Mail replies from the Maestro

ASW

I recall reading in a thread here a while ago that some fans who wrote letters to JW received personalized responses. I wrote to him last summer and the reply I got some months later included a signed photo, and the standard "Conversation with John Williams" that I believe most people get...with the exception of the answer to one of around 10 questions I had asked added onto the Conversation. Next to that answer was a sticky note from his assistant, Diane I think her name was, that said that I wasn't the first to ask and that my letter apparently prompted her to add that question and its answer to the "Conversation" (I asked why he always wears that black turtleneck :blink: ). But anyway that was as personalized as it got... but is the Conversation usually what most people get? or has anyone here ever gotten a personalized response? Being new around here I was just curious how other fans' experience differed from my own.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the signed photo and the typed up Q&A. It was still very exciting.

And welcome to the board!

thanks!! :P

They answered the turtleneck question? Could you type the letter and note here?

The question as it appears on the Conversation, slightly reworded from my own, is "In photos from recordign sessions you are nearly always wearing a black turtleneck. Why?"

The answer below was (I almost regret finding out...it takes some of the mystery away! lol) "Conducting is rigorous work. Black doesn't show perspiration."

The sticky note has an arrow pointing to the question and reads "You're not the first to ask, but your letter prompted me to add this question to the "conversation". Diane, assistant"

In 1994 i got a handwritten note from him, thanking me for Schindler's List.

that's not a joke, is it? :cool: Could you elaborate?...cool that it was actually handwritten by him though!

How would I go about sending him him a letter? (address and such)

the address I used was the one for his agency, which I found listed on the "contact" link on the main page of this site

The answer below was (I almost regret finding out...it takes some of the mystery away! lol) "Conducting is rigorous work. Black doesn't show perspiration."

The sticky note has an arrow pointing to the question and reads "You're not the first to ask, but your letter prompted me to add this question to the "conversation". Diane, assistant"

Wow

That video should be essential viewing to everyone here. Its hard to believe that she isn't on this site.

Well, she actually doesn't know that much about JW. When replying to somebody's comment on her video, she said JW scored Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

who is this.."john willimas?"

BriannaAlvarez89 (3 weeks ago)

You're joking right? :) He is a composer and does music for a bunch of movies. Jaws, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Superman, Jurassic Park,Feris Beulers Day Off Gidget... he's done everything.

But she did say "John Williams is made of Awesome! "

that sounds like AI speak. She gets a stamp of approval, and she is very cute, except for the, you know...

Wow

If you're thinking of sending something yourself, you certainly should!... considering the other posts in this thread, it sounds like there's a decent chance you might get something personalized as well....either way it's cool enough to get the signed photo :)

I a personalized response from his assistant a little more than a year ago after writing to his Boston Pops address.

very cool

That video should be essential viewing to everyone here. Its hard to believe that she isn't on this site.

Well, she actually doesn't know that much about JW. When replying to somebody's comment on her video, she said JW scored Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

You're joking right? :) He is a composer and does music for a bunch of movies. Jaws, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Superman, Jurassic Park,Feris Beulers Day Off Gidget... he's done everything.

:lol: great video!.... Although the SW Main Title cue does make an appearance in that film in that hilarious scene with the parking attendants taking Cameron's dad's Ferrari out for a joy ride. It could just be that my memory's a little hazy, but isn't Star Wars mispelled as "Stars Wars" or something like that in the music credits for that film?

that sounds like AI speak. She gets a stamp of approval, and she is very cute, except for the, you know...

except for the what? :D

Wow

If you're thinking of sending something yourself, you certainly should!... considering the other posts in this thread, it sounds like there's a decent chance you might get something personalized as well....either way it's cool enough to get the signed photo :)

I a personalized response from his assistant a little more than a year ago after writing to his Boston Pops address.

very cool

:lol: great video!.... Although the SW Main Title cue does make an appearance in that film in that hilarious scene with the parking attendants taking Cameron's dad's Ferrari out for a joy ride. It could just be that my memory's a little hazy, but isn't Star Wars mispelled as "Stars Wars" or something like that in the music credits for that film?

Hey, someone wrote me on youtube and linked me to this page. Hahaha I know that John Williams did not score Feris Beulers Day Off... but he is credited and whoever commented on my video had no idea who he was so I was pretty much naming most famous movies he was credited for on IMDB. :)

except for the what? :)

The Beauty Marks Dear.

You look lovely.

Haha, real cute. :) A little bit over the top perhaps, but cute. :lol: How many JW soundtracks do you have, Brianna? Been a JW fan for long? And how come you didn't discover JWFan and this board sooner? :)

Welcome to the board, Brianna. Great video. I know exactly how you felt, in a sense, because when I met John Williams in Boston last year, I was practically jumping for joy on the streets of Boston when I walked away!

except for the what? :blink:

What makes ME sad is that she figured out the quoting system on here on the first try...meanwhile I had to do it manually every time until I ffigured out what to click...

Welcome to the board, Brianna. Great video. I know exactly how you felt, in a sense, because when I met John Williams in Boston last year, I was practically jumping for joy on the streets of Boston when I walked away!

