'Indy 4' Recording Sessions are Over

Josh500

Wow, I find this statement incredibly exciting.

That means John Williams has already written all the cues (the quieter ones and the bombastic ones)--almost 2 hours of music--orchestrated them, and made the orchestra play them! All I can say is WOW. I know it's the same thing every time, but . . . hey, come on! A new INDIANA JONES score!

I wonder whether Ken Wannberg will be on board again. I'm sure Spielberg and Lucas were present, as was Murphy. And who knows, maybe even Harrison Ford himself!

:)

P.S. Before someone points out again that we already HAVE an Indy Thread, I just thought this occasion called for a NEW Indy thread!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess it is about time. So when soundtrack.net going to post the sample clips??

Well I guess it is about time. So when soundtrack.net going to post the sample clips??

YESSSSS!!!!!

But wasn't that like only 2 weeks or so before the soundtrack's release???

Yeah, which is like 2 months away from now, which I can wait. Looking forward to hearing it.

Well, I don't know about that. Obviously the other three films (perhaps Temple less so) had edits done after the score had been recorded. Various cues are lengthier on album than the film, or are awkwardly tracked in the films (notably 'No Ticket', 'Miracle of the Ark', and 'The Portuguese Coast'), indicating changes were made down the track before release.

Oh, and the film can't exactly have been locked 'months ago' if they filmed a new shot or two less than a week ago; I wonder if they spliced that in fast enough for Johnny to score. Establishing shots ALWAYS have music overlayed in these films (usually an establishment of a theme or motif).

They filmed a new shot? Didn't hear anything about that.

I remember though there was a joke in the Return of the King DVD where they took a photo holding up a piece of cardboard saying 'IT'S LOCKED!!!' and 'for now' written underneath in tiny letters. I don't really believe anything is ever truly locked.

1) You are right, Josh. This more than deserves its own thread. I often think the presence of the "official" thread limits the amount of discussion about the film and score, keeping it on one line rather than multiple ones. Hopefully this one sprouts.

2) I'm sure "the picture is locked" is just the term producers use to explain to the news media that the movie is shot and mostly put together. I'm sure there will be editing done right down to the wire. Visual effects and sound design still have a long way to go, I bet, at least in terms of tweaking, and the score still needs to be mixed. The film is really anything but locked at this point.

Plus, when it comes to score, Spielberg has been known to cut images to music once he hears the rhythm of the scene that John Williams constructs with his music. Instances like E.T. -- in which the scene was massively re-edited to accommodate the score -- are probably rare, but I bet Spielberg does some little tweakings around the music from time to time.

Ted

One question remains

In the original Indy movies the music was nice and loud.A mix where you could hear every note in theater,not just on the c.d.

Will this be the case?Or will it have a SW prequel,Harry Potter POA barely audible soundmix to favor the sound effects?

Spielberg's got some projects lined up. I'm really interested in what happens with the Tintin project. Will Williams be on board for all three films, including the Jackson directed one? That would certainly be interesting. That's a few years down the road, though. I think Spielberg is itching to get back into the director's chair, so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes ahead with a smaller drama for the end of the year, despite the hold-up over The Chicago 7. I don't think Williams is done, and may just yet return for the last Potter film, depending on the director. That would be a first for him, if he did: continuing a franchise he either left or was never apart of. Should be interesting.

Ted

I think Williams is done in Hollywood unless it's a Spielberg film or something comes along that really appeals to him.

I say the man deserves to walk off into the sunset. He's done enough.

I'm so excited I wet myself.

Make sure you wash up before tonight, then.

John- wondering if the official Indy site will have anything to tease us with in the coming days

I had a buddy who looked over the score at the printers, he said it looked great. seemed to be in the style of the previous films!

Go JW - amazing work for a senior citizen.

I think Williams is done in Hollywood unless it's a Spielberg film or something comes along that really appeals to him.

I agree. It's about time the man finally shut his trap.

I'm hoping for Deathly Hallows

So am I, but I think I would be alright with Williams retiring (or only doing Spielberg movies).

As far as we know, he has no intention of retiring completely any time soon. He's obviously taking it easy these days, which he's more than earned, but he always says how much he loves writing music and scoring films. So I doubt he'll stop composing film music, at least as long as Spielberg's still making movies.

Plus, when it comes to score, Spielberg has been known to cut images to music once he hears the rhythm of the scene that John Williams constructs with his music. Instances like E.T. -- in which the scene was massively re-edited to accommodate the score -- are probably rare, but I bet Spielberg does some little tweakings around the music from time to time.

