Harry's Wondrous World

Josh500

Harry's Wondrous World: 3:16 - 3:56

I can't get over how brilliant these 40 seconds are! The melody is deceptively simple, but the orchestration is so rich and complex . . . I don't have any words for it. This is something only JW could have written in this way. You can spend a day listening to this section over and over again, paying attention to different instrument groups: the strings, the woodwinds, the brass section, the percussions, etc.

Anyway, what the flutes and piccolos are up to is simply mind-boggling . . . those of you who have the written score know what I'm talking about. How does JW come up with these flourishes, anyway?

:mrgreen:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the first time I listened to that track. Boy, the smile kept getting bigger. Williams really had fun with it. I will check out what's at that seconds mark and get back with comment.

I enjoy this piece, but it's not among my favorites in the Potter series. I pretty much prefer anything from The Prizoner of Azkaban over it.

Ted

The best track in Sorcerer's Stone definitely. Although I like Azkaban more as a score, "HWW" is one of my favorite Williams Potter pieces.

For me, Harry's Wounderous World is the best cue from Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone. The whole track is delightful, but my favorite excerpt is 2:00 - 3:08... with very joyful chords! :mrgreen:

Harry's Wondrous World: 3:16 - 3:56

I can't get over how brilliant these 40 seconds are! The melody is deceptively simple, but the orchestration is so rich and complex . . . I don't have any words for it. This is something only JW could have written in this way. You can spend a day listening to this section over and over again, paying attention to different instrument groups: the strings, the woodwinds, the brass section, the percussions, etc.

Anyway, what the flutes and piccolos are up to is simply mind-boggling . . . those of you who have the written score know what I'm talking about. How does JW come up with these flourishes, anyway?

:mrgreen:

That passage is great indeed. I get struck especially by the harmonics in there every time I hear it, it's really unique use of chord progression. Also nice how he smoothly changes into the Quidditch Theme.

It's a great piece for sure, but I think I prefer Hedwig's Theme, especially the Flying theme section.

It's wierd, and nice, how both of the major concert pieces Williams wrote for SS have more than one theme incorporated in them. Almost like suites.

I also like the short section in HWW where the flute bouncily plays Hedwig's theme plays as the strings play another motif. I really love when composers play around with themes like that, and such clever touches are what continues to set Williams apart.

my favourite moment is still the first rendition of Harry's theme in the beginning after the Hedwig's theme fanfare .You can clearly tell right there how much better Williams is at writing themes than everyone else

A great, great piece. I'm not sure if it's my favorite in Potter land, but it certainly is spectacular!

indy4 - trying not to use "brilliant"

I dont know how many other composers do it, but I love how Williams always has concert pieces on his soundtracks. It also helps in making compilations (which I'm doing now and any suggestions would be welcome.)

It's an amazing track. It captures the true spirit of magic and childhood into 4 mins of the most richly orchestrated music I've heard. I'd say it might be Williams' finest composition for the Potter series.

I wholeheartely agree. To this day, it remains my absolutely favourite cue from all the HP soundtracks and many times I listen to it several times at once. Definitely it's an incredibly richly orchestrated piece of music and also a trademark JW composition in Maestro's very best style. :thumbup: I love that piece of music! Otherwise, my personal favourite part is 3:23-3:57.

Also nice how he smoothly changes into the Quidditch Theme.

One thing I adore is the trombone solo from 3:17 - 3:24, which so spectacularly introduces the Quidditch Fanfare. I think the trombone player had a smashing time with this. It seems like two other instruments try to "bring about" the fanfare, but fail . . . first the horn (3:09-3:13), then the flutes (3:14-3:17). On the third try, the trombone finally succeeds.

Really great, one of the best transitions.

When the HPSS came out,I immediately prefered Harry's wondrous World to Hedwig's Theme,which is still great

When the OS came out, I was so fixated on Hedwig's Theme, it took me awhile to "discover" HWW. But once I did, I knew that HWW was the superior piece (at least for me), although both are undoubtedly spectacular and vintage JW.

Absolutely, it's the last time a Williams cue really me bowled me over - adore it and sums up everything that's great about him.

And Josh, the LOL emoticon will be on your tombstone! :thumbup:

One thing I adore is the trombone solo from 3:17 - 3:24, which so spectacularly introduces the Quidditch Fanfare. I think the trombone player had a smashing time with this. It seems like two other instruments try to "bring about" the fanfare, but fail . . . first the horn (3:09-3:13), then the flutes (3:14-3:17). On the third try, the trombone finally succeeds.

