Favorite Mission: Impossible Score

Koray Savas

Favorite Mission: Impossible Score  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite score from the franchise?

• Mission: Impossible The TV Series -- Lalo Schifrin
    • Mission: Impossible -- Danny Elfman
    • M:I-2 -- Hans Zimmer
    • M:i:III -- Michael Giacchino

I don't expect Hans Zimmer's input to get a single vote, and in this context I agree. My vote goes towards Giacchino. He did a great blend of action music and espionage. His 'Factory Rescue' cue is magnificent. Yes, I know Schifrin founded much of the score, but Giacchino added a lot of his own style and made it his own.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most definately NOT Zimmer. Pretty much tied between the Elfman and Giacchino scores. I guess maybe Elfman a little more.

I don't really like any of the MI scores TOO much. All in all, I'd say it's my least favorite trilogy for scores. Elfman's is a bit boring (though I love "Betrayal), Zimmer's is very cheesy (though it fit the cheesy film wonderfully), and Giacchino's is like Elfman's. But M:i:III is really starting to grow on me. I really am enjoying some of the cues that I have long forgotten or overlooked. My vote would go to Giacchino, who's score is really pretty good.

Oh, and Koray: click "full edit" on your first post, and above it should say "Click Here To Manage Your Poll."

Easily Elfman's. One of my favorite scores of the 90's, and currently my favorite Elfman score. His use of thematic material, both Schifrin's and his own, is absolutely fantastic.

I like both Elfman and Giacchino equally, but since I tend to hum Elfman's more, thats what I voted for. For me, the quality of the film helps, as while 3 is an improvement over 2, its still not as good as the first. I like Lost myself, but I don't see why everyone considers JJ Abrams to be the second-coming of Spielburg, as I definitely don't see what's so great about him.

It may have been your brother.

I would have picked Hans second. Elfman's is rather boring for me, though in general I like Elfman more than Zimmer. But none of these scores would get an A from me, Giacchino's would probably get a B+.

You should have left out Lalo Shifrin--he scored a TV series, in the 60s and 70s, as opposed to block buster movies today, and with Tom Cruise at that. That's a whole another category.

That's why I decided to vote for him!

I vote for Giacchino's notable effort, if only because I never heard Elfman's.

To quote St. Stefan of the Hoorn:

NUMBNUTS!

You should have left out Lalo Shifrin--he scored a TV series, in the 60s and 70s, as opposed to block buster movies today, and with Tom Cruise at that. That's a whole another category.

The star of a movie should be irrelevant when judging the quality of the score.

Either way, I voted Elfman. Fairly certain I voted for him the last time we had this poll as well.

I'm going with Elfman's. As someone stated earlier, he pulled off the MI theme the best. It's also a score I guess I never really considered him doing but it fits the film like a glove. I think it's great.

I don't really mind Zimmer's. Again, it fits that film too, albeit over the top and cheesy.

Giacchino's was okay. I'm in that group of people who doesn't think he's the second coming of Christ. There were a few moments here and there but overall, it's just kinda "there".

Loud, you mean? Elfman's score is thrilling, a great tribute to Schifrin, both in it's use of Schifrin's music, and in the great use of the new material, and it does all this without having to get loud (except for the terrific finale, of course).

Loud, you mean? Elfman's score is thrilling, a great tribute to Schifrin, both in it's use of Schifrin's music, and in the great use of the new material, and it does all this without having to get loud (except for the terrific finale, of course).

He used the drum theme in the beggining of the movie. main them with the Main titles. Helicopter chase with a little hint of other Schiffrin theme and another (similar version of not the same) rendition of the main theme.

IMHO that is not a very good homage.

Giacchino used all three Schriffirn themes orchestrated, intertwined with his own themes, subtle and bombastic renditions.

There's more Schifrin material than what you list in Elfman's score. Elfman's theme for the movie includes Schifrin's Plot theme, and that theme is used very often in the movie. It pervades the entire film, and thus has both Elfman and Schifrin throughout the entire film. The main theme is used (I believe) four times in the score, Elfman is preserving it's strength, and only bringing it in for that extra punch. The rest of the time, he keeps the tone close to Schifrin, yet keeps it a 90's score. IMO, it is the very best example of how to score any kind of remake. Keeping the tone and paying homage to the original composer very gracefully, yet still having the new composer make his mark. Giacchino's is a fine score, but nowhere near as subtle or consistantly listenable (all IMO, of course). Of course, Giacchino also had to deal an eminantly forgetable film, and one that was not prone to subtlety (for all it's faults, DePalma's movie did actually engage the mind at some level).

Elfman's score is thrilling, a great tribute to Schifrin, both in it's use of Schifrin's music, and in the great use of the new material, and it does all this without having to get loud (except for the terrific finale, of course).

Exactly. And AzOutcast also expressed my own opinion by saying:

It's also a score I guess I never really considered him doing but it fits the film like a glove.

I have many fond memories of that score, also immediately hearing in the cinema what a great score it is back in 1996, and listen to it to this day on regular basis. :lol:

Who voted for Hans? :lol:

I wouldn't even do that, shows a lot about you.

Probably the two people who voted for Zimmer the last time we did this.

Since you added the poll with the original TV series after I made my post for Elfman I'm going to change it and vote for Lalo Schifrin. Nothing beats the original.

Elfman's is one of my all-time favourite scores.

I like Giacchino a lot, but there isn't a comparison. Also, his limits concerning action scoring kind of shows in M:I III. Most of it just doesn't engage. The rest is very good though (esp. the heist sequence).