Mail replies from the Maestro

ASW

I wrote to him back in high school, and months later received an autograph in the mail (no question-and-answer). Coincidentally, I'd just gotten back from a concert of his in Cleveland where my brother and I got autographs from him in person, so it was funny timing.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brianna, what does the pen do, that is given to De Niro in Extras?

What does Daniel Radcliffe flick over his head in the cafeteria, in Extras?

I dont remember what the pen does... but i know radcliffe flicks a condom... and it lands on that lady's head and it's hilarious.... but the pen thing is going to bug me now. What did it do?

Something I would love you to do.

I believe you are the real deal now.

Beautiful Girl.

Brianna, what does the pen do, that is given to De Niro in Extras?

What does Daniel Radcliffe flick over his head in the cafeteria, in Extras?

I dont remember what the pen does... but i know radcliffe flicks a condom... and it lands on that lady's head and it's hilarious.... but the pen thing is going to bug me now. What did it do?

That was a really funny moment. I have a signed JW pic that was sent to me from Boston Symphony Hall a few years ago which I have now mounted on my dart board. I had to take down poor Hans Zimmer off it. He's looking like Leatherface atm. A vast improvement I must say.

It was not my intention to amuse you. Although one place where you'll never get arthritis is in your tongue :P

Maglorfin - Unfortunately I don't have many John Williams Soundracks... I'm poor. haha. But actually the real reason is because I haven't seen all the movies that he's scored. :-\ I've been a fan of John Williams since I was reeeeallly young. When I first saw the old Star Wars movies. (but the first soundtrack of his I ever bought was Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone.) I didn't join the fan site before because... I didn't want to join and have people be mad at me for not seeing all of the movie's he's done. There are quite a few on that list, jaws, star wars episodes 1-3, a few indiana jones movies. i know... shame on me. :P .... also I really like James Horner. I can't wait to see Spiderwick Chronicles!

My complete John Williams collection:

Star Wars (all 6)

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park (#1)

Hook

E. T.

Main Titles from Indiana Jones and Jaws (from iTunes)

Movies scored by John Williams I have seen:

Star Wars (all 6)

Jurassic Park (#1)

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Part of Hook

I think that is pretty much it.

Hopefully that makes you feel better.

What really is much more important is the Beauty and the Beast soundtrack. :cool:

Colin Thomson

Talk about off-topic threads.

If I'd've come in on the last page this thing would have been closed for sure.

Now though, I say let the ramblings ensue.

And lay off the girl, AI.

I suppose I should write Williams one of these days, before it's too late.

I'm still trying to figure out page 2, whaaaa happened????

Hi there-

my uncle, Clint Roemer was a music copyist, and wrote a book called the Art of Music Copying. He knew John when he was Johnny Williams. I wrote him a letter, and let him know I was a fan, told him of my uncle's passing and he sent me an autographed photo. I wrote him at his agents address.

Back to the original intent of this thread for a few minutes here, although I am enjoying the party.

For a few years now, I have made it my hobby to write to various celebrities, writers, politicians etc. I usually write about a one page letter, and then ask them for an autographed photo at the end (shameless, I know!). I send everything in a 9x12 envelope, and by everything I mean : my letter, an index card, another 9x12 envelope envelope with postage on it (so they can send stuff back to me). I had fallen out of the hobby for awhile, but during the Winter holidays, I got bored and started up. Some of my favorite replies: Robin Williams, John Travolta, Bill Cosby, Sherwood Schwartz (creator of "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island"). All in all, I have about 80 total, so those are just a few. I have about 15 that I am awaiting reply for.

Anyway, how does this relate to John Williams? Well, way back in October I stumbled upon an address that, at the time, I did not realize was Mr. Williams' home address. Al least that is what I've read on numerous websites. I was in a kind of weird happy mood the day I decided to write to him, spurred by my anticipation for the new Indy flick. I wrote him a two-page letter telling him I was a fan, had seen him and met him in Boston (now that I think about it...that sounds kind of "stalkerish"), and that I was looking forward to the score for the new film. I've always been kind of innovative, and for a few years, I have been unable to get a Steven Spielberg autograph. So, in my weird mood, I wrote a letter to Spielberg and enclosed it with all my material to John Williams. I wrote a seperate note saying that "since I know you'll be meeting with Spielberg soon, perhaps you can pass this off to him".

