Varese CD Club February 25th 2008.

Ollie

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an underwhelming collective ... sigh....

Yeah, right. :blink:

Oh, that's true, there's nothing by Williams, so it's necessarily worthless.

Oh, and it's baaaaaaaaaad Varèse, so spitting on them is mandatory, right?

:P

That is not what I was saying. Perhaps I'm getting bored with the Newman/Conti/Bernstein/North batches that are coming out as of late. It seems as though this has happened the past 2-3 batches.

Whats wrong with throwing in a Williams, or Goldsmith here and there?

I know, I know, they would if they could.

I'm not blaming Varese for nothing. I am good friends with some of the head honchos there... but still!!!

And, being a good geek, I ordered them all.

So, don't be putting words in my mouth. I was a little excited, but not as much as I was thinking I would be.

With 7 discs planned, I thought we would have 6 great ones and 1 2 cd unbeliveably outstanding release.

My apologies for the confusion.

I thought you were listing the CDs and dismissing them as "underwhelming" like those people who only post such things out of scorn.

Your reply makes it clear to me now you were disappointed (no problem), but not angry.

There are such remarkable releases in this collection I could not understand, not that someone might not be interested, but might judge it all underwhelming and therefore intrinsically uninteresting.

Sorry!

obs00070.giflivier

Actually I'm glad it turned out to be just 4 sets.

My poor credit card can breathe a sigh of relief. I was afraid it was going to be like Johnny said.

Blast it! I was hoping Varese would make it easy on me. I've already bought five Intrada albums this year, and Superman: The Music, and I was hoping I'd be able to just blow this off, but...Matilda and North and South are sounding pretty darn good...I hope they don't sell too fast.

I just ordered Matilda. Man, the shipping's outrageous! With tax and shipping combined, I spent 30 dollars on a CD that's initial cost was less than 20! I don't remember it being so bad for any other CDs I bought from Varese. Would've gotten it from Intrada or some other place, but they were selling it for 25 bucks. Oh well, I think it may be worth it. And I'm very excited.

Blast it! I was hoping Varese would make it easy on me. I've already bought five Intrada albums this year, and Superman: The Music, and I was hoping I'd be able to just blow this off, but...Matilda and North and South are sounding pretty darn good...I hope they don't sell too fast.

I made the mistake of listening to the soundclips from North And South. Now I'm debating on whether to add it to my order.

Damn you Conti!!!! Why did you compose something so good?!?!?!?!

I made the mistake of listening to the soundclips from North And South. Now I'm debating on whether to add it to my order.

Whoa, I just gave them a listen...they're really great! But there's no way I can get this, 40 is too much for now, especially since I just spent 50 on Swashbuckler and Matilda.

Many years ago Varese released a single disc with selected cues from North and South along with several pieces from The Right Stuff. They weren't actual cues from the films but re-recordings done by Conti.

Up until now that is the only legit release of North and South that I know of.

I just ordered Matilda. Man, the shipping's outrageous! With tax and shipping combined, I spent 30 dollars on a CD that's initial cost was less than 20! I don't remember it being so bad for any other CDs I bought from Varese. Would've gotten it from Intrada or some other place, but they were selling it for 25 bucks. Oh well, I think it may be worth it. And I'm very excited.

Not to rub it in, but...

For all 4 releases, the s/h stated on screen and in my invoice is $13.50-- Air Mail to France.

The previous time, for 3 of the Club releases, I paid $11.50 for s/h, and $15.50 the time before that (5 Club releases).

The tricky thing is that, whomever you order from, you save on s/h by adding a few CDs, but at some point, adding more CDs, thus paying more, to save a few dollars, no longer makes any sense. It takes an awful lot of planning, budgeting, evaluating and choosing to strike a good balance.

In this case, I never considered it, and was pleasantly surprised by the total.

I'm willing to bet that Mastilda will go first. In fact, I'm a little bit surprised that there are still copies, and apparently quite a few, or we'd get the "Fewer than ___ copies remaining" message. :P

The exact same thought came to me. 1500 copies could go pretty fast, so I decided to bite the bullet and get it. Even though I still haven't listened to the Karate Kid set.

I also seriously considered getting Conti, but my poor MasterCard would't live throught that, the 8-disc Supes set and some more stuff I got from Amazon several days earlier. So I'll order it next month, if it'll still be around at that time. I certainly hope for the best. ;)

Not to rub it in, but...

For all 4 releases, the s/h stated on screen and in my invoice is $13.50-- Air Mail to France.

The previous time, for 3 of the Club releases, I paid $11.50 for s/h, and $15.50 the time before that (5 Club releases).

The tricky thing is that, whomever you order from, you save on s/h by adding a few CDs, but at some point, adding more CDs, thus paying more, to save a few dollars, no longer makes any sense. It takes an awful lot of planning, budgeting, evaluating and choosing to strike a good balance.

In this case, I never considered it, and was pleasantly surprised by the total.

Good point. Maybe I'll try that in the future.

My apologies for the confusion.

I thought you were listing the CDs and dismissing them as "underwhelming" like those people who only post such things out of scorn.

Your reply makes it clear to me now you were disappointed (no problem), but not angry.

There are such remarkable releases in this collection I could not understand, not that someone might not be interested, but might judge it all underwhelming and therefore intrinsically uninteresting.

Sorry!

obs00070.giflivier

Oliver,

No need to apologize. I was in a bit of a punchy mood at the time and I'm sorry to of directed my punches towards you.

Not being one who has even heard Viva Zapata, or North and South, I was a bit underwhelmed. I thought there was going to be a nice shocker in there, and I didn't see it that way. But to some, Viva Zapata and North and South clearly are huge shockers. But being the open-minded music lover, I did order them all. I am willing to listen to anything. I have been delighted by the other Conti scores. The man who I thought was only as good as his most well known score "Rocky", has surprised me with some really great listening "Gloria comes straight to mind. I am a bit leary about Viva Zapata only because I never did 'jive' with the "Golden Age" of film music. But I am willing to give them a shot.

In any case, they all make a nice addition to my collection. (Which, btw, is still being held in 3 spinning towers. No more walls for me! :rolleyes: )

So, again, I apologize for making such a rude reply to you. No offense, and don't take it personal!

I ordered my North and South (thanks Incanus!). Only filp side is that I have to wait for it pretty long time. Well I can take it as a man, because I know how good it does to me!

Well I ordered Matilda from MovieMusic but I emailed Peter to see if it would be cool if he could charge my card on April 3rd and he said that would be fine. After he charges my card for the Superman set that's all the CD's I can buy until April.

Looks like Varese started shipping on the 28th.

Since they've gone away from UPS their shipping service has gotten much better, either that or they hired someone new or more people.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received Conti's North and South. It is something I have been waiting for some time, I mean it is excellent, marvelous! Conti said he composed it having an opera in his mind. Indeed if you listen to it, you can feel big and strong emotions. Premium quality score from the 80's, the golden era of the modern soundtracks.

I just received Conti's North and South. It is something I have been waiting for some time, I mean it is excellent, marvelous! Conti said he composed it having an opera in his mind. Indeed if you listen to it, you can feel big and strong emotions. Premium quality score from the 80's, the golden era of the modern soundtracks.

It's a gorgeous, lush score.

Broughton's The Blue and the Gray is a very good and interesting companion to it, as it goes the more authentic, simple Americana way (don't expect a bombastic score).

:P