Concerts in Europe *cries*?

MarieMJS

<I've been lurking here for a LONG time, mostly because work is bat-s-h-i-t insane(believe me, 3D animation is a crazy industry uhuh!) and I can't really take some time to post on forum(and that is very much annoying), so, I'm sorry for my impromptu message from space LOL... >

I know, I know, this must have been talked about already, I did search through the topics and everything but couldn't find anything about it, so please, forgive me in advance if it's a repeat... *blush*

I was wondering WHYYYY OH WHYYYY John Williams hasn't been doing any concert in Europe in AGES... I'm seriously considering travelling to the US to finally see him live, because I have a feeling I will never be able to see one concert in Europe anymore... It's just sooo frustrating, and there might be an explanation I don't know yet about this (especially by having so much messages to catch up with on this forum...).

Voila, that was a long cry of agony from an European fan <_<

Marie.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know the answer to your question, but I sympathize. I live on the other side of the Atlantic but have only been able to see the man in concert once. Who knows if the opportunity will present itself again?

Yeah, tell me about it...

The thing is I'm not sure my bank account can survive a trip to the US LOL, would definitely use this as a good excuse to visit again but... so frustrating to see the concert dates on the side bar of jwfan, with none being in Europe :)

Maybe our dear John is getting old and don't feel like travelling too far anymore... Wish he could just say that so we KNEW we have to travel to see him LOL >_<

Well coasts are a good location for anything. They are more populated and if you're close by there is no problem. However, if you're stuck in the middle, I imagine you're in Texas, then there are some problems.

I need to see JW in concert. He should have one in Strathmore, a nice 5 minute drive from my house. Itzhak Pearlman had one or is having one there. It sold out in a matter of hours.

Yeah, tell me about it...

The thing is I'm not sure my bank account can survive a trip to the US LOL,

At least you Europeans have the superior currency....

I saw JW in concert, twice actually. It was magnificent both times!

John Williams hasn't given a concert hall performance in London since July 1998. I know 'cause I was there. I know given his hectic schedule, he was been to Abbey Road many times since 1998 and it was unfortunate that he never gave another performance at the Barbican in London. Hell, Jerry Goldsmith kept coming back year after year until he was unable to do so. So Johnny, the public loves you....please return the favour....to your more sophisticated European worshippers.

P.S. Deep down, Johnny, I worship James Horner more.

The 2005 LSO concert should've gone ahead if not for the schedule clash with scoring Spielberg's War of the Worlds. Thus, Spielberg's to blame!

Hopefully he will come back sooner rather than later!

I really do hope he comes to Europe sometime. Preferably London, which is within easy reach for me.

I've only been to one film music concert, and that was because someone else cancelled. And seeing the man in person makes me feel giddy...

I really do hope he comes to Europe sometime. Preferably London, which is within easy reach for me.

I've only been to one film music concert, and that was because someone else cancelled. And seeing the man in person makes me feel giddy...

Yeah I saw this insanely cool film music concert at the Jules Verne Festival, two years ago, with some of Johnny's special themes played during the night... But still, it's not like seeing him in person and Im dying to see one of his concerts, London would be totally awesome for sure...

The 2005 LSO concert should've gone ahead if not for the schedule clash with scoring Spielberg's War of the Worlds. Thus, Spielberg's to blame!

Exactly, mere days before the concert (to which I was able to come) JW finished work with LSO for SW: RotS and left for USA, 'cause he had no time left to conduct that concert. Real bad luck. I'm from Europe too, been to London on LSO film music concert twice already, but the odds of seeing Williams conduct there some time again now seem close to zero. 8O And I too can't afford the trip to USA, whilst JW could come to London twice a day if he wanted ... :):blink:

(believe me, 3D animation is a crazy industry uhuh!

Sorry to take things off topic, but excellent! Good to see some other people from that field round here. What ya do?

Eheehhe :) No worries.

I'm a 3D character animator, Ive been doing this for almost 3 years now, and I work on music videos, tv shows, etc... My next target is feature film, hopefully!

I just finished working on a TV show for children, The Magic Roundabout/Dougal (same studio who did the crappy movie, but the tv show is way better :angry:), a 1 year and a half production, and it's only shown on nickelodon Jr UK right now, it will arrive soon in France though... :P Its a pretty cool show if you ask me, not because I work on it(doh LOL), but because we worked like crazy and really wanted to do something nice.

I think you can feel it in the end :)

But it can also be pretty intense at some points, mostly because after all, we turned a passion into a job, and the JOB is not always uber cool... >_<. Basically, that's me saying I'm currently taking a long break, temporarly fed up with animation right now LOL!