I'm thinking of seeing about going backstage or something to meet him and get a picture taken or something after the concert on the 23rd....but I doubt I'll be able to work up the nerve to do so! :blink: ....on that note does anyone know if he does that sort of thing?

...and though I'm also new here...welcome to the board Brianna

It could just be that my memory's a little hazy, but isn't Star Wars mispelled as "Stars Wars" or something like that in the music credits for that film?

Yes, it is credited as "Stars Wars."

Welcome to the board Brianna. Prepare to fall in line and start hating Attack of the Clones and The Patriot though :blink:

She better not, we need more people on our side!

Hey, someone wrote me on youtube and linked me to this page. Hahaha I know that John Williams did not score Feris Beulers Day Off... but he is credited and whoever commented on my video had no idea who he was so I was pretty much naming most famous movies he was credited for on IMDB. :blink:

Oh, okay :(

That is the greatest entrance to this board ever, Brianna! Bravo!

And just a side question...how do you feel about Hans Zimmer?

AI - daRn my freckles! :(

Maglorfin - Unfortunately I don't have many John Williams Soundracks... I'm poor. haha. But actually the real reason is because I haven't seen all the movies that he's scored. :-\ I've been a fan of John Williams since I was reeeeallly young. When I first saw the old Star Wars movies. (but the first soundtrack of his I ever bought was Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone.) I didn't join the fan site before because... I didn't want to join and have people be mad at me for not seeing all of the movie's he's done. There are quite a few on that list, jaws, star wars episodes 1-3, a few indiana jones movies. i know... shame on me. :blink: .... also I really like James Horner. I can't wait to see Spiderwick Chronicles!

BurgaFlippinMan - I actually love the Patriot. :P

odnurega1 - *sooo jealous* I almost got to see him conduct the San Diego Symphony last year.... but the waiting list was three pages long when I called for tickets. ;)

joey 2255 - hahaha I'm good with forums i guess.

Indy4 - I adore Hanz Zimmer. He's way up there.

Maglorfin - Unfortunately I don't have many John Williams Soundracks... I'm poor. haha. But actually the real reason is because I haven't seen all the movies that he's scored. :-\ I've been a fan of John Williams since I was reeeeallly young. When I first saw the old Star Wars movies. (but the first soundtrack of his I ever bought was Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone.) I didn't join the fan site before because... I didn't want to join and have people be mad at me for not seeing all of the movie's he's done. There are quite a few on that list, jaws, star wars episodes 1-3, a few indiana jones movies. i know... shame on me. :blink: .... also I really like James Horner. I can't wait to see Spiderwick Chronicles!

odnurega1 - *sooo jealous* I almost got to see him conduct the San Diego Symphony last year.... but the waiting list was three pages long when I called for tickets. ;)

Either I had one Vodka/Bitter Lemon too many, or you learned to type at MySpace.....

Either way, welcome.

It would be best to NOT profess your love for Horner and Zimmer here...just fyi. That being said...I do like Horner. And on the subject of Spiderwick, I recently found out that the author of the series the movie is based on is actually an alumni of my college!

What's wrong with Horner love? Plenty of people really enjoy him, including me.

Zimmer on the other hand . . .

I didn't join the fan site before because... I didn't want to join and have people be mad at me for not seeing all of the movie's he's done. There are quite a few on that list, jaws, star wars episodes 1-3, a few indiana jones movies. i know... shame on me. :( ....

Hey, don't sweat it, you're still so young, you've got plenty of time! :blink:;) However, do start catching up on this stuff, you'll love it and become an even bigger fan of JW (though you may find it quite difficult to rise to the level of fandom that is sometimes displayed on this board and may sometimes tend towards obsession :P).

1 day on the forum and we're slamming her down with all these questions. I suppose there are 2 factions to this forum, and each one is trying to grab her onto their side.

It's a good thing you like Zimmer though, Brianna. :blink: One who can equally appreciate JW and HZ is the truly enlightened.

odnurega1 - *sooo jealous* I almost got to see him conduct the San Diego Symphony last year.... but the waiting list was three pages long when I called for tickets. :P

too bad about the waiting list...I had a similar experience a few years back when I was in Boston and found out Film Night at Tanglewood was on at the same time. Not surprisingly it was sold out... but I heard it live over the radio! Can't wait for the upcoming one in LA though as I'm going to that one ;)

what do you think of Goldsmith?

Horner, in his prime is fantastic!

agreed...although I haven't heard a lot of his recent output outside of the New World, and the Legend of Zorro but I think he certainly proved his worth from the 80s to mid 90s

1 day on the forum and we're slamming her down with all these questions. I suppose there are 2 factions to this forum, and each one is trying to grab her onto their side.

It's a good thing you like Zimmer though, Brianna. :blink: One who can equally appreciate JW and HZ is the truly enlightened.

Koray, I'm only going to say this once, so please listen.

Stop. Preaching.

No, Jamie became dull after Titanic.

Yes, now that I think of it, nearly all of the Horner I listen to is pre-Titanic

Looks like the new girl got everyone all riled up.

How wouldn't she, she's after all like the third female (active) member of this board after Saxbabe and JWFanGirl92. ;):)