The Bear McCreary Thread

Taikomochi

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I listened to the first track of this on my ride into work this morning.  It sounded straight out of Rings of Power, like really no different from the Sauron/Dwarf material in that score.

But maybe on subsequent listens they will differentiate more for me

Trying to avoid listening to it for that exact reason.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been searching through internet and have found only few tracks from "The Walking Dead" without sound effects.

Can someone direct me in location where I can find complete or expanded release (or leak) of TWD's score, at least for 1st season (I'm well aware of Official OST, but 23 tracks for 7 seasons is not my format)

As far as I know, the 30 second or so sample tracks going around (which originate from Bear's blog) is the only extra material there is on top of the OST.

Honestly, that OST should have been just for the first few seasons - trying to use it to represent seven seasons is a complete joke. My most educated guess would be that AMC was very restrictive about what he could release for the album (like one disc only) and that releasing anything beyond samples for the rest would be forbidden.

It is funny that out of all the many many shows Bear has scored, the one that by far has had the most viewers has the least music available 

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed he had an incredible year. I thought he wouldn't be able to top 2019. But his Rings Of Power work is such an accomploshed it baffles me everytime.

Paws of Fury is one of the most fun scores of the year, a true syrpirse when it came out and a very strong contender for best animated score.

Then his other tv work on Outlander (outstanding as always), Serpent Queen & The Witcher are all great and different from each other.

Then his God Of War score is indeed a masterpiece and even better than the first. And his new thematic material is terrific.

If you count all his themes from all his projects this year, it's insane how many different melodies he was able to come up with.

Composer Of The Year for me is between McCreary & Giacchino who both had outstanding years

Giacchino was up and down for me this year - I love The Batman and Werewolf By Night, haven't really been able to get too much into Lightyear or Thor 4 (or his 1 Zootopia track)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Giacchino was up and down for me this year - I love The Batman and Werewolf By Night, haven't really been able to get too much into Lightyear or Thor 4 (or his 1 Zootopia track)

What about JW: Dominion?

Oh damn I forgot that score even came out this year!

It's ok - I guess I'd have to say it's forgettable since I couldn't even describe anything from it right now apart from that one malta chase cue that came out before the OST album that's pretty cool

• 1 month later...

I have still to watch season 6 as I'd have to sign up to Prime's 'Starz' subscription. Season 5 hardly ended in a 'what happens next?!' way.

My hopes of this thread being bumped with news of a RoP episode box are diminishing. I'm beginning to think they haven't gone down that road and I'll actually have to buy the lot digitally :| 

• 3 weeks later...

LOVE Sinead O’Connor.  She’s been working through some things and back when I was on social media, I had to unfollow her because it was too much of a bummer, but any release of hers is a must-buy for me.

I still technically exist on them because I manage the school PTO’s socials, but I never log into my personal accounts.  I quit Insta a year or two ago.  I quit Twitter when Musk bought it.  I want to say I quit Facebook last spring, except when my spouse asks me to do something on it like post Girl Scout cookies links (which happened a few weeks ago, at which point I clicked the like on all the November birthday wishes, oops).

I am on a private Mastodon server and a private Discord server with IRL friends and will hop onto various other topical public discords (like the one run by some people here) just to make bad jokes, which is pretty much all I do anywhere publicly now including here.  I don’t particularly want to spend the brainpower thinking about that stuff.

Here are some good recent-ish Sinead O’Connor tracks - two downers and an upper.  Looks like I’ll be buying my first Outlander album whenever they release this one.

20 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Another new score by McCreary.

A film by the same director as Happy Death Day & Freaky

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/we-have-a-ghost-soundtrack-from-the-netflix-film/1668891134

1895320426_WeHaveAGhost.jpg

Blimey. I’m starting to think that if you counted up the number of hours in the day and a plausible number of minutes per day a composer can write (without sleeping!) then Bear McCreary must surely be working about 194% of the time…*

*entirely fictitious figure made up for effect. No implication that Bear McCreary can time travel is meant or otherwise implied. Probably. 

I don't have any Bear McCreary CDs and only one digital album (RoP FYC).

Is 10 Cloverfield Lane worth picking up? I'm see a reasonably priced copy available at one of my usual online retailers.

The fact that it has blaster beam in it has me intrigued.

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I don't have any Bear McCreary CDs and only one digital album (RoP FYC).

Is 10 Cloverfield Lane worth picking up? I'm see a reasonably priced copy available at one of my usual online retailers.

The fact that it has blaster beam in it has me intrigued.

I gave this a listen a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, although if you’re expecting the blaster been to be like all the V’Ger material in Star Trek: TMP, you might be a little bit disappointed, the uses are a little bit more subtle most of the time, but it is very effective. 

11 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Absolutely. I also enjoy quite a few moments from Cloverfield Paradox, though I only revisit certain tracks from it often. I could definitely throw on 10 Cloverfield Lane in full though.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I gave this a listen a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it, although if you’re expecting the blaster been to be like all the V’Ger material in Star Trek: TMP, you might be a little bit disappointed, the uses are a little bit more subtle most of the time, but it is very effective. 

So would you say it is more like it's use in the Horner's?

Also a new blog about We Have A Ghost

https://bearmccreary.com/we-have-a-ghost/

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Does anybody know anything about this?

McCreary just did the main theme and 8 other tracks. The rest is by another composer

Doesn't seem to be available digitally.  Maybe that's why Bear doesn't mention it on his site yet?

Actually I just remembered that Square Enix's soundtracks tend to not show up on streaming platforms until many months after their games are released.

For example the game Final Fantasy VII Remake came out on in April 2020, but the score album wasn't available on streaming sites until February 2021!

Anyway, this game has been out since January, so you'd think Bear would have put it on his website then.... strange.

On 18/02/2023 at 2:37 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

Would it be more in line with John Barry's use thereof in The Black Hole?

On 01/03/2023 at 9:19 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

McCreary just did the main theme and 8 other tracks. The rest is by another composer

That 'another composer' is Garry Schyman, last I heard, who's one of the best video game composers around. His score for TORN is excellent, as is his iconic BIOSHOCK from years ago. To be honest, his involvement makes me want to check out this more than McCreary, who's been very hit/miss for me recently.