Hm, I don't hear any trombone solo there, only trumpet, and I'm not sure if that doesn't sound more like several trumpets in unison... should check with the score... :thumbup:

Hm, I don't hear any trombone solo there, only trumpet, and I'm not sure if that doesn't sound more like several trumpets in unison... should check with the score... :thumbup:

That's trombone, if I'm not mistaken. It sounds way too low to be a trumpet!

Does anyone have the written score? Can you check? (I sold mine a few months ago.)

There's 3 trumpets in unison playing the intro to the fanfare. ...and 3 trombones playing some counterpoint underneath, but I don't think you mean that. Sure, the trumpets begin in a low position (although they can play even lower... have you heard Shostakovich's 5th symphony?), but it's definitely trumpets.

And why the heck would one sell a Harry potter score? o_O

Well, I mean the part from 3:17 - 3:24. I'm still pretty sure that's (a) trombone(s), though.

I needed the money to get myself the Jaws 2 and Home Alone 2 albums! :thumbup:

Well, what's written there is exactly what I hear in the original recording... it clearly sounds like trumpet, not trombone.

(I copied the passage in question from the Sig.Ed. score, as I don't have a scanner here atm. And the only real difference between the Sig.Ed. score and the recording I hear is the ending (which corresponds to the CoS version)

For me, Harry's Wounderous World is the best cue from Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone. The whole track is delightful, but my favorite excerpt is 2:00 - 3:08... with very joyful chords! :thumbup:

Indeed! I like the section much better. Although, this doesn't rank high on my Potter list and Azkaban, I feel, demolishes Williams's other Potter work.

Still, a great piece indeed!

I still like Leaving Hogwarts best on the CD.

But let's let someone check who has the Signature Edition score. :thumbup:

Chris already did...

If it were a few months earlier, I could check at the live performance here in Vienna... :)

Save it for a Zimmer clone.

Yes ,the music for the trailer of Prince Caspian,that should fit your definition of brilliant

Save it for a Zimmer clone.

Yes ,the music for the trailer of Prince Caspian,that should fit your definition of brilliant

Actually, suprisingly enough, I didn't like that music at all.

This is one of my favorite John Williams tracks. SS was the first soundtrack I ever owned, and it's what introduced me to John Williams. I was blown away by the orchestration in this piece, and I'm still blown away today. The harp and glockenspiel add a lot to the section around 2:55-3:00. I also love the rumbling low brass and how it sounds like they're rattling the snares in 3:44.

I too hope this is the music chosen at Islands of Adventure. You'll be able to walk from Jurassic Park to Hogsmeade and hear continuous Williams!

"Harry's Wondrous World" is a truly wonderful piece from beginning to end.

Little trivia: the descending rhythmic figure in woodwinds at 2:00 (when the Hogwarts/Gryffindor theme kicks in) is reminiscent of Wagner's Tannhauser overture.

I've always classified this piece into the "just a bit too much" category.

I'd choose Hedwig's Theme over this. To my ears at least, it has a much more pleasing development and culmination of ideas.

I've always classified this piece into the "just a bit too much" category.

I'd choose Hedwig's Theme over this. To my ears at least, it has a much more pleasing development and culmination of ideas.

I agree (although I still prefer HWW), and I think that's why they complement each other so perfectly. These two concert pieces almost bookend the entire score, and encompass almost every aspect of the magical Harry Potter world.

On another note, I remember hearing somewhere on this board that the Gryffindor/Hogwarts theme was heavily borrowed from another classical piece. Which piece was that? Can anyone remember?

On another note, I remember hearing somewhere on this board that the Gryffindor/Hogwarts theme was heavily borrowed from another classical piece. Which piece was that? Can anyone remember?
Little trivia: the descending rhythmic figure in woodwinds at 2:00 (when the Hogwarts/Gryffindor theme kicks in) is reminiscent of Wagner's Tannhauser overture.

I agree (although I still prefer HWW),

Then how do you agree?

That Hedwig's Theme has a "much more pleasing development and culmination of ideas," in your words. HWW seems more like a Harry Potter medley to me, although a medley is not necessarily a bad thing. I guess the main reason I prefer HWW is because it has those 40 seconds I talked about.

Lord Maurizio was referring to the "rhythmic figures in woodwinds," not the melody itself. I'm talking about the ascending melody lines . . . which seem somehow strangely familiar. I just can't place it.