When you're really stressed out...

ChuckM

Do you have any particular piece(s) of music you use to relax?

For me, it's "Jupiter" from Holst's The Planets. (The one by the LSO with the perfect timing all the way through.)

I turn the volume all the way up, press play, close my eyes, and do nothing but immerse myself in the music until it finishes.

It's amazing how well that works. :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any particular piece(s) of music you use to relax?

For me, it's "Jupiter" from Holst's The Planets. (The one by the LSO with the perfect timing all the way through.)

I turn the volume all the way up, press play, close my eyes, and do nothing but immerse myself in the music until it finishes.

It's amazing how well that works. :)

When you're stressed out you listen to Jupiter?? That would make it worse for me heh. Unless you skip the opening and jump right to the pretty middle section.

For me an andante middle movement of a Mozart piano concerto will do the trick.

When you're stressed out you listen to Jupiter?? That would make it worse for me heh. Unless you skip the opening and jump right to the pretty middle section.

That's the thing. The piece starts out fast paced and frantic sounding (yet still in control) but goes to a much smoother slower section. Then it picks up again and takes me with it, leaving me feeling much readier to get back to working on whatever it was that got me so stressed out.

That's the thing. The piece starts out fast paced and frantic sounding (yet still in control) but goes to a much smoother slower section. Then it picks up again and takes me with it, leaving me feeling much readier to get back to working on whatever it was that got me so stressed out.

Ah good point.

Here's some of what I listen to when stressed:

Venus - 'The planets Suite' - Holst

4th movement (fountains of medici) - 'Fountains of Rome' - Resipighi

Danse Macabre - Saint-Saens

The Lark Ascending - Vaughan-Williams

Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun - Debussy

The Prince and the Princess - 'Sheherazade' - Rimsky-Korsakov

Pavanne for a dead Princess - Ravel

and many many more.

Suffice it to say that I get stressed out quite often, so i'm listening to this type of music quite frequently.

Usually I'll listen to Vaughan Williams's Sinfonia Antartica, some Chopin and Mozart stuff, Holst's Venus or Neptune, maybe some Adiemus or Diamond Music by Jenkins etc. Some soundtracks are also appropriate.

Another day another duplicate...

Halo 3 ost!

Relax mate, you didn't have to respond to the topic. I'm glad these issues are brought up routinely because frankly, my tastes might have changed since the last time!

Plus it allows newer users to opine.

For me, intense music seems to do the trick. Recently, when stressed out at work, I put on There Will Be Blood, and it really transports me and calms me down. It doesn't make light of my mood, yet through it's eerie beauty, it brings me to a more peaceful place.

When I'm really stressed out, I put Alma across my knee and give her the spanking of a lifetime. You should see her clad head to toe in leather!!!

Another day another duplicate...

Halo 3 ost!

Relax mate, you didn't have to respond to the topic. I'm glad these issues are brought up routinely because frankly, my tastes might have changed since the last time!

Plus it allows newer users to opine.

I consider myself told!

*Leaves*

I've used The Holiday for relaxing recently...it positively oozes pleasantness and feel-good vibes, and I have comforting associations with the music from when I first got it last year.

Hehe people are going to love this one but...

Hakuna Matata ~ Lion King the Musical.

I was singing it at the top of my lungs before play practice one day when I thought my school was completely empty. Well it completely cheered me up and now one of the nuns and my former english teacher at my school now think I'm completely mental. Oh well, I got a good laugh out of it.

Some nice Morricone pieces. For example, I'm supposed to do 15 minutes of free rice every day for English. Write start and stop times and levels, write down the words i get wrong.

She's checking for 20 days tomorrow, I've done 2. So I got through 20 days of Free Rice in 2 hours listening to the entire score of My Name Is Nobody. It got me through it.

Immolation (With Our Lives, We Give Life).

If I am stressed I usually listen to something calming, peaceful and beautiful to soothe my nerves

Angela's Ashes

The Signs

Snow Falling on Cedars (absolutely fantastic for relaxation)

Angels in America (excluding the action material and more noisy stuff)

Memoirs of a Geisha

Always

Saving Private Ryan

Stepmom

Sibelius's Violin Concerto (although quite passionate at times it is relaxing).

"Us and Them" by Pink Floyd calms me down a fair bit. Also Vangelis' Soil Festivities is good. Or Antarctica.

Autumn Lonliness by Mahler is also a fine piece. Guess which larger work this is from?

2nd mvmt of Prokofiev's 3rd Symphony is soothing although it's followed by quite the demonic movement with its portamento string effects.

From Williams, The Blue Fairy is hypnotic while Stanley and Iris plus The Accidental Tourist are both good listening when I'm stressed.

John Adams' Harmonium is also exquisite.

Going to a quiet place such as a park and talking a walk is one of the best ways for me to relieve stress. Plus there usually aren't alot of people around.

If I was going somewhere, I WAS RUNNING!

:(:) That's a great film.

Yes, lol.

I also enjoy some classic Beethoven. Ninth Symphony, Fourth Movement comes to mind, as well as Moonlight Sonata. I always get sucked in, everything else doesn't matter when I'm listening to Beethoven.

Jazz.

Me too, usually some Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett, Diana Krall or maybe even Harry Potter Jazz. ;):D

Yes! Not to mention Ken Burns and Bill Evans.