Roy Scheider (Jaws) passes away

Eric_JWFAN

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sad to hear this,

he was a very good actor,

and his performance in Jaws has often been underrated.

Its truly a great performance, of an everyday guy.

Ahhh, this truly makes me sad. I loved him in Jaws and Jaws 2. I was (and am still) looking forward to his part as Nararator of The Shark is Still Working. He will be missed.

he frequented the Barnes and Noble that I worked in but I never intruded on his privacy, I knew he had cancer but he looked ok.

YOUR GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT.

I liked him in Marathon Man too ... and Last Embrace. Off the top of my head, I don't really remember him in anything else.

For the world, he's that guy from Jaws.

Don't forget THE FRENCH CONNECTION...he was brilliant in that.

He'll get the bigger boat now.

RIP Roy :happybday: A sad day indeed. Watching the BAFTAs last night, I was gobsmacked to see Brad Renfro amongst the list of people who have died during the past year.

I think I'll watch All that Jazz. Probably my favorite performance of his. I imagine that hearing his narration of The Shark is Still Working is going to be quite a bitter-sweet experience.

Wow. Saw this when I got up this morning, sad, sad news. He was one of those actors that popped up in various films over the years and always, always turned in a great performance. My favorites of his career include...

Jaws

Jaws 2

Blue Thunder

The Russia House

SeaQuest DSV

RIP, Mr. Scheider.

--Kevin

A guy who never really got the accolades I think he deserved - I have several of his movies in my dvd collection and am digging out the Jaws movies tonight.....in the first he was the human lynchpin of a great trio of actors, and in the second he was really one of only 2 good reasons for watching the movie! Strangely I watched Blue Thunder last night (a guilty pleasure) and was wondering what he was up to....very sad to see this news.

Ted - that's a great tribute and the perfect scene to pick on.

RIP Mr Scheider, Sir.

Thanks, Miguel and Greg! It's short and I kind of wrote it on a whim, so given my limitations I'm glad you both liked it. There are so many moments like that in Jaws, which is one of my favorite movies not just because it's a wonderful primal adventure, but because it is very human. There are countless great performances and a fair amount of real human drama. Scheider is the centerpiece holding everything together; it's one of the most magnetic performances I've ever known.

Ted

"Show me the way to go home..."

This is kinda weird, but I had only been listening to my ipod all day and no radio. I listened to both Jaws and Jaws 2 today without hearing anything about Roy Scheider.

We'll miss you!

Frosty

Laugh at me, but I've never seen Jaws straight through (just the beginning and end- not the middle!)........ however, I definately remember Roy's character. He'll be greatly missed. :P

R.I.P. Roy Scheider.

I have posted my tribute here.

Ted

Thanks Ted that was awesome.

Henrythomasgirl, do yourself a favor and watch Jaws from beginning to end, not just to see the late Roy Scheider but to watch one of the greatest film constructions of all time.

Jaws is a tribute to the concept of less is more.

Henrythomasgirl, do yourself a favor and watch Jaws from beginning to end, not just to see the late Roy Scheider but to watch one of the greatest film constructions of all time.

Indeed!

You brought a tear to my eye.

Imagine if Jaws was being made today? :(

Bruce would be fully visible from the first attack onwards in all it's CGI ghastliness and Chief Brody would be played by someone under 25, who starred in The O.C. or something like that.

"You can tell your children of the day when everyone looked up and realized we are only

tenants of this world. We have been given a new lease, and a warning, from the landlord."