Favorite arrangements of classical music and/or hymns as part of the score

ChuckM

What are your thoughts on when a composer integrates classical music or hymns into the score? (Either by directly using the music or by just borrowing cues here and there from it)

Some I particularly like are Giacchino's arrangement of "Take Time to be Holy" in Call of Duty ("Red Square"), and Marianelli's usage of cues from "1812 Overture" throughout his score for V for Vendetta.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your thoughts on when a composer integrates classical music or hymns into the score? (Either by directly using the music or by deliberately borrowing cues here and there from it)

Some I particularly like are Giacchino's arrangement of "Take Time to be Holy" in Call of Duty ("Red Square"), and Marianelli's usage of cues from "1812 Overture" throughout his score for V for Vendetta.

"Amzing Grace" is used beautifully by James Horner in Wrath of Khan. It's also used just as beutifully by Basil Poledouris in Lonesome Dove. In both of those instances, I think the composer intended for the audience to get something specific out of the presence of that piece of music. In other words, they quoted it assuming that we knew what they were doing.

I can't think of an instance in which a composer used a classical piece and it felt like stealing, although I'm sure it has happened many, many times.

In my opinion, it's all about what's best for the movie, although I certainly think that credit ought to be given when credit is due.

Master and Commander does have some excellent examples. Most recently, Atonement comes to mind. Even though I object to the sentiment, the music in the Dunkirk scene was beautiful, especailly how Marianelli's music first plays against, than supports, the hymn used in the scene.

Did Horner use a hymn in the launch sequence from Apollo 13? I ask because part of that cue sounds extremely "hymn-like" to me, but I hadn't heard about him (intentionally) doing such a thing.

I really enjoy the incorporation of Mozart's "Dies Irae" from the Requiem Mass in X-Men 2 - even if the drama isn't quite appropriate for the images (Nightcrawler in the White House isn't that epic).

Any scene with Nightcrawler teleporting around and beating up people is epic enough for me

I really enjoy the incorporation of Mozart's "Dies Irae" from the Requiem Mass in X-Men 2 - even if the drama isn't quite appropriate for the images (Nightcrawler in the White House isn't that epic).

Yes, that was amazing when I first saw it. Great scene and music.

I thought the reorchestrations and cuts were rather lame.

Yes

and the Mozart in Empire of the Sun

Yes was just about to mention that as my favourite example, Williams weaves his own voice during the cue beautifully - to be precise it was Chopin though :lol:

There are a few good examples of hymns being incorporated into a score that I can think of. I particularly like the bit right at the end of War of the Worlds (the 1950s version) where Leith Stevens references 'Now Thank We All Our God' in the final few bars.

George Fenton's inclusion of 'Amazing Grace' in his score for Memphis Belle is also effective and, to give him his due, Hans Zimmer's stirring male voice choir rendition of 'Eternal Father Strong to Save' in Crimson Tide is rather good.

As for classical music, has anyone here seen 'The Savage Bees'? Walter Murphy's disco version of 'Flight of the Bumblebee' over the end titles is so bad it's good.

I actually like how Michael Kamen integrates classical music into the scores for Die Hard and Die Hard 2 (Beethoven's '9th Symphony' and Sibelius' 'Finlandia' respectively).

Also of note, although not really "classical", is Kamen's use of 'Aquarela do Brasil' by Ary Barroso in the Gilliam film Brazil.

Williams' quote of Strauss in AI (Rouge City) is one of my favorite moments of the score.

When does that pop up? It's been a little while since I listened to AI.

When David and Joe are driving over the bridge into Rouge City.

I actually like how Michael Kamen integrates classical music into the scores for Die Hard and Die Hard 2 (Beethoven's '9th Symphony' and Sibelius' 'Finlandia' respectively).

And 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home' in Die Hard With a Vengeance. Any particular reason he used Finlandia?

Die Hard 2's director is from Finland.

Which is why I think he must still have nightmares from Kamen's horrible recording of the piece. The score's ok, Kamen's fine, but his conducting of Finlandia is an abomination.

How about When You Wish Upon a Star in CE3K? :lol:

Man, I love how Williams makes this his own. I've sat and listened to just this cue 3 or 4 times in a row, it is amazing.

Yessiree. :lol: It's great, sometimes I wish he'd do that more often ... :)

The two boards I tend to frequent most is this one and the Dream Theater forums. I'm surprised I didn't see your avatar earlier. Right on!

Back on topic, I can't think of any examples not mentioned already, but I really dig what Williams did in CE3K as well.

Something I just noticed...

In the newer The Producer's movie while they are taking the Siegfried oath - Wagner's Siegfried theme is in the underscore. I've never noticed that before becuase I'd always paid more attention to the dialogue. Nice touch!

The two boards I tend to frequent most is this one and the Dream Theater forums. I'm surprised I didn't see your avatar earlier. Right on!

Sure, thanks. :lol: I'm a huge DT (and Symphony X) fan. :) However, I'm not a member of DT forums, I'd probably have to quit my job to be able to take part in discussions there on a frequent basis ... :P;)

Back on topic, hasn't Williams also done some great takes on traditional Christmas carols in Home Alone? ;)

In the newer The Producer's movie while they are taking the Siegfried oath - Wagner's Siegfried theme is in the underscore. I've never noticed that before becuase I'd always paid more attention to the dialogue. Nice touch!

It also appears in Walton's Battle of Britain, as a theme for the Germans I think. At least the suite I have even has a piece named after it: March and Siegfried Music.

It also appears in Walton's Battle of Britain, as a theme for the Germans I think. At least the suite I have even has a piece named after it: March and Siegfried Music.

I've got the Ryko (1999) Deluxe Edition, and it has a track named The Young Siegfrieds (track 21, the 2nd track of Walton's score on the CD), which, as I can see, is the same on 2004 Varese Sarabande edition.

Amazing Grace in......erm......Amazing Grace.....

Seriously - I know the whole point of the movie is the basis for the song itaself, but David Arnold weaves a fantastic score out of it....and a fantastic album....

Yes

and the Mozart in Empire of the Sun

Yes was just about to mention that as my favourite example, Williams weaves his own voice during the cue beautifully - to be precise it was Chopin though :D

Aren't there both Chopin and Mozart pieces featured in that score/film?

• 4 weeks later...