Star Wars - The Clone Wars

Joe Brausam

I think Resistance Season 1 had a good build and worked really well once you got a handle on who the target audience was and how they went about doing the show stylistically.  Resistance Season 2 didn't work well for me at all, unfortunately - kind of aimless -  although the finale was satisfying enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Soundtrack release coming March 13 for the first 4 episodes of season 7 (The Bad Batch arc)!

Spoiler

01 Star Wars Main Title & A Galaxy Divided (01:13) – The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra
02 Misplaced Hope (01:48)

03 Droids Approaching (2:04)

04 Clones Retreat (02:28)

05 Anakin and Padmé (01:49)

06 Chase in the Sky (03:14)

07 Poltechs (03:13)

08 Search Party (02:21)

09 Escape Route (01:56)

10 Walkers Battle (03:11)

11 Mission Begins (02:41)

12 Ticking Time Bomb (02:50)

13 Bad Batch Heroics (02:09)

14 Finest Troopers (02:27)

Disappointingly far from complete, although was to be expected to be honest. Very disappointing compared to The Mandalorian releases.

52 minutes ago, CGCJ said:

Soundtrack release coming March 13 for the first 4 episodes of season 7 (The Bad Batch arc)!

Hide contents

01 Star Wars Main Title & A Galaxy Divided (01:13) – The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra
02 Misplaced Hope (01:48)

03 Droids Approaching (2:04)

04 Clones Retreat (02:28)

05 Anakin and Padmé (01:49)

06 Chase in the Sky (03:14)

07 Poltechs (03:13)

08 Search Party (02:21)

09 Escape Route (01:56)

10 Walkers Battle (03:11)

11 Mission Begins (02:41)

12 Ticking Time Bomb (02:50)

13 Bad Batch Heroics (02:09)

14 Finest Troopers (02:27)

Disappointingly far from complete, although was to be expected to be honest. Very disappointing compared to The Mandalorian releases.

Was there any tracked music in the episodes? I remember there being something that sounded familiar.

2 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Was there any tracked music in the episodes? I remember there being something that sounded familiar.

I think it was all new, although some music did sound like a few older cues but I'm pretty they were new.

Here's the composer credits for the Bad Batch soundtrack (also listed in my spreadsheet):

Spoiler

01 Star Wars Main Title & A Galaxy Divided - Kevin Kiner (Same recording from the Movie)

The Bad Batch

02 Misplaced Hope - Sean Kiner

03 Droids Approaching - Kevin Kiner

04 Clones Retreat - Sean Kiner

A Distant Echo

05 Anakin and Padmé - Kevin Kiner

06 Chase in the Sky - David Glen Russell

07 Poltechs - Sean Kiner

08 Search Party - Dean Kiner

On the Wings of Keeradaks

09 Escape Route - David Glen Russell

10 Walkers Battle - Kevin Kiner

Unfinished Business

11 Mission Begins - Kevin Kiner

12a Ticking Time Bomb [00:00-01:32] - Dean Kiner

12b Ticking Time Bomb [01:32-End] - David Glen Russell

13b Bad Batch Heroics [00:40-End] - Sean Kiner

13a Bad Batch Heroics [00:00-00:40] - David Glen Russell

14 Finest Troopers - Sean Kiner

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

This latest episode they aired is easily one of the best the show has ever done.  It's insane how far the animation has come. They finally gave Kiner an adequate music budget to utilize an entire orchestra and the music is some of his best work, I feel. Everyone seems to have brought their A-game.  

They used an orchestra several times before this.. (in Season 5 finale for example)

28 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

They used an orchestra several times before this.. (in Season 5 finale for example)

True, but the seemingly more densely arranged pieces and how much more mileage Kiner gets out of the orchestra this go-around really makes me think they were able to take things to the next level with what they could do. Poor wording on my part. 

Quite strange that the latest ep opened with the main fanfare, but probably to distinguish this as a part of the prequels. 

