Has there been an extended version of Luke VS Vader?

m0hawk

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're referring to "The Dark Side Beckons" from Return of the Jedi, and as far as I know, the cue is complete on the various releases of the score.

It's perfect as it is.

If Williams re-recorded it wouldn't be as good as the original.

What is lacking in the ROTJ albums is the sound quality.I would love to hear a pristine re-mastered re-mixed version of it,because as it is now all the instruments and the choir seem muddled togheter.

If the basic idea of that music were expanded into a concert work, you'd end up with something like DOTF or BOTH, which IMO were a way over-the-top for the movies and rather derivative as concert pieces. Instead of the sequences musically building to a stunning moment as in Return of the Jedi the duel pieces in the prequels are like a tedious ballet where no moment is any more important than any other. Frankly the duel in AOTC was more interestingly scored and to this day I still find the unscored portions of the duels in ANH and TESB to be the most compelling, probably because I thought the motivation of the characters worked best in those and the sound effects were used almost musically on their own.

I agree with you macrea, especially about the use of music (and lack thereof) in the original trilogy duels, but I didn't mind the underscore for duels in the prequels. Of course, I didn't like those films as much as the originals, either.

Instead of the sequences musically building to a stunning moment as in Return of the Jedi the duel pieces in the prequels are like a tedious ballet where no moment is any more important than any other.

That's a very good point.

I always wondered if BOTH was just a concert piece only until I watched the supplement material on the DVD and Williams is conducting it while the final duel is taking place (Lava surfing sequence).

So I guess he intended it to fit the scene and serve as a concert piece.

and in RotS,there is plenty of "action versions" of BotH in the cues ObiWan vs Anakin and The Boys Continue,it's not like all the material had been tracked with the concert piece