Mail replies from the Maestro

ASW

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because...

It's a good thing you like Zimmer though, Brianna. One who can equally appreciate JW and HZ is the truly enlightened.

That's trolling. Not professing your love for Zimmer.

Lighten up guys. I guarantee if he had said "It's a good thing you like Williams though, ..." no one would have cared, or even remotely considered it "trolling." :)

Lighten up guys. I guarantee if he had said "It's a good thing you like Williams though, ..." no one would have cared, or even remotely considered it "trolling."

...Step back and think about what you just said.

Whoa, active topic!

Maglorfin - Unfortunately I don't have many John Williams Soundracks... I'm poor. haha. But actually the real reason is because I haven't seen all the movies that he's scored.

I used to be like that too--only bought the scores if I'd seen the film. But eventually, I realized there are too many good scores to crappy films to have to sit through the films.

There are quite a few on that list, jaws, star wars episodes 1-3, a few indiana jones movies.

I recomend you see all of those, I love them all (especially the last ones mentioned ;) )

Indy4 - I adore Hanz Zimmer. He's way up there.

Very good, this board needs more Zimmer appreciators.

1 day on the forum and we're slamming her down with all these questions. I suppose there are 2 factions to this forum, and each one is trying to grab her onto their side.

;):blink: Yeah, that's pretty much correct!

Koray, I'm only going to say this once, so please listen.

Stop. Preaching.

Everyone here preaches their love for their favorite composers, why can't I?

I agree. It's pretty ridiculous to say preaching opinions is a bad thing, when you often preach how bad Zimmer is.

Lighten up guys. I guarantee if he had said "It's a good thing you like Williams though, ..." no one would have cared, or even remotely considered it "trolling." :)

Well said. Though this is a JW fanboard ( ;) ) , so I'd replace the Williams with Goldsmith.

The only two people who would say that would either be Steef or I.

And we sure as hell don't care what any of you like to say that with any true meaning. :)

Stop. Preaching.

No one does what you do. No one shoves down our throats that Zimmer is a genius and that we'd all be fools not think it. You've done this with other topics (PS3, illegal downloading). It has nothing to do with personal preference for Zimmer or otherwise, and everything to do with common courtesy.

I don't ram anything down anyone's throats.

With PS3: That was a heated argument between me and you and Jonnyecks. Both of you said the same things as I except in defense of your side.

With Illegal Downloading: All I said was that I love the internet. I didn't turn it into what it became. I hardly posted in that one anyway. Millions of people download music illegally, you know it, I know it. I guarantee you've done it before.

With Zimmer: Most of you would call me a fool for hating David Arnold or Randy Edelman or John Debney. Same principle. Whatever I do, everyone else does the same.

Stop. Preaching.

No one does what you do. No one shoves down our throats that Zimmer is a genius and that we'd all be fools not think it. You've done this with other topics (PS3, illegal downloading). It has nothing to do with personal preference for Zimmer or otherwise, and everything to do with common courtesy.

Red rabbit, if you think that other people here are not as absolute in their opinions as Koray, you really need to open your eyes. It's fine if you don't like that type of attitude, but it should be consistant for ALL members, not just those whose opinions differ from yours. It's very silly.

1) Rabbit, unfortunately, there are a lot of people here who DO indeed shove opinions down throats. From die hard JW Fans to the anti-Zimmer elitists who call Zimmer fans various synonyms of low-brow.

2) Koraya, you were still preaching/trolling.

3) Indy AND Koraya: Just because other people do it doesn't mean you have to. It's a crappy kiddy excuse out of second grade. Grow up.

Honestly let's drop it now, people.

I think I actually preferred reading you guys gawking about the new girl to this.

I stand corrected, but my original statement is still valid. Most people do not preach at the level that Koray does, and K90 suggested that everyone does ("professing love for a composer").

3) Indy AND Koraya: Just because other people do it doesn't mean you have to. It's a crappy kiddy excuse out of second grade. Grow up.

I'm not doing that. Most of my strongly felt opinions have been tagged with an "IMO" thingy. I do not treat them as facts. Find something I wrote which has that sort of feel to it, and I may believe you.

I was merely telling red rabbit off for only being angry when the "preacher's" opinion is not shared by himself.

I stand corrected, but my original statement is still valid. Most people do not preach at the level that Koray does, and K90 suggested that everyone does ("professing love for a composer").

You are kidding, right?

I was merely telling red rabbit off for only being angry when the "preacher's" opinion is not shared by himself.

Here's the thing, I like Zimmer. It has nothing to do with opinions.

Well actually we're seeing a lot of people here in their natural demeanors.

John's the one with class obviously. :)

He and Mark Olivarez. It's rather ironic too, because most people don't equate Texas with level-headedness and class. ;)

The topic for this thread was answered within the first few posts and has served its purpose

I suggest Marc close this thread before it blows up from the testosterone

Well actually we're seeing a lot of people here in their natural demeanors.