The first four eps of this season felt like filler stories relegated to mid-season stories, taking up precious time on this final season!

On 4/18/2020 at 11:07 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

This latest episode they aired is easily one of the best the show has ever done.  It's insane how far the animation has come. They finally gave Kiner an adequate music budget to utilize an entire orchestra and the music is some of his best work, I feel. Everyone seems to have brought their A-game.  

The opening cue appears to have been written by David Glen Russell:

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad the cue in that video^ is only a midi mockup on the new OST album, rather than that live orchestra recording... :pat:

(0:33 in this vid is where the music in that Twitter clip starts, for comparison.)

I genuinely don't know what the deal is with this. Did whoever put the album together, use the wrong file for that track? Did they forget they recorded that one with live orchestra? Pretty much all the other tracks on the album are live orchestra recs, so it seems this is an anomaly with just the "Battle of Yerbana" track. 

I'm not sure if there's any way to alert Lucasfilm/Walt Disney Records and get them to re-upload the track to digital music services, with the correct version? Just sucks pretty bad, since that cue is easily one of the highlights of the arc, and it just sounds so underwhelming as a midi mockup. Feel kind of bad for David Glen Russell that his cue was treated this way; it deserves to be heard as it sounds in the ep.

So, hope they can fix it somehow. The album is only released digitally, so theoretically it would be a lot easier to briefly pull the album and fix it (or somehow swap out the file for that track) than with a physical product.

Kiner really did bring his A game for this last season. I've enjoyed a spotting of his tracks here and there throughout the show's run, but these last few arcs have been a kick in the ass, in a positive sense. Disappoining about the Battle of Yerbana but I'm sure it will get fixed.

Agree about the quality of this last season's music. And Re: Yerbana, I really hope it gets fixed! When you listen through the album from start to finish, it sticks out like a sore thumb as it's the only track that isn't live orchestra.

Hm, most of the correct "Battle of Yerbana" track audio can be heard in this behind the scenes video, from 2:45-4:09:

I've Tweeted at some of the composers and various Lucasfilm publicists/staff people to let them know the problem/see if there's a plan to re-upload the album with the correct track, but so far no one has responded... Not sure if they're just planning on fixing it behind the scenes and don't feel the need to confirm that they are, or if they have no intention of fixing it and just don't want to draw further attention to the fact that it's incorrect, so they're ignoring...

I'm hoping it's the former, although it would be nice if someone would at least be forthcoming about what the deal is. Some other people have noticed too, so it's not just me. I'd rather get a straight-up "We're not going to fix it, sorry."

And I know, it's just a cue on a TV show soundtrack. But man, is it frustrating to fall in love with a cue 3 weeks ago --> be looking forward to it hopefully being on the soundtrack --> be elated when you see it is on the soundtrack --> ...and then listening to it only to discover it's the one track that they screwed up, like this. :folder:

I'm not sure what the likelihood is of them fixing it. I've never sold music digitally, so I have no clue how much of a hassle it would be for them to re-upload the album to the various services (iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, Qobuz). Theoretically I would think it's not a very involved process, but who knows? I would hope that at least the composer, David Glen Russell, is pushing for them to fix it so that his track can be heard at its best. It'd be pretty crappy if the final soundtrack of the final arc of the final season—the one arc recorded with a live orchestra—kept this mistake and didn't get it fixed at some point. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

A bit off topic, but I just finished this comparison video about the Clone Wars movie and The Scorpion King for fun...

LOL, Kiner is no stranger to stuff like that. Are you at all familiar with his "homage" to Kilar's DRACULA, in the show?

7 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't have Kilar's Dracula, nor am I familiar with it... Which cue should I be looking for?

Ah, sorry! Looks like Holko's got you covered. The tune in question is basically the movie's main theme, and has been used in some trailers too.

Then there is that cue in Shadow (?) of Malevolence that kind of aounds like Wrath if Khan.

