The Bear McCreary Thread

Taikomochi

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Fans of Bear:

What do you think are the three best Bear McCreary albums of the past 3 years?

I used to follow McCreary quite actively, but I've heard two of those. He's just doing so much, and so much of it is a lot of perfectly functional music with a couple of highlights, that I've stopped to blindly get much of it just to keep up.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

All of his OUTLANDER music is good, but he hasn't been able to top that first album from the first season. So tight, getting all the ideas across without overstaying their welcome. Alas, that is not the case for all the subsequent albums.

Of the first 3 seasons, S2 is the one that best works for me as an album. Both S1s are nice, but meander somewhat (I feel the same way, just even more, about Horner's Braveheart). S2 has the most enjoyable balance for me (or so I recall, it's been a while since I listened to them).

• 7 months later...
6 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Anyone checked out Bear’s score to the new He-Man show yet?

Its fun. Reminds me of his work on Human Target :)

Its on Spotify and YouTube etc.

No, not yet, but I will. I was disappointed to read on Facebook, however, that he would not be using any of the original themes.

The new He-Man show seems to be pure shite. Of course, it's a Kevin Smith show, so it's probably crap anyway. 

But I'll check Bear's score eventually, I hope it's good. 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

No, not yet, but I will. I was disappointed to read on Facebook, however, that he would not be using any of the original themes.

Well, truth be told, I think Orko's theme is the only keeper from the original series. I tried listening to La La Land's release and honestly, nostalgia aside, I think pretty much just the main theme and Orko's theme are listenable

I plan on watching this new series tonight.
I confess that I didn’t grow up watching the original show in the 80s. But I did I joy the “reboot” they did in the early 2000s. But I don’t have a super deep affinity for the show. 

From what I gather, some fans are ticked by how some characters are being approached in this new version. (Flashes of “Last Jedi outrage” occurring;) But since I don’t have a real deep connection to the original show, I interested to see what all the fuss is about.

1 minute ago, WampaRat said:

I plan on watching this new series tonight.
I confess that I didn’t grow up watching the original show in the 80s.

I did. I owned many of the action figures (as well as Castle Greyskull), so I'll watch it with a strong sense of nostalgia embedded.

I agree with you it is odd as this is supposedly a sequel to the original show that Bear wouldn’t find a way to quote the original theme at some point. I’m only half way through my first listen of the score now. Perhaps he still might sneak it in. Or it could pop up in the second half of the show…

I like his Cloverfield scores and GKOTM has grown on me to become one of my favorite Godzilla scores but I’ve been lukewarm on the rest of his works.

I enjoyed the show and really thought the score was fun. I’ll need to check out this blog post now.

EDIT: Just read it. I dig that he was going for Conan the Barbarian by way of Heavy Metal ‘81. That definitely came across. Also, for those lamenting the lack of original themes from the show, apparently there were “contractual roadblocks” that prohibited its use in this series. I love the breakdown of all the themes he gives in this post. This guy is so passionate and excited by what he does for a living. I love it!

• 2 months later...

I feel like season 2 of See was an upgrade in terms of the score. There were more orchestral moments that really let the audience run with the score. I especially enjoyed the new main theme.

But I'm a little disappointed that the album for this season is less than 39 minutes! I wish he had included the cues for Maghra's speech and Kane and Kofun's horseback ride (and their later "ride" of another kind). And I really liked the end credits of each episode - Bear did a wonderful job with them, as usual. Though I think the credits for the finale were tracked from earlier in the episode? I'll rewatch the season soon and see if I can extract anything worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

There's another Bear McCreary OST album coming out next Friday

6yuiKTD.jpeg

1. Vanguard (3:42)
  2. Operation Tonga (3:00)
  3. Into the Lion’s Den (6:17)
  4. The Whole World Is Burning (2:46)
  5. The Gun Battery (3:26)
  6. Before the Storm (2:10)
  7. Polina’s Vengeance (5:34)
  8. A Hunt in Stalingrad (4:39)
  9. Freisinger and Richter (2:17)
  10. Bombing Run (4:53)
  11. Wade into the Weeds (2:13)
  12. Welcome to Bougainville (4:12)
  13. Pacific Heat (2:43)
  14. The Rats of Tobruk (3:11)
  15. Shrapnel (3:18)
  16. The Sixth Operator (2:23)
  17. Showdown (2:10)
  18. Rigs and the Hunters (3:59)
  19. Light of El-Alamein (3:17)
  20. Project Phoenix (4:26)
  21. Valor and Ash (3:15)
  22. Arthur’s Elegy (2:15)
  23. Bloodlust (2:27)

TOTAL - 1:18:45

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/call-of-duty-vanguard-composer-bear-mccreary-discusses-raw-and-exposed-soundtrack-3021544
https://se7en.ws/call-of-duty-vanguard-bear-mccreary-the-composer-of-god-of-war-takes-care-of-the-music/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

In case you wanted more Bear this year.... he's back yet again... If this approaches even close to the fun that Masters had this year I'm in!

