storywonk.com/unboxing-the-outlander-ultimate-collection/ and https://outlander-watch.livejournal.com/200132.html

The extra tracks are in volume 2. Based on the names, track 6 is probably score with the other 2 being traditional?

06. Mr. and Mrs. Randall

12. The Wee Wee Man

14. Blow, Blow Thou Winter Wind

2015-12-10-11.16.46-1024x768.jpg

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I had no idea about this - the Amazon listing says this:

Boom: https://storywonk.com/unboxing-the-outlander-ultimate-collection/ and https://outlander-watch.livejournal.com/200132.html

The extra tracks are in volume 2. Based on the names, track 6 is probably score with the other 2 being traditional?

06. Mr. and Mrs. Randall

12. The Wee Wee Man

14. Blow, Blow Thou Winter Wind

2015-12-10-11.16.46-1024x768.jpg

Thanks for finding that! I had already found the track names and that tracklist a little bit after I posted that. If I want those three tracks, though, it looks like I'll have to buy the Ultimate Collection used or for cheap somewhere. There's absolutely no sign of them anywhere online! They're definitely exclusive.

Yeah, you're right about track 6 being score. If you're familiar with the Outlander score, it's probably filled with Frank's theme and from the premiere episode. McCreary's arrangement of "Blow, Blow Thou Winter Wind" plays in episode 106 I believe on harpsichord. I'm not sure when "The Wee Wee Man" plays.

His score for the show is incredible, especially for season 4. In my opinion, his work on season 4 is some of his best. The OST doesn't do it complete justice; there was so much that was left out.

3 hours ago, dylanskie said:

Yeah, you're right about track 6 being score. If you're familiar with the Outlander score, it's probably filled with Frank's theme and from the premiere episode.

Damn. Now I feel I need to hunt this down. Frank's theme has been virtually absent from the score releases. On the Vol. 1 release it only appeared in the big finale cue.

Personally I wish each season of this show got a packed 2 CD set with 160 minutes of music, because I agree that a lot of great cues get omitted. Personally I can do without most of the source music cues and I'd rather get more score instead. (Except for most of the French harpsichord stuff...that worked fine in-show but I can do without it on album, lol...)

Yavar

5 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Damn. Now I feel I need to hunt this down. Frank's theme has been virtually absent from the score releases. On the Vol. 1 release it only appeared in the big finale cue.

Personally I wish each season of this show got a packed 2 CD set with 160 minutes of music, because I agree that a lot of great cues get omitted. Personally I can do without most of the source music cues and I'd rather get more score instead. (Except for most of the French harpsichord stuff...that worked fine in-show but I can do without it on album, lol...)

Yavar

Good luck hunting it down! I think it would’ve made sense to have Mr. and Mrs. Randall on the volume 1 OST when it was originally released, if it does in fact have Frank’s theme, because it was noticeably left out on the OST. However, “Leave the Past Behind” and “A Car Accident” make up for it.

I was half-hoping that the seasons would get deluxe releases like Da Vinci’s Demons, but unfortunately, there hasn’t been anything of the sort. It was interesting how season 3 was filled with mostly music that was tracked in from the previous two seasons; we all know that Bear was stretched pretty thin, so maybe his other work just got ahead of him. And I believe he gave some of his assistant composers more to do for season 4 than in the previous seasons, judging by the specific album track credits. Like I said before, I think season 4 was some of his strongest work yet, so I’m glad he wrote a ton of new material for each episode. While Roger and Brianna’s theme is in practically every scene they have together, I don’t mind because it’s very good.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/26/2016 at 6:06 PM, leeallen01 said:

I've not heard his latest horror scores, but am looking forward to 'Animal Cracker,' which is apparently an animated film he's doing for next year. It'll be welcomed to finally hear him tackle a much lighter and more colourful subject matter, instead of the mostly dark stuff he scores for.

On 1/14/2017 at 8:23 AM, serenifly said:

Bear has 3 films appearing at Sundance this year. Colossal, Rebel in the Rye and the documentary Unrest. Unrest is the only one of these 'in competition'. Also on the horizon for this year are Animal Crackers and Revolt. Really exciting to see him finally diving into film scores in a big way. 10 Cloverfield Lane was one of my favourite scores from last year so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can come up with in these projects.