And to go back on topic, it seems everyone agree that a JW concert in Europe is kinda hopeless... Ok, now I just have to go to Boston in May, that's what everyone is saying??? Oh well, I needed a good excuse after all :P I might start selling stuff, if I want to go there and pay for it LOOL... Thank God the dollar is really low right now, the euro is so f**** powerful(you wouldn't believe the amount of stuff I bought in the last 6 months just because its half price for us >_<)...

• 1 year later...

I posted that topic a whiiiile ago, and was wondering if any of you had news about that?

Is it still a hopeless dream to see John performs in Europe? In my desperation Im considering planning my next trip around a concert so I will finally be able to see him live, but then again, that would be kinda crazy.

Or not.

ROTFLMAO

Well coasts are a good location for anything. They are more populated and if you're close by there is no problem. However, if you're stuck in the middle, I imagine you're in Texas, then there are some problems.

Mmm didnt he do a concert in Austin few weeks ago?

I posted that over a year ago.

:cool:

For the love of god.

When bringing a thread from the undead put 'RESURRECTED THREAD' in big bold capitals in the first new post so everyone knows

And no, Williams didn't do a concert in Austin. Ever.

And other big Texas city? Or was it just a Williams music concert?

In my desperation Im considering planning my next trip around a concert so I will finally be able to see him live, but then again, that would be kinda crazy.

Or not.

Only mildly crazy. I went to London three times for Goldsmith.

And no, Williams didn't do a concert in Austin. Ever.

Just Williams' music. He hasn't been to Texas himself in a long time, Mark knows the last one I think.

In my desperation Im considering planning my next trip around a concert so I will finally be able to see him live, but then again, that would be kinda crazy.

Or not.

I plan to go to Tanglewood one day, tied in with a trip to the NY area. Don't think there's any better way of being sure to see the maestro :)

Nearly did it this year, but I want to re-explore the west first, before I have to start taking life seriously and find myself less financially stable :P

It's just sooo frustrating, and there might be an explanation I don't know yet about this (especially by having so much messages to catch up with on this forum...).

Well, he is almost 80.

You complain about John Williams not going to Europe in eleven years? Well, guess what! He has never come to Argentina, and probably never will... I don't blame him.

I think he hasn't ever been on concert on South America.

I can sympathize too, Williams doesn't seem to know that there's more to the US that just what's on the coasts.

As a European JWfan who went two times on the American soil just to see the Maestro conducting his music, I can sympathize a lot with this frustration. However, I still believe that is not JW's personal fault or that he doesn't care to conduct outside US. Remember this: he's protected like the Pope by his agents and PR peoples. It's very likely they usually bring him just in concert venues and places where he's more comfortable to be (New York, Chicago and of course Boston and LA). There's also the problem of the long trip and, as the years go by, it's more and more likely that JW will be less and less willing to fly across the Atlantic. But don't give up the hope! If his health will permit, I think it's not impossible he and his agents will organize a kind of "world tour", just like Morricone is doing since a few years. I believe Johnny would be more than pleased to get applause, cheers and loving welcomes from audiences all over the world.

Williams came to Dallas in the early 80's, I believe, to conduct the Dallas Symphony.

The Orchestre de la Suisse Romande in Geneva, Switzerland will perform an all-Williams program on June 4, 2009; the conductor is Dirk Brossé. The program includes music from THE TERMINAL, MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, THE PATRIOT and FAR AND AWAY as well as "the usual suspects". Enjoy!

The 2005 LSO concert should've gone ahead if not for the schedule clash with scoring Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

Exactly, many of us rabid JW fans hoped we could see the Maestro then. He finished recording RotS a couple of days before the LSO's JW film music concert in Barbican, but had to fly back to the States immediately after the sessions, so he was unable to conduct (Dirk Brossé did). I guess that was the closest I ever came to seeing, hearing and potentionally meeting Williams. Now I don't think I ever will, he surely won't come to EU and I can't afford to travel to one of the concerts in the States. ;)

The Orchestre de la Suisse Romande in Geneva, Switzerland will perform an all-Williams program on June 4, 2009; the conductor is Dirk Brossé. The program includes music from THE TERMINAL, MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, THE PATRIOT and FAR AND AWAY as well as "the usual suspects". Enjoy!

Wow, Brossé is fast becoming Williams's stand-in conductor. Hurray!

Or not.

:rolleyes:

I went to London three times "only" to hear the LSO play film music. :)