Favorite inactive/retired film composer

Hlao-roo

Inactive/Retired Composers  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite inactive/retired film composer?

• John Barry
    • Brad Fiedel
    • Maurice Jarre
    • Leonard Rosenman
    • Laurence Rosenthal
    • Arthur B. Rubinstein
    • Other

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rosenthal had an opera staged a couple of years ago...

I know he has done some stuff recently, but I included him because he has not written a film or TV (or, obviously, video game) score or theme for several years. Goldenthal contributed some original material to Across the Universe (and S.W.A.T isn't technically "over 5 years" ago), so I didn't make him a choice.

I knew Barry would garner the lion's share of the votes, but I thought the brilliant Rosenman and Rosenthal would've snagged a few more than they have.

Barry was obvious, but I'm actually surprised Rosenman is getting that many votes. I usually get the feeling that aside from me, there are only two or three people around who don't hate his music.

I knew Barry would garner the lion's share of the votes, but I thought the brilliant Rosenman and Rosenthal would've snagged a few more than they have.

Barry was obvious, but I'm actually surprised Rosenman is getting that many votes. I usually get the feeling that aside from me, there are only two or three people around who don't hate his music.

Waaaaa! Mommy, Mr. Rosenman ruined Star Trek and RoboCop! I hate him forever!

Well I would have went with Bruce Broughton but I think he's scored some TV projects in the last 4 or 5 years.

John Barry was my choice followed by Rosenmann and Rosenthal.

Rosenman, he's definitely the most skilled and innovative composer in the list. He studied under schoenberg you know.

Actually he's one of those composers who broke new ground and changed the course of film music. He wrote the cobwebs in 1955, the first 12 tone serial film score! Now there have been other famous serial film scores, like planet of the apes. This was the first.