On 2/16/2017 at 3:54 PM, Jay said:

Huh, neat.  I never heard of that film, but it turns out he was announced last year

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/07/08/bear-mccreary-to-score-animal-crackers/

On 2/16/2017 at 4:30 PM, Disco Stu said:

Ooooh, new and different style for McCreary (at least from what I've heard of his music).

Animals Crackers (the film) is finally releasing in the US on July 24th via Netflix.

No word yet on a score album, but iI have to imagine it will happen, at least digitally (Netflix is pretty good about that)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got my KOTM - only 13 bucks plus free shipping!

I confess to having little regard for Bear up till now.

He was just one of a bunch of tv composers ( Russo et.al) churn8ng out product.

But, first with his music for PKD ELEC TRIC DREAMS and now this, I'm taking notice!

I've got my ' ear' out for you Bear.

Ha. Ha. Get it?😊

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, pete said:

That links to an article about game design for Qanon...

On 11/11/2020 at 8:18 AM, Spider-Fal said:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157402783117096&id=39808337095

Bear McCreary working on Tales from the Galaxy's Edge!

Sounds like an alien invasion game kinda score.

I saw FREAKY yesterday - Christopher Landon's new 'slasher' take on the basic premise of FREAKY FRIDAY. Enjoyable. McCreary's score was pretty good - at least the more romantic parts. Not too keen on the stingers (I never have been) and the LOUDNESS of it at times. Maybe that's more the mix's fault than the music's, however.

Only me and two other journalists in the whole theatre, however, so I'm worried about the fate of this film. Especially because Norwegian theatres closed down just two days ago.

The Freaky OST album is out now in any country where it's already Friday

500x500bb.webp

01. Freaky Prologue (2:56)
02. The Killing Starts (3:39)
03. Morning Millie (2:20)
04. The Butcher and the Beaver (5:55)
05. New Day New Bodies (5:28)
06. Ice Cold (3:15)
07. Kitchen Combat (2:06)
08. La Dola Revelations (4:27)
09. Shop Class (2:22)
10. Char Car Chase (2:27)
11. Easy To Talk To (4:01)
12. Blacklight Maze (2:31)
13. A Poetry Reading (1:47)
14. The Plan (1:56)
15. Backseat Butterflies (1:49)
16. Knife Heist (5:02)
17. Homecoming at the Old Mill (6:22)
18. The Best Pain (1:46)
19. A Fucking Piece (3:53)
20. Freaky Credits (4:41)

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/freaky-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1538239990

https://music.apple.com/au/album/freaky-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1538239990

13 hours ago, pete said:

Oh sorry.. I was reading both at around the same time:

That other article is a fascinating read though. Thanks for accidentally posting it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked out the samples for Bear's latest score, Freaky, and thought it sounded pretty good.  Will pick it up at some point

https://lalalandrecords.com/freaky-limited-edition/

FREAKY: LIMITED EDITION
LLLCD 1555
Music by Bear McCreary
Limited Edition of 1000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $15.98

La-La Land Records, Universal Pictures, Blumhouse Productions, Back Lot Music and Sparks & Shadows presents a limited edition CD release of acclaimed composer Bear McCreary’s (GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS, HAPPY DEATH DAY, THE WALKING DEAD, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA) original motion picture score to the all-new feature film hit FREAKY, starring Vince Vaughn and Kathryn Newton, and directed by Christopher Landon. Composer McCreary unleashes a wildly entertaining orchestral thrill ride -- the perfect match for this audacious horror-comedy-thriller in which a brutal serial killer (Vaughn) swaps bodies with a high school cheerleader (Newton)! Produced by Joe Augustine and Bear McCreary, and mastered by David Donnelly, this special CD release is limited to only 1000 units. Dan Goldwasser provides the sharp art design.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Freaky Prologue 2:56
2. The Killing Starts 3:39
3. Morning Millie 2:19
4. The Butcher and the Beaver 5:55
5. New Day New Bodies 5:27
6. Ice Cold 3:15
7. Kitchen Combat 2:05
8. La Dola Revelations 4:26
9. Shop Class 2:22
10. Char Car Chase 2:26
11. Easy to Talk To 4:00
12. Blacklight Maze 2:30
13. A Poetry Reading 1:47
14. The Plan 1:56
15. Backseat Butterflies 1:49
16. Knife Heist 5:02
17. Homecoming at the Old Mill 6:22
18. The Best Pain 1:46
19. A Fucking Piece 3:53
20. Freaky Credits 4:41
TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 1:09:07

