Which Spielberg's sweeping shot impresses you the most?

Josh500

Off the top of my head, the long shot at the beginning of The Lost World impressed me.

The champagne flutes, the boat, the steward . . . all captured brilliantly in one shot.

Which other examples can you think of?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy and Gillian seeing Devils Tower for the first time.

Neil

Spielberg's greatest sweeping shot bar none. It's also one of the best marriages of music and imagery in cinema history.

When I think of sweeping shots, I think lots of camera movement, not a simple crane lift as in the Devil's Tower reveal.I am not a fan of BIG SWEEPING SHOTS, and think there are too many of them these days, especially CG ones.

When Indy chases after Marion in the basket and then realizes there are tens of baskets. The camera work in this shot is incredible.

When Indy chases after Marion in the basket and then realizes there are tens of baskets. The camera work in this shot is incredible.
That combined with Harrison Ford's facial expression and John Williams' music always makes me laugh out loud.

Well 2 of my favorite scenes are when the shark first passes by the Orca in Jaws and Brody's reaction to the Kitner attack.

Quite a few to choose from here.

Jaws and its spine-tingling shot from the shark's perspective when it approaches Michael in the more secluded area of the beach.

Definitely Empire of the Sun and the scenes aready mentioned - there's also a superb high shot that gently swoops down to the parents reclaiming their children near the end.

Mikael Salomon did some wonderful work on Always, specifically the Hepburn scenes and the cut away to that exquisite scene with the same man from Close Encounters (and I think from the Ghost Train Amazing Stories episode), playing a hobo that could hear what Pete was saying. Love that scene, from a technical perspective anyway.

Hook has some good moments, the pull back that reveals the pirate ship springs to mind.

The first chase with Cruise in Minority Report in the alley features some amazing sweeping shots too.

My all time favourite sweeping shot will always be credited to Richard Donner though in Superman, when Clark says goodbye to Martha, the music swells and the camera just glides through the cropes, rises and swoops over their heads - goose bumps every time!

A lot of the ones already mentioned.

Another one that comes to mind, also from Empire of the Sun, is that shot of Jim walking along the rice paddies (during the "Seeing the Bomb" cue) as the supply containers are being dropped by parachute.

My all time favourite sweeping shot will always be credited to Richard Donner though in Superman, when Clark says goodbye to Martha, the music swells and the camera just glides through the cropes, rises and swoops over their heads - goose bumps every time!

You ought to credit Geoffrey Unsworth as well. A true genius of the camera.

Indeed, that shot is really amazing. It also give me goose bumps every time, and usually I can't resist watching it two or three times in a row ... Magnificent. :nopity: to Donner and Unsworth.

Indeed, that shot is really amazing. It also give me goose bumps every time, and usually I can't resist watching it two or three times in a row ... Magnificent. :nopity: to Donner and Unsworth.

Ditto. It's like Superman is taking flight.

Speaking of Superman, one of my favorite scenes is the first shot we see of Superman as he flies by the camera as he leaves the fortress of solitude.

Mark, that is a great shot, one shot I love with the music, though not sweeping is the brilliant through the Jaws shot in whatelse Jaws.

Mark, that is a great shot, one shot I love with the music, though not sweeping is the brilliant through the Jaws shot in whatelse Jaws.

Is that the one we see as the Orca sets out during the "Out to Sea" cue?...I've always like that one