Hmmm, interesting. You might be right there. I bet that's why Michael Kahn is (almost) always present at the scoring sessions, grinning from ear to ear and wearing his trademark gimme cap.

:blink:

One question remains

In the original Indy movies the music was nice and loud.A mix where you could hear every note in theater,not just on the c.d.

Will this be the case?Or will it have a SW prequel,Harry Potter POA barely audible soundmix to favor the sound effects?

Those other movies weren't directed by Spielberg, were they? That should answer your question.

I gotta be honest, I hate statements/attitude like this. Even if it's meant well, this somehow implies (subtly) that JW is not welcome in the movie business anymore. It's like saying to your grandpa who is still pretty much bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, "No Gramps, this is for your best. You've done enough around the house. Now it's time to move into a retirement complex. It's for you best, trust us." It's patronizing is what it is, and I know that when I am 70 or 80 and still feeling more or less fine, I don't want to be treated/looked upon this way.

I say "Let the man do what he does best for as long as he wants to!" No "Walk off into the sunset" crap. He's not Indiana Jones, after all, he's just scoring him.

I gotta be honest, I hate statements/attitude like this. Even if it's meant well, this somehow implies (subtly) that JW is not welcome in the movie business anymore. It's like saying to your grandpa who is still pretty much bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, "No Gramps, this is for your best. You've done enough around the house. Now it's time to move into a retirement complex. It's for you best, trust us." It's patronizing is what it is, and I know that when I am 70 or 80 and still feeling more or less fine, I don't want to be treated/looked upon this way.

I say "Let the man do what he does best for as long as he wants to!" No "Walk off into the sunset" crap. He's not Indiana Jones, after all, he's just scoring him.

Oh, the drama.

I'm sorry, is John Williams your grand-daddy? Or are you just extremely naive? I smell a mixture of both.

The man IS riding off into the sunset. He's in retirement, and does a bit of part timing with Spielberg to keep himself occupied.

What's the official IJ4 soundtrack release date? :cool:

there won't be one released, at least not officially, as a cost saving measure Paramount has officially said there would be no actual soundtrack, but they will be releasing a cd of the songs of the period from the film. It might have a JW track or two

As a matter of fact, he is!

That's nice.

But I have a feeling you haven't quite realized yet what it means to be a grand daddy, a daddy, or even a husband, and I don't think you quite realize what it takes to do what he does best, and how he got to be the best. You're not seeing the relationship of those things to what Mark was trying to say.

Meh, it's kind of absurd for any of us to presume we know what Williams feels he deserves or is entitled to, whether it's retirement or 20 more years of active scoring.

I just want him to keep on composing music .Who are we to presume he should stop writing film scores to spend more time with his grand children or travel or whatever.

So he hasn't scored anything but Spielberg/Lucas films in the last 4 years...because....he feels...like...20 years more of active...scoring?

Making presumptions is better than making illogical assumptions.

So he hasn't scored anything but Spielberg/Lucas films in the last 4 years...because....he feels...like...20 years more of active...scoring?

That would be the polar opposite of complete retirement, both of which are "illogical assumptions" at this point,

And just to clear it up, he's actually scored two non-Spielberg/Lucas films in the last four years, along with having written some new NBC news and football music, and the Duo Concertante. He's obviously slowing down, but I wouldn't say he's retired.

He could have retired 20 years ago,so he probably doesn't like sitting around

I think he'll stop composing when he feels it's too big an effort for him,mentally or physically,

Meh, it's kind of absurd for any of us to presume we know what Williams feels he deserves or is entitled to, whether it's retirement or 20 more years of active scoring.

I agree. I hope he does whatever he wants (though I would obviously prefer that to be scoring films).

I must thank Blumenkohl for being the only one who understood the point I was trying to make.

I never said the man wouldn't continue to write music but it's becoming sorta obvious that he's only going to score for Spielberg or something that really interests him,which is what I was referring to.

So if the man chooses to"retire"from Hollywood then he deserves to because he has a long and distinguished career.

I have enough Williams music to last the rest of my life.

Exactly.

I remember all his interviews where he mentioned how much of a shame it is that his profession is such a lonely one. How he spent more time with a piano in a day than he did with his family in a month.

Part of the reason he left the Pops was because it was such a time consuming job.

The man has sacrificed a lot, and brought us more than we could ask for of any single person.

Of course you never completely retire from something you love, but let's face it, he's come to the decision that now's the time for him to enjoy all the things in life his profession did not allow him to enjoy.

well once John dies, he will stop composing, and start decomposing.

then his last cd before he dies will all go blank, thankfully it will be awhile before he decomposes enough for ET and Jaws to disappear