Your favorite...SPIDER track!

BLUMENKOHL

I'll have to post a picture of the bird spider that I saw at the Dallas Aquarium.

I think they are only native to South America, but basically looks like a big tarantula.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm suprised no one besides Marian has mentioned any cues from Arachnophobia.

Or are you like me and don't have that score? :D

I nearly picked it up in a sale years ago. Every once in a while I regret I didn't.

Tarantulas and bird eating spiders are scary,but not the most scary looking spiders. That clock spider is pretty scary looking because of the long legs . The big black shiny ones or some that have sort of translucent grey bodies are the scariest

Here's the funnelweb spider,that can kill you

sydney_funnel_web_spider.jpg

Long legs creep me out the most too, which is why the thought of that clock spider bothers me a lot more than the more compact ones on this page. Not that I'd like to meet any of them face to face.

Ray Barnsbury - who appreciated Richuk's puppy pic!

Yes, that's me too. There's something about their legs that scares the crap out of me. I think that's also why I can't touch daddy-long-legs (I have to get a large ball of loo roll to dispose of one of them).

I think if I found myself in a room alone with anything in this thread, I would look for something very heavy to throw down on it, and then get the hell out of there.

Anyone remember this that was in the Tate Modern in London? (it looks just fake enough for me to look at it and I chose one with a dark b/g for the benefit of fellow arachnophobes :))

Couldn't go anywhere near that damn thing when I went.

turbinermspider-thumb.jpg

Had to move slightly away from the screen while googling for that one.

Anyone remember this that was in the Tate Modern in London? (it looks just fake enough for me to look at it and I chose one with a dark b/g for the benefit of fellow arachnophobes :blink:)

Couldn't go anywhere near that damn thing when I went.

turbinermspider-thumb.jpg

Had to move slightly away from the screen while googling for that one.

Flipping eck - being next to that thing would bring out a primordial fear in people from when our distant ancestors were eaten by giant spiders.

Yes, that's me too. There's something about their legs that scares the crap out of me. I think that's also why I can't touch daddy-long-legs (I have to get a large ball of loo roll to dispose of one of them).

Yes,but Daddy long legs are also flimsy looking ,so it cancels out the longer legs fear factor for me.

I don't like daddy-long-legs either, again with those damn spindly legs. It might have to do with the fact that they would fall out of the trees above our swingset when I was a kid. :blink:

I would rather meet a spider the size of a skyscraper than a spider the size of a grown adult human (or maybe a bit bigger). It seems like it would be easier to run from a giant one, because if you hide, it would just go for somebody else. A second one would be more likely to pick a human to eat, and follow it. Plus it would be too close if it were the second one.

(I have to get a large ball of loo roll to dispose of one of them).

Loo roll? Is that what you limeys call toilet paper? :blink:

This thread rembembers me when i was 3 or 4, and one day i went in the surrounds of my house, finding things and getting them into a plastic bag...one platic indian, some wood, etc... and i left it in the backyard of my house all the night.

The next morning (it had rained in the night) i returned to the bag to watch my treasury. Without looking into it i started to get things out of it. But damn i didnt foung the plastic indian...so i look into the bag, and well i saw this amazing thing that i remember if i was still there (and i was just 3-4 old). Inside there was a 'Wolf spider' (biggest spider in europe) mother with its pack of little 'cubs'

More or less this:

1192736829.jpg

I dont remember panicking (the innocence of childhood maybe)...I just thought 'eeeek', went slowly into my house and told my mother about it so she could dispose the bag out of the house. I think she did not find the spider when she got the bag... I think i did not look after 'tresaures' for some time though :cool:

Two or three years ago, i was told that these are tarantulas (scientific name: Lycosa tatantula)... I thought all were in south america...

Thank god they seem to be non agressive for human and the bite not very poisonous. I did really got my hand into the bag several times, and moved the content to search...

Anyone remember this that was in the Tate Modern in London? (it looks just fake enough for me to look at it and I chose one with a dark b/g for the benefit of fellow arachnophobes ;))

Yep, I've been to London in the beginning of January (for the LSO film music concert) and this thing was set outside, in front of the entrance to the gallery. Somehow, I've managed to muster enough courage to photograph it, but that was about it. :P Hell, the damn thing could've come alive for all I know! :cool:

Not being a fan of spiders..I must say those are some very...educational pictures :cool:

But with regards to spider-related music, the bits of Setting the Trap from Home Alone, where Buzz's pet tarantula crawls past the camera, are kinda neat, although that cue isn't in the same tone as the others mentioned already. Still, the first one that came to mind for me was also the tarantula scene in In The Idol's Temple.

Thank god they seem to be non agressive for human and the bite not very poisonous. I did really got my hand into the bag several times, and moved the content to search...

Uhh, that would be freaky!

The scariest part in the Indiana Jones Trilogy, for me, is when Willie has to stick her hand into that thing to pull the lever to stop the spikes from crushing Indy and Short Round.

The scariest part in the Indiana Jones Trilogy, for me, is when Willie has to stick her hand into that thing to pull the lever to stop the spikes from crushing Indy and Short Round.

Oh man, I'd have to wrap my hand in something before I'd do that.

But with regards to spider-related music, the bits of Setting the Trap from Home Alone, where Buzz's pet tarantula crawls past the camera, are kinda neat, although that cue isn't in the same tone as the others mentioned already.

Good mention - I hadn't even thought of that cue.

Oh man, I'd have to wrap my hand in something before I'd do that.

Me too, if i had known the spider was there :)

You mean 12 mm....right Luke? :)

not exactly but i may have come with an american species legspan. damn internet...

the ones that are in spain have 3.8 cm (females) of body length. and the legs and you have a pretty big spider for a little kid :lol: . I clearly remember the eyes of the mother looking at me and the babies were dark skinned, so they were big enough already.

possibly the spider was as big as my hand...

Size has nothing to do with fear factor.

Black_widow_ant_dorsal_1370.jpg

We have plenty of those babes here in North Carolina...they're about the size of a medium/large coin...and they're quite poisonous...the most poisonous in the world depending on what you read.

One on the side of my house actually, though we leave it alone.

...Indeed. The two images on this page are the only ones in the whole thread I've actually been able to look at. Even from a distance (yeah, I'm pretty bad).

Although blow that one up to the size of a hand and you're never seeing me again...

Size has nothing to do with fear factor.

Black_widow_ant_dorsal_1370.jpg

We have plenty of those babes here in North Carolina...they're about the size of a medium/large coin...and they're quite poisonous...the most poisonous in the world depending on what you read.

One on the side of my house actually, though we leave it alone.

Yes plenty of Black Widows around here as well as Brown Recluse spiders.

Yes plenty of Black Widows around here as well as Brown Recluse spiders.

Oh yeah....we have the brown recluses too. My friend got bit by one back in high school. The site was not a pretty one.

Black widows and recluses are small spiders. A widow is about the size of a quarter. A recluse is a bit bigger but even more deadlier.

In all my years in Texas I have yet to see a tarantula in the wild but I've seen plenty of wolf spiders around here.

Oh yes, Black Widows are second only to rattlesnakes on the West Texas Desert Animals to Avoid list my parents drummed into me at a young age. I've seen one.

we have black widows in europe too. Never seen one though.

Neither did I, and may it stay that way. :cool: Though I think we've already had several bites in Slovenia so far, once, somebody was bitten from beneath the toilet seat ... :P

somebody was bitten from beneath the toilet seat ... :P

That is a minor ongoing fear of mine - well spiders (*shudder*) popping out from anywhere is enough, but bitten from below... doesn't bear thinking about.