Star Wars - The Clone Wars

Joe Brausam

Hell yeah! TCW actually ruined Sith a bit for me, when I rewatched it after a show binge, and returned to the whiny bitchy Hayden after the more mature, but increasingly hotheaded Anakin of the show.

4 minutes ago, John said:

I watched a handful of episodes with a friend and that was enough. Then I tried a little later to watch it from the beginning and maybe made it through the first two episodes.

Same here; I watched the first few episodes as they premiered ten years ago (!), didn't feel compelled to continue.

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

The words “Rebels” and “Satisfying” don’t belong in the same paragraph

Aw, that's a shame. Too kiddy?

The only satisfying thing about Rebels is how close they sticked to the McQuarrie concept art, and how some episodes handled Thrawn. Also Maul vs. Old Ben.

TCW had a big amount of filler, especially in the first two seasons, but I'm sure there are many fan watch orders out there that collect all the essentials. I watched it in a complete chronological order.

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

TCW had a big amount of filler, especially in the first two seasons, but I'm sure there are many fan watch orders out there that collect all the essentials. I watched it in a complete chronological order.

The true JWFan way!

I liked Rebels! Never lived up to the best of Clone Wars though.

I think Rebels worked as a nice epilogue for Ahsoka, Maul, Rex, and Hondo.  But I’m not really about capital-P Plot as an end-all be-all, especially in an adventure serial like Star Wars.  Even the weirdest later arcs like the four droids in the wilderness and Jar Jar and Mace’s Big Adventure were good fun.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I liked Rebels! Never lived up to the best of Clone Wars though.

I think Rebels worked as a nice epilogue for Ahsoka, Maul, Rex, and Hondo.  But I’m not really about capital-P Plot as an end-all be-all, especially in an adventure serial like Star Wars.  Even the weirdest later arcs like the four droids in the wilderness and Jar Jar and Mace’s Big Adventure were good fun.

That Jar Jar and Mace arc was far better tha. It had any right to be!

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Mace Windu and Jar Jars Binks as a buddy duo?

With shades of Indiana Jones 

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

TCW did something special with Jar Jar because I liked him every time he appeared.  Cartoons suited him, for some reason!

Theres just a bit much of him in TPM I think. A little bit more restraint was required. 

But the big problem isn’t the fact that hes cgi, the problem is he’s a cartsoon character in live action. Obviously being in a cartoon takes that negative away.

I watched a couple of the so-called "good" episodes and they were exceedingly mediocre and boring.  I really don't get the appeal of this series

Hurray for the people who liked it I guess.  

I will say that the music was a tiny bit better than how I remembered it.  I still wouldn't say I liked it but it's at least relatively competent. 

8 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Yes it’s too kiddy but it’s very inconsistent in terms of characterization (especially Ezra) and most of it is just boring as hell. Or extremely annoying. 

TCW really picked up midway through season 3. There’s some good stuff in the 2.5 seasons before that but it’s hit or miss. A lot of it gets better once you’ve seen the whole thing but there was a point in season 3 where it just took off and was largely magnificent from there on out. Few bumps but still amazing overall.

Once they shed the banal, useless, diversionary stories to fill-in time Clone Wars had some great moments - enough so to flesh out the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka.

This is getting to be a MASH situation, where the show lasts much longer than the war it's taking place in.  (Yes, I know the Korean War is real and the Clone War is made up)

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2008 at 1:54 PM, Mr. Breathmask said:

Because I'm sick of Star Wars.

I want it to be done, over. I don't want the market to become saturated with milkings and spin-offs. I want for the films to regain their stature and stand as something we can watch over and over again like I imagine many people did between 1983 and 1999 (or 1997).

Not for Star Wars to be reduced to another franchise name that has had too many different incarnations and continuations for its own good.

Oof, that comment did not age well.

2 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

It aged perfectly well. If anything, people agree more emphatically with Mr. Breathmask now that the mouse is in charge.

Let me rephrase what I meant: his post aged spectacularly. The idea that Star Wars was over-saturated back in 2008 compared to now, or that it could possibly go back to how it was in the '90s, did not age well. 

I wish I could go back in time to reply, "buddy, just you wait and see..."

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Rebels was bad and Resistance is awful. It’s so good to have The Clone Wars back! Trailer has me excited!

Haven't seen Resistance, but loved Rebels.

Looking forward to this season of TCW, but I kinda feel like Darth Maul's character has been spent by this point. 

I'm in the process of watching the whole series in chronological order and it's great - brings humanity to so many aspects the Prequels are shat on for and enhances them in a way Lucas wasn't able to. Anakin's character is fleshed out, the clones are given their own personalities and story arc which leads into RotS and Order 66.

Jar Jar is even more of a bumbling prick, which is actually surprising.

Back when I did that, it did successfully make me dislike RotS and especially Hayden's lines and acting even more.

What a fucking baby. Plus we already know from the Ahsoka book (which was released in 2016!) that she does indeed beat and temporarily capture Maul during the siege of Mandalore. He eventually escapes when the clones turn on Ahsoka. We literally already know almost everything that will happen in this Mandalore arc. lol

Ahsoka is good as hell.

Saw this video on Twitter yesterday.  Maul got sliced in half in his first battle with a Jedi padawan, and at the end of his road he gets killed before he even swings his saber.  Why would him losing 1 to 1 versus a different padawan (trained and war-tested as displayed in 6 previous seasons) be controversial to this loudmouth?

• 4 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

It looks like it’s just one track?

Yeah it seems more of a Rebels situation than a Mandalorian one.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

I wish we'd see even a hint of music from Rebels seasons 3/4

Have you not seen all of the music that is already available for those?

If anyone's interested I have a spreadsheet that contains everything I've come across for the score: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MFEMFDmgeWg4VzjKqp2fPxsf6KY2R2tFkhKKiJ37qRc/htmlview

28 minutes ago, CGCJ said:

Have you not seen all of the music that is already available for those?

If anyone's interested I have a spreadsheet that contains everything I've come across for the score: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MFEMFDmgeWg4VzjKqp2fPxsf6KY2R2tFkhKKiJ37qRc/htmlview

Im more interested in official releases than in having to cobble stuff together

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

It looks like it’s just one track?

I don't see anything on the iTunes store yet, so I'm holding out hope for something substantial.

Nevermind, there it is.  Bummer!  Misleading to say that episode soundtracks would be released.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 4:44 AM, Arpy said:

Haven't seen Resistance, but loved Rebels.

I liked Rebels pretty well too.

Main character on Resistance is obnoxiously stupid though.

It gets better nearer the end of the season.

Hoping that season 2 continues an upward trend...