Another Horn Concerto Performance

Saxbabe

More than a year away, but might as well post now (ahem to Mark and John)...

From Houston Symphony website:

April 2, 4, 5, 2009

You can hear John Williams’ life-long love of the horn in his concerto, which was written as he was completing the music to the third Harry Potter film. Imagine your own picture to the concerto’s movements—Angelus, The Battle of the Trees, Pastorale, The Hunt and Nocturne.

Peter Oundjian, conductor

William VerMeulen, horn

Vaughn Williams: Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis

John Williams: Concerto for Horn and Orchestra

John Williams: Celebration Fanfare

Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances

As well, Andre Previn and Leonard Slatkin are both conducting in Houston in the same general time frame.

Though ironically, I have no idea where I'll be by then, if even in the state.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than a year away, but might as well post now (ahem to Mark and John)...

From Houston Symphony website:

April 2, 4, 5, 2009

You can hear John Williams’ life-long love of the horn in his concerto, which was written as he was completing the music to the third Harry Potter film. Imagine your own picture to the concerto’s movements—Angelus, The Battle of the Trees, Pastorale, The Hunt and Nocturne.

Peter Oundjian, conductor

William VerMeulen, horn

As well, Andre Previn and Leonard Slatkin are both conducting in Houston in the same general time frame.

Though ironically, I have no idea where I'll be by then, if even in the state.

Thanks for the heads-up, Greta. I have family returning to the Greater Houston area later this year, so the chances of my being in town for events like this are greater, but not high. Hope some of you Texans can make it.

Oh, wow that is some line up...I'll be in Tulsa around then, but this would be worth the effort to make the trip down there!

From my house, the the HSO's Jones Hall is only a 45 min. drive. I will definitely be there --- and my iPod will come with me... if you know what I mean :)

Sounds like a good excuse for a 2nd Texas JWFan Meetup to me.

I missed the 1st. When (and where) was it?

I missed the 1st. When (and where) was it?

Last Memorial Day weekend (or therabouts), the Houston Symphony had a film score night. It wasn't huge, just me, Greta (Saxbabe) and Mark & Mrs. Olivarez.

Think I remember hearing about that. I don't know why I didn't attend. The HSO are a very good orchestra.

I know it's over a year away, but who else thinks they might be able to come April '09?

Wow...I wish this were happening in NY or Philly so I could hear it! I plan on performing the piece in it's entirety for my senior recital in Spring 2010, but it's so difficult that I'm already immersed in it!

Won't it be like the 4th or 5th by the time 2009 rolls around? Or do the next two concerts in Austin not count? ;)

Gee, April 2009, man I don't know if I'll be able to get away on such short notice.

Won't it be like the 4th or 5th by the time 2009 rolls around? Or do the next two concerts in Austin not count? :lol:

Heh, does just two members count as official? Meetups number 1.1 and 1.2, perhaps? :lol:

Sounds like a great concert! I don't think I'm familiar with the Celebration Fanfare. Is it on a CD?

No, it's an unrecorded piece. If i remember right, it was premiered by the Houston SO, sometime in the late 80's.

EDIT: Checked my own notes... This was comissioned by Houston SO composer-in-residende Tobias Picker for his Fanfare Project, in celebration of the Texas declaration of independence. It was premiered in 1986 by the orchestra under Sergio Comissiona. The project included comissions by composers like Christopher Rouse, Marius Constant, Elliot Carter, John Adams, Steve Reich and Picker himself, among others. Each of the news fanfares was premiered at the opening of one of the concerts. Williams fanfare is around a minute and a half and you can hear a midi of the main motif here. Built around this little theme, the fanfare is a sort of short fugue.

On a side note, Williams recorded the Tobia Picker piece "Old and Lost Rivers" on his Five Sacred Trees album.

We definately need a Celebration Fanfare recording (not to be confused with Fanfare for a Festive Occasion).There's a longer midi of it somewhere than Miguel posted

edit...Whaaa?I misread the post,it It IS in there. Were all counting on you,whoever is going.Mattmane,get a good microphone to record this

K.M.more interested in this piece than another horn concerto boot

Well, I do them...but have never had decent equipment. I don't know where I'll be then... But if not in Texas, I may have to find a way back for it!

And yeah, Bill Vermeulen is really an amazing horn player, I love hearing him at their concerts. I have a live Mahler 5th recording they did on tour from the 90s where his playing in the Scherzo is just insane...

And I didn't realize the Celebration Fanfare was unrecorded....I thought there was a boot of it floating around somewhere?

The John Adams fanfare from that project...they are actually playing that this weekend, it's called "Tromba Lontana"...I have tickets but won't be able to go...too much going on to get away.

And I didn't realize the Celebration Fanfare was unrecorded....I thought there was a boot of it floating around somewhere?

no.this is why it is of utmost important we get this one.it is likely not to be played again for another 20 years

whoever records it will be a JWFan Hero

• 6 months later...

Hey all...

Saw this in a solicitation mail from the Houston Symphony which mentions the Celebration Fanfare, scan:

celebrationfanfare.jpg

Good thing JW still had the score somewhere...

Maybe this has not been performed or recorded because the orchestra holds the performance rights?

It would be really cool if they recorded a CD of all the fanfares when they are able to buy all the scores...I think many of them have almost never been performed.

This is an almost complete list of the commissioned composers: Steve Reich, William Schuman, John Harbison, Jacob Druckman, Elliot Carter, John Adams, Christopher Rouse, Charles Wuorinen, John Williams, Carla Bley, Victoria Bond, Joan Tower, Tobias Picker, Marius Constant, Carlisle Floyd, Olly Wilson, Poul Ruders, Tikhon Khrennikov, and Aulis Sallinen.