For some reason I remember one episode having a Desert Chase knockoff but I'm not completely sure. It could be really random.

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

For some reason I remember one episode having a Desert Chase knockoff but I'm not completely sure. It could be really random.

Ivfeel like that was an Droid (R an C3) episode

1 hour ago, Holko said:

The Clone Wars features a wide variety of knock-offs.

It's like a buffet of lukewarm leftovers.

Watched the finale just now.

Good stuff!

Music-wise, "Lament" reappearing was a powerful moment.

Also, the complete lack of Star Wars-ey heroic music in those final two episodes made for quite the chilling atmosphere.

Big contrast indeed.

The Kiner Brothers (Sean & Dean Kiner) have released an unused cue from Victory and Death: End Credits. I've updated my spreadsheet to included this.

It's labelled as M15V2, and features very out of place sounds over the synths as used. Very obvious why it wasn't used. (It really doesn't fit with the tone set by the two previous cues) Presumably V1 is the version that was actually used in the episode.

19 hours ago, CGCJ said:

The Kiner Brothers (Sean & Dean Kiner) have released an unused cue from Victory and Death: End Credits. I've updated my spreadsheet to included this.

It's labelled as M15V2, and features very out of place sounds over the synths as used. Very obvious why it wasn't used. (It really doesn't fit with the tone set by the two previous cues) Presumably V1 is the version that was actually used in the episode.

Holy crap I didn't know you had a spreadsheet for TCW. Very nice work!

1 hour ago, CGCJ said:

I also have ones for Rebels, The Freemaker Adventures, and The Mandalorian.

Even the Freemaker ones?

Wow!

Shame there is so little material available from that.

I remember a fair few pretty decent Williams references from the TV episodes.

3 hours ago, CGCJ said:

The New Yoda Chronicles, a game that used to be on lego.com.

Ah interesting, I think I've heard of that before but had no idea what it was. Of course I doubt anyone has a rip of that anymore...

EDIT: I was able to locate an old APK and extract the audio files from it.

51 minutes ago, CGCJ said:

The New Yoda Chronicles, a game that used to be on lego.com.

That's a TV series too.

"Yoda Chronicles" was renamed "New Yoda Chronicles" for its second/third season when it moved from Cartoon Network to DisneyXD.

If I remember correctly...

2 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

That's a TV series too.

I know, the game was a tie-in for the series. Also, I forgot to add the spreadsheet I have Resistance.

The Kiner Brothers (Sean & Dean Kiner) have released another version of the End Credits from Victory and Death. I've updated my spreadsheet to included this.

This is labelled as V4 and is much closer to the version in the episode, although it isn't an exact match. Could be that there's a still yet to be released later version that is a 100% match with the episode or the version in the episode is a mix of versions.

19 hours ago, TheAvengerButton said:

Man, color me unimpressed with the Resistance score. Color me unimpressed with the show, for that matter. I watched the whole first season and it wasn't for me.

The main theme is kind-of catchy.

But it also sounds weird somehow.

I'm watching the second season lately.

Nothing earth-shattering in there either.

It's thoroughly 'average at best'.

Huh, the "Battle of Yerbana" track still hasn't been fixed, on any service as far as I can tell... It's been over 2 weeks since the album came out. It's a bit worrying and weird that the TCW composers are all deliberately ignoring people who ask about it on social media. :/

12 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Huh, the "Battle of Yerbana" track still hasn't been fixed, on any service as far as I can tell... It's been over 2 weeks since the album came out. It's a bit worrying and weird that the TCW composers are all deliberately ignoring people who ask about it on social media. :/

It's only been just over a month, how is that long enough to say they're ignoring people. Who have people even asked anyway? David Glen Russell, the composer of the cue, hasn't posted anything on social media since the series ended, and none of the other composers seem to have much if any social media presence... It is ridiculous to expect anything to have been done about the track on the album in such a short amount of time, I'd honestly just accept what's on the album and hope that David will eventually release the orchestra recording of the cue himself.