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I just checked out the samples for Bear's latest score, Freaky, and thought it sounded pretty good.  Will pick it up at some point

https://lalalandrecords.com/freaky-limited-edition/

FREAKY: LIMITED EDITION
LLLCD 1555
Music by Bear McCreary
Limited Edition of 1000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $15.98

La-La Land Records, Universal Pictures, Blumhouse Productions, Back Lot Music and Sparks & Shadows presents a limited edition CD release of acclaimed composer Bear McCreary’s (GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS, HAPPY DEATH DAY, THE WALKING DEAD, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA) original motion picture score to the all-new feature film hit FREAKY, starring Vince Vaughn and Kathryn Newton, and directed by Christopher Landon. Composer McCreary unleashes a wildly entertaining orchestral thrill ride -- the perfect match for this audacious horror-comedy-thriller in which a brutal serial killer (Vaughn) swaps bodies with a high school cheerleader (Newton)! Produced by Joe Augustine and Bear McCreary, and mastered by David Donnelly, this special CD release is limited to only 1000 units. Dan Goldwasser provides the sharp art design.

TRACK LISTING:
1. Freaky Prologue 2:56
2. The Killing Starts 3:39
3. Morning Millie 2:19
4. The Butcher and the Beaver 5:55
5. New Day New Bodies 5:27
6. Ice Cold 3:15
7. Kitchen Combat 2:05
8. La Dola Revelations 4:26
9. Shop Class 2:22
10. Char Car Chase 2:26
11. Easy to Talk To 4:00
12. Blacklight Maze 2:30
13. A Poetry Reading 1:47
14. The Plan 1:56
15. Backseat Butterflies 1:49
16. Knife Heist 5:02
17. Homecoming at the Old Mill 6:22
18. The Best Pain 1:46
19. A Fucking Piece 3:53
20. Freaky Credits 4:41
TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 1:09:07

I'm considering it as well. He's been really picking up for me lately. I was surprised by how much I loved his Cloverfield scores and also loved the King of the Monsters score. Even his Happy Death Day scores are pretty fun. This sounds fun too.

@Jay I just saw the film and the score is fine!

I said in the LLL thread I didn't have interest in any of the releases, but having seen this film now (and the limited nature of this release) I might pick this up!

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

THATS HOW YOU PUT A SOUNDTRACK TOGETHER!

20 cues, no shorties 😊

I don't think there's that much music in the film, so this makes sense.

Another week, another Bear score is out (digitally)

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/ava-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1542175323

https://music.apple.com/au/album/ava-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1542175323

etc

1000x1000bb.webp

01 Ava 4:11
02 Talking to the Target 5:18
03 Family and a Package 2:13
04 The Riyadh Job 4:47
05 Ava and Duke 2:39
06 Simon Calls the Shots 4:01
07 Fatherly Lies 2:34
08 Paying Toni a Visit 4:12
09 Michael Learns the Truth 2:46
10 Duke and Simon 1:14
11 Motherly Pride 2:19
12 Tail Spin 4:24
13 The Mini Bar 3:06
14 Following Simon 3:14
15 Who Ava Is 5:12

TOTAL TIME - 52:00

Rim of the World, Professor and the Madman, God of War.

Honourable mentions: Animal Crackers, Godzilla and Happy Death Day

I don't really enjoy horror scores as much so there's a number I've not checked out but probably should!

Rim of the World seem to take him to some new places than his usual fair.  God of War is exciting.  I haven't heard the Professor one!

All of his OUTLANDER music is good, but he hasn't been able to top that first album from the first season. So tight, getting all the ideas across without overstaying their welcome. Alas, that is not the case for all the subsequent albums. I guess of the titles in that photo above, my vote would go to THE PROFESSOR AND THE MADMAN.

An acquaintance of mine directed the CHILD'S PLAY remake, so I guess I'm kinda obliged to mention that, but I can't remember much of the music, to be honest.

Wow, 3 votes now for Professor and the Madman!  I can't believe I never checked it out!  I'm glad I asked!