John's the one with class obviously. :)

He and Mark Olivarez. It's rather ironic too, because most people don't equate Texas with level-headedness and class. ;)

You're too kind sir. But you obviously haven't met many native Texans. :blink:

Well, I must say that in the past few years I've been reading these boards, I always enjoyed reading the threads like these that diverged from their original topics. Never thought I'd be starting one myself so soon after joining lol.... but the arguments have so far seemed more or less civil, which believe it or not I actually think is a positive quality that permeates this board as a whole, especially in comparison to other boards out there. A digression, to be sure, but certainly a cool discussion.

hahaha no, I just had no idea why you were arguing, so I couldn't contribute. :lol:

Look what you started! :eek2:

I started it, as I invited her. ;)

Nice to see you, Brianna. Welcome to the madness that is jwfan.com.

Yes, welcome...it's always nice to have another young inductee to the ranks of our little community, and a girl at that! I like your enthusiasm; normally with someone your age, "John Williams" would be replaced by "N Sync" in that video (or whatever you kids are listening to these days :lol:). Try not to judge the board by this thread, though.

hahaha no, I just had no idea why you were arguing, so I couldn't contribute. :rolleyes:

If you're feeling like the Helen of Troy, don't. ;) :spiny:

Awkward.

Back to the original intent of this thread for a few minutes here, although I am enjoying the party.

For a few years now, I have made it my hobby to write to various celebrities, writers, politicians etc. I usually write about a one page letter, and then ask them for an autographed photo at the end (shameless, I know!). I send everything in a 9x12 envelope, and by everything I mean : my letter, an index card, another 9x12 envelope envelope with postage on it (so they can send stuff back to me). I had fallen out of the hobby for awhile, but during the Winter holidays, I got bored and started up. Some of my favorite replies: Robin Williams, John Travolta, Bill Cosby, Sherwood Schwartz (creator of "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island"). All in all, I have about 80 total, so those are just a few. I have about 15 that I am awaiting reply for.

Anyway, how does this relate to John Williams? Well, way back in October I stumbled upon an address that, at the time, I did not realize was Mr. Williams' home address. Al least that is what I've read on numerous websites. I was in a kind of weird happy mood the day I decided to write to him, spurred by my anticipation for the new Indy flick. I wrote him a two-page letter telling him I was a fan, had seen him and met him in Boston (now that I think about it...that sounds kind of "stalkerish"), and that I was looking forward to the score for the new film. I've always been kind of innovative, and for a few years, I have been unable to get a Steven Spielberg autograph. So, in my weird mood, I wrote a letter to Spielberg and enclosed it with all my material to John Williams. I wrote a seperate note saying that "since I know you'll be meeting with Spielberg soon, perhaps you can pass this off to him".

I know, it was kind of crazy, and I have yet to recieve anything from either of them, but if I do, wouldn't it be a fun story?

hi , welcome to the forum brianna...

not williams related, but i had the chance to met the yellowjackets band few days ago just some days before my birthday (it was today) and what a day !! i couldn't unfortunatly stay for the concert to watch them as i'm suffering from tinnitus and hyperacusis since ten years now, but meeting the band, russel ferrante, jimmy haslip, bob mintzer, and the brand new drummer, marcus baylor, was a great day for me, as i'm listening to the band since i'm 12 (i'm 34 today).

they all listened to me (in the backstage) speaking about my hearing problem, telling how much i was a fan since so long etc , and they all dedicaced my yellowjackets songbook . it was so nice ...

i don't know if you, guys, soundtrack fan know that band, if not, it's one of the best electric jazz band out there, and i suggest you to listen to their album called "greenhouse" especially to the selftitled song "greenhouse". great string intro, and amazing time signature.

Holy cow, what a party I missed! This thread is the funniest thing I've seen all month. A perfect microcosm of JWFan.

Welcome to the board Brianna. Prepare to fall in line and start hating Attack of the Clones and The Patriot though ;)

She better not, we need more people on our side!

Indeed!

BurgaFlippinMan - I actually love the Patriot. :lol:

;)

Brianna, what does the pen do, that is given to De Niro in Extras?

What does Daniel Radcliffe flick over his head in the cafeteria, in Extras?

Wow. I want signed pictures! :lol:

I have 3 autographs of John Williams. The first one I got was off ebay. It's a signed notecard, mounted on a black piece of cardboard, with a picture of the maestro. The second I got for Christmas one year. It's the program to the original Star Wars film, which Williams signed. The third I got from writing to him. It's just a signed picture. All of these are framed and displayed proudly. ;)

I know I sound like I'm bragging (probably because I am), but I feel this is something worth bragging about! ;)