re-recordings of full Williams scores

Bryant Burnette

In full Superman-fever mode, I just did some looking around on Amazon for other Man of Steel-related CDs, and found one that I knew about, but had forgotten: the 1998 re-recording by John Debney and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. I decided what the hey, and ordered one.

This also led me to remember that Joel McNeely had done a re-recording of Jaws, so I ordered one of those, as well.

Other than Midway and Amazing Stories (both of which I already had), are there any other similar re-recordings of Williams scores out there that I don't know about? I'm not talking about compilations, but full scores.

Also, what do people think of these various re-recordings?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of them lack the punch of the originals in terms of mixing.

The stereo spread is approximately 50000000000000000. They apparently forgot that the oomph comes from the center. They are both also extremely wet. So you loose personal nuances in favor of a really big hollow sound. ;)

The performances are good for both, but the mixings are unforgivable.

Both of them lack the punch of the originals in terms of mixing.

The stereo spread is approximately 50000000000000000. They apparently forgot that the oomph comes from the center. ;)

Interesting. The mixing isn't something that concerns me terribly, since I'm not an audiophile and typically listen to my music on pretty standard (if not substandard) equipment. Still, good to know.

I read several customer reviews of both Superman and Jaws; some indicated that the re-recordings were garbage, and some that said they were terrific. I figure the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, which will probably makes them worth my time (and, hopefully, money).

I usually enjoy hearing familiar scores in a manner different to what I'm used to; if nothing else, it makes me appreciate the originals that much more.

Gerhardt's ESB could be considered a re-recording of the score rather than a set of concert cues. It's generally thought to be outstanding, but I still find it merely ok and much inferiour to Gerhardt's SW and ROTJ.

Gerhardt's ESB could be considered a re-recording of the score rather than a set of concert cues. It's generally thought to be outstanding, but I still find it merely ok and much inferiour to Gerhardt's SW and ROTJ.

I didn't know about those, but will look into them promptly.

I do like the concert hall sound for some scores and thinks it works well with Williams' sound, admittedly it didn't work quite so well for Jaws but Superman's RSNO performance of Leaving Home, Planet Krypton and especially Chasing Rockets @ 01:33 better the original IMO.

I'm sure you will enjoy your purchase Bryant.

I've always wanted to buy the Superman rerecording (I've got all the other ones) but never got around to it. That's the only downside of the blue box for me, it bummed me out to ever get that version on top of the other ones. I've paid more than enough for Superman, and it's not even within my Williams top ten :lol:

In that case, same for The Fury.

And Dracula, no? Or was that just a mixup someone once posted?

Yes they must have as the LSO did indeed play on the original film soundtrack.

I do like the concert hall sound for some scores and thinks it works well with Williams' sound, admittedly it didn't work quite so well for Jaws but Superman's RSNO performance of Leaving Home, Planet Krypton and especially Chasing Rockets @ 01:33 better the original IMO.

I'm sure you will enjoy your purchase Bryant.

Sorry , but I do not think Planet krypton and leaving home are as good as the original recording ...The choirs in LH sound strange, the Planet Krypton solo bass clarinet sound like " the force theme" :lol: no question about tempi decisions in some cues ....