What score do you think Williams wrote the quickest?

Eric_JWFAN

If you had to guess, what post-1975 score do you think took the least amount of time for Williams to write? (Your answer doesn't necessarily mean you're saying it's a poor score)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These were unusual sounding for Williams at the time. Not sure he composed that very fast.

But the Terminal sounds like Williams writing melodies and cues as fast as he can without looking back

Anything from 2002--especially CoS. And The Patriot. And maybe SPR, just because it's so short. And HA2, because so much of it is recycled from the first film.

And HA2, because so much of it is recycled from the first film.

Yes, quite possible, though he obviously had some work with the new orchestrations etc.

I think the answers people are coming up with have more to do with scores people don't like much than scores they think he wrote quickest. I mean, AOTC??? Come on! It may be a poor score by Williams standards, but that much orchestral music takes many many months to write, no matter what the quality. Trust me on this!

The answer is still quite clearly The accidental Tourist. It's piano-led, has an almost improvisatory feel to it, and each track is an almost identical variation on the main theme. I know it has many fans, but this score could have been written in three days. Seriously.

Williams actually did not do very much on that score, most of it was adapted by William Ross.

Do you mean HA2 or CoS? 'Cause I don't remember William Ross ever being mentioned as JW's collaborator on HA2 ... ;)

I think that was a joke...

Re. The Patriot, I don't believe this was a rejected score. I read that Arnold did some demos for the producers and that they didn't think he was right for the movie, and JW happened to be available. Do correct me if this is wrong ;)

I don't think The Terminal can be the shortest, because wasn't the premiere of the movie delayed to give Williams more time after being exhausted with PoA?

Rosewood was a replacement score though. I am pretty sure Williams writes 1 minute 30 seconds on average per day no matter what he is writing. There is a lot that goes in to each score, as in the timings, geting the right mood, etc. I am sure for monothematic scores like Accidental Tourist, Williams spends a great deal of time getting the right thing since it will be repeated so much.

On the other hand Rosewood is so unique or at least "unusual" for Williams and filled with wild guitar stuff and "authentic" gospel writing. I'd imagine he'd spend some time working those things out; it's not like Goldsmith's AFO, which is very good and features some nicely complex action writing, but at the same time typical enough in style that I can easily imagine Goldsmith writing it in a rush - but then, I didn't know the Rosewood schedule.

What about Stepmom, how much time did he have for that?

I am going to say Attack of the Clones, although I was unaware that he wrote The Terminal in a short period of time. Its such a great score...I would've thought he spent a lot of time writing it.

The Patriot sounds likely. But HPII certainly feels like it was written rather haphazardly, in a good way. I think has more new melodies to it than if JW had had more time on it. And that's part of it's charm, to me. It feels like JW just throwing the first idea he got onto the screen.

Stepmom.

I don't know why, I just think that's the one he wrote the quickest.

Intuition goes a long way AI.

Yes Sir it does.

Sir? I call you Sir

ok, try again...

Intuition goes a long way AI, Sir.

Good Cat.