Favorite Indiana Jones Main Title cue

MrScratch

Favorite Indiana Jones Main Title cue  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Indiana Jones Main Title Cue?

• Main Title: South America, 1936 (Raiders)
    • Anything Goes (Temple of Doom)
    • Indy's Very First Adventure [credit sequence only] (Last Crusade)

What is your favorite Indiana Jones Main Title cue? For obvious reasons, you cannot take into consideration the second half or so of "Indy's Very First Adventure" beyond the credit sequence in the film.

Main Title: South America, 1936

Anything Goes

Indy's Very First Adventure [just the first half]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons I was so keen on the expanded edition of ROTL was Main Title: South America, 1936 . I think this is one of the BEST CUES ever. Sure, it's low-key and without any noticeable melodies, but I love it. So ominously threatening . . . the perfect music to introduce Indy to the world!

"Main Titles, South America 1936" is amazing, as is "Anything Goes," though you have to give Cole Porter some credit for that one.

I actually find the opening of "Indy's First Adventure" extremely lame. Maybe the worst part of the score.

I'd go with Raiders as well, it does set the atmosphere perfectly. Indy's First Adventure is one of my all time favorite cues, but it doesn't get going until Indy steals the cross.

One of the reasons I was so keen on the expanded edition of ROTL was Main Title: South America, 1936 . I think this is one of the BEST CUES ever. Sure, it's low-key and without any noticeable melodies, but I love it. So ominously threatening . . . the perfect music to introduce Indy to the world!

I think some people forget that as the very first music cue in the film it is perfect in many ways. It's easy to look back on it and go "eh, its ok" but consider watching it having never seen an Indy adventure before. When Raiders first came out and people saw it for the very first time, we found ourselves wandering through the jungle with this mysterious man with a whip and fedora. Indy is not introduced onscreen until the very end of the cue.

Currently its 4-3-3, a lot closer than I thought, very interesting. I myself have not voted yet.

"Main Titles, South America 1936" is amazing, as is "Anything Goes," though you have to give Cole Porter some credit for that one.

I actually find the opening of "Indy's First Adventure" extremely lame. Maybe the worst part of the score.

Really, I think its a very nice opening. The music starts off ominously (kind of like Raiders), but we soon realize we are at home in the U.S. on a boyhood adventure in our own backyard and the mood lightens. The music reflects the beautiful desert scenery and where a fun chase is about to unfold.

In terms of cues, Indy's Very First Adventure. But usually I fastforward to the exciting bits with that cue, the Main Titles really aren't that special IMO. Same goes for Raiders. My vote goes for Anything Goes, a truly brilliant cue. My compliments to Cole Porter.

I would also have to give it to "Anything Goes", followed closely by "Indy's Very First Adventure". They are all really great, though.

Between Raiders and Temple for me - "Anything Goes" is great fun, and a marvellous way to open a movie, but Raiders' "Main Title" is a great piece too.

The best bit of "Indy's Very First Adventure" isn't the credits part, but the second half of the cue IMO.

The best bit of "Indy's Very First Adventure" isn't the credits part, but the second half of the cue IMO.

Yeah, I agree.

But the credits part can't be THAT exciting, because nothing much is happening there! :o

Another idiot!

I'm sorry I confused the opening of Last Crusade with opening of Raiders...still I like the second half of Indy's first adventure better than the Raiders opening.

If I was John Williams, I'd be happy to know that my excellent arrangement of a classic Broadway tune for one of the greatest movie openings ever was getting the respect it deserves.

But that's just me.

If you think that, then you don't know John Williams very well.

I was just f****** joking.

If I was John Williams, I'd be happy to know that my excellent arrangement of a classic Broadway tune for one of the greatest movie openings ever was getting the respect it deserves.

But that's just me.

Its Alexanger courage arrangement. Or so i read.

Really? That would be curious... Surely the first thirty seconds of the cue are an original composition by Williams. The tune of "Anything Goes" also features in the first action cue.

I can't find any information to back this up, though there is a thread at FSM that poses the same question. The album credits Williams with the arrangement.

I can't find any information to back this up, though there is a thread at FSM that poses the same question. The album credits Williams with the arrangement.

then, it must be williams.

I thin that the nazi parade from last crusade was also arranged by alexander courage, but i could be wrong.

The 30 second orchestral opener in Temple of Doom (before the singing).I always thought that was one of the coolest Williams bits ever

Yes, yes, yes!

South America: 1963 ain't too shabby either, though.

I cannot believe that the opening to the Temple of Doom is leading this poll. It's nice and all, but it doesn't come close to the atmospheres of the opening to Raiders of the Lost Ark. I am aware that it's supposed to be a completely different kind of mood for the opening of TOD, but for me, nothing comes close to Raiders.

Ted

I cannot believe that the opening to the Temple of Doom is leading this poll. It's nice and all, but it doesn't come close to the atmospheres of the opening to Raiders of the Lost Ark. I am aware that it's supposed to be a completely different kind of mood for the opening of TOD, but for me, nothing comes close to Raiders.

Ted

Im shocked, maybe taste isn't completely dead at this site.

and Ted it does have its own atmosphere, its the most brilliant opening of the 3 films, its so....alive, and it is Williams, reinterpreting Cole Porter. He makes it his own.

Oh, I definitely like the opening to TOD very much, especially the 30-second intro before the song begins. But Raiders takes the crown when it comes to pure mood and atmosphere. That could have been a very different opening if it wasn't scored in the unique way that it was. It's almost like Williams knew how much important the sound effects, i.e. the sounds of the jungle were to creating the atmosphere of the scene, so his music is meant to sort of sing with them.

Ted

Yeah, it's Raiders for me without a doubt.

Not only is it one of my fav scenes in a movie, the combination of the sound and the visual but it's one of my fav cues ever to just listen to.

Tone, texture, atmosphere, development, it's easily got a juice factor of 10+

I actually thought this cue would run away with the lead but I'm happy to see TOD do so well as it is indeed a splendid opening.

But no, for me it's Raiders every time.