Favorite Film Score Reviewer

Desplat13

Probably this has been discussed, but I did a search and didn't find it. Who do you most enjoy reading when it comes to soundtrack analyst? Probably my two favorites (as of right now) are Christian Clemmenson of Filmtrack.com and Christopher Coleman of Tracksounds.com. Who do you enjoy?

Colin Thomson

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite review website is Musicfromthemovies. I don't really like Filmtracks, Christian Clemmenson's grading system is a bit silly, and he never really gives chance to Goldenthal's more challenging stuff.

No one.

There's only one reviewer I pay attention to and that's me.

And I bet your neck size is still the same today as it was when you were in the Academy ;)

Clemmensen's OK, though he's a bit extreme from time to time IMHO. ;) Some names that come to mind immediately are e. g. Jeff Bond, Mike Matessino, Nick Redman, Doug Adams etc., though now I'm talking more about the guys doing the detailed CD booklet soundtrack breakdowns, which is the approach that I so deeply love. :)

Probably this has been discussed, but I did a search and didn't find it. Who do you most enjoy reading when it comes to soundtrack reviews? Probably my two favorites (as of right now) are Christian Clemmenson of Filmtrack.com and Christopher Coleman of Tracksounds.com. Who do you enjoy?

Colin Thomson

I read basically all the English-language reviews that turn up for a given score in Film Music Search. Don't have a favorite, although I like what Broxton over at Movie Music UK does. Several years ago, I would have mentioned some of the regular Williams reviewers -- Lehman, Wheeler, Fields, and Commings.

FSM has some good writers, as well, obviously.

I usually go to Filmtracks if I just need a vague idea of whether a score is any good, but I don't put too much stock in Clemmenson's opinions as he has some rather irritating prejudices.

Edit: coooool, didn't know about that search place :)

Clemmy's okay with some sharp remarks, but most of his reviews I tend to gloss over. The guy who runs Moviewave and the other who runs Soundtrack Express are also pretty good. Tracksounds have been dead for a long while.