Of course this gonna be totally different than the MOTU:R score but that one brought me so far back into a Mccreary fan it's not even funny I haven't had that much fun since Human Target! 

Let's take a listen and see what's he's got up his sleeve this time! 

• 1 month later...

"Inspiration at War" is not only my single favorite McCreary cue it's one of my favorite film music cues from the last 10 years, period.  It's definitely the McCreary score I feel the most emotional connection to.

• 3 weeks later...

‘Outlander’ Season 6 Soundtrack Album Details

Sony Classical will release a new soundtrack album for the Starz original series Outlander. The album features selections of the original music from the show’s sixth season composed by Emmy Award winner Bear McCreary (Godzilla: King of the Monsters, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Walking Dead, Child’s Play, Battlestar Galactica, Foundation, Happy Death Day). The soundtrack will be released digitally this Friday, March 4. A CD version is set to come out next month. Check out the music video for a new Gaelic Version of The Skye Boat Song created for the album and featuring vocals by Griogair Labhruidh below. Madison Gate Records has previously released the soundtracks for the first five seasons of the series. Outlander is created by Ronald D. Moore based on Diana Gabaldon’s best-selling books and stars Caitrona Balfe and Sam Heughan. The drama’s sixth season will premiere this coming Sunday, March 6 on Starz and a seventh season has already been ordered.

Here’s the album track list:

1. Outlander – The Skye Boat Song (Duet Version) (feat. Raya Yarbrough and Griogair Labhruidh)
2. New Dawn at Fraser’s Ridge
3. Lizzie’s Love Story
4. We Haunt Ourselves
5. Outlander – The Skye Boat Song (Gaelic Extended Version) (feat. Griogair Labhruidh)
6. I Must Have Ye
7. Revolution Approaching
8. Ian’s Love Story (feat. Jaraneh Nova)
9. Malva Christie
10. Henri-Christian
11. Fergus and Marsali
12. The Ballad of Tom Christie
13. Bree and Roger’s Journey
14. Exonerated
15. The Committee of Safety
16. Come What May
17. I Am Not Alone
18. Outlander – The Skye Boat Song (Gaelic Version) (feat. Griogair Labhruidh)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/03/02/outlander-season-6-soundtrack-album-details/

It's already up in countries where it's already Friday

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/outlander-season-6-original-television-soundtrack/1611062090

Wait for the whole season to be out then do a trial week or month, whatever they offer and binge it

On 3/3/2022 at 3:41 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Symphonic suite recorded during the premiere of the first episode of Season 6 of Outlander.

Soundtrack album coming this friday!!

Can't believe they played the whole score for the episode live—I can only think of a few shows that have had a live orchestra accompanying an episode viewing. I hope it'll be uploaded at some point, but I kind of doubt that it was recorded, which is a shame.

I saw the premiere virtually, and there were a few really powerful moments in the premiere's score—one that really stood out was a dark and foreboding cue announcing the arrival of an antagonist, and it reminded me of Bear's work on Da Vinci's Demons, which I think of as some of his best work. I think that cue is in The Committee of Safety. I can't imagine what it was like to hear it live!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We saw a 1-minute commercial for this movie on Paramount+ twice that had absolutely zero sound except for the announcer.  Kind of like that Mummy trailer that came out a few years back that just had the sound effects.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Another week, another new Bear McCreary OST album

1400x1400bb.webp

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/paws-of-fury-the-legend-of-hank-original/1631427953

YESSSSSS. Fantastic score!! I've been listening to it all morning. The main theme is stuck in my head, it's soo catchy.

For me the score is a great mix between McCreary's own style, Lalo Schifren, Bill Conti & Zimmer & Powell's Kung Fu Panda scores.

The use of funk together with the orchestra and Chinese instruments is absolutely amazing!

And the 2 songs at the beginning of the album are also both a hoot. Especially Blazing Samurai which is build on the main theme of the film.

2 animated scores from McCreary, Animal Crackers and this. Both couldn't be more different, but this is definitely my favourite. I love it

12 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Great!! I love McCreary. And I now he will respect what Shore did before.

He’s the kind of composer who knows what fans will expect and has enough history to hopefully not get clobbered by the producers (let’s face it, the whole arrangement isn’t a million miles from Obi-Wan but BM has much greater cache and experience than Holt so I expect it’ll be a lot closer to what we all hope for rather than a muddled disappointment). 

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

This show isn’t even the same canon as the LOTR and Hobbit films though, right? I’m confused by this. Why are they hiring Shore and having McCreary mention honoring Shore’s legacy, if this is a whole different take on Middle Earth?