I know, it was kind of crazy, and I have yet to recieve anything from either of them, but if I do, wouldn't it be a fun story?

Well actually we're seeing a lot of people here in their natural demeanors.

John's the one with class obviously. :mellow:

He and Mark Olivarez. It's rather ironic too, because most people don't equate Texas with level-headedness and class. ;)

You're too kind sir. But you obviously haven't met many native Texans. ;)

Yes he hasn't met us in person, has he John? ;)

He may change his mind.

Star Wars (all 6)

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park (#1)

Hook

E. T.

Last I counted, I had 44 JW soundtracks (plus two compilations).

You should get a ton more JW scores, particularly the Indy scores, Home Alone, Catch Me If You Can. . . .

Well actually we're seeing a lot of people here in their natural demeanors.

John's the one with class obviously. ;)

He and Mark Olivarez. It's rather ironic too, because most people don't equate Texas with level-headedness and class. ;)

You're too kind sir. But you obviously haven't met many native Texans. ;)

Yes he hasn't met us in person, has he John? ;)

He may change his mind.

:mellow:

Too true.

hi , welcome to the forum brianna...

not williams related, but i had the chance to met the yellowjackets band few days ago just some days before my birthday (it was today) and what a day !! i couldn't unfortunatly stay for the concert to watch them as i'm suffering from tinnitus and hyperacusis since ten years now, but meeting the band, russel ferrante, jimmy haslip, bob mintzer, and the brand new drummer, marcus baylor, was a great day for me, as i'm listening to the band since i'm 12 (i'm 34 today).

they all listened to me (in the backstage) speaking about my hearing problem, telling how much i was a fan since so long etc , and they all dedicaced my yellowjackets songbook . it was so nice ...

i don't know if you, guys, soundtrack fan know that band, if not, it's one of the best electric jazz band out there, and i suggest you to listen to their album called "greenhouse" especially to the selftitled song "greenhouse". great string intro, and amazing time signature.

They did a few tracks in Star Trek IV, didn't they?

hi , welcome to the forum brianna...

not williams related, but i had the chance to met the yellowjackets band few days ago just some days before my birthday (it was today) and what a day !! i couldn't unfortunatly stay for the concert to watch them as i'm suffering from tinnitus and hyperacusis since ten years now, but meeting the band, russel ferrante, jimmy haslip, bob mintzer, and the brand new drummer, marcus baylor, was a great day for me, as i'm listening to the band since i'm 12 (i'm 34 today).

they all listened to me (in the backstage) speaking about my hearing problem, telling how much i was a fan since so long etc , and they all dedicaced my yellowjackets songbook . it was so nice ...

i don't know if you, guys, soundtrack fan know that band, if not, it's one of the best electric jazz band out there, and i suggest you to listen to their album called "greenhouse" especially to the selftitled song "greenhouse". great string intro, and amazing time signature.

They did a few tracks in Star Trek IV, didn't they?

absolutly right !! it's the only track i don't have by them by the way :lol:

Back to the original intent of this thread for a few minutes here, although I am enjoying the party.

For a few years now, I have made it my hobby to write to various celebrities, writers, politicians etc. I usually write about a one page letter, and then ask them for an autographed photo at the end (shameless, I know!). I send everything in a 9x12 envelope, and by everything I mean : my letter, an index card, another 9x12 envelope envelope with postage on it (so they can send stuff back to me). I had fallen out of the hobby for awhile, but during the Winter holidays, I got bored and started up. Some of my favorite replies: Robin Williams, John Travolta, Bill Cosby, Sherwood Schwartz (creator of "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island"). All in all, I have about 80 total, so those are just a few. I have about 15 that I am awaiting reply for.

Anyway, how does this relate to John Williams? Well, way back in October I stumbled upon an address that, at the time, I did not realize was Mr. Williams' home address. Al least that is what I've read on numerous websites. I was in a kind of weird happy mood the day I decided to write to him, spurred by my anticipation for the new Indy flick. I wrote him a two-page letter telling him I was a fan, had seen him and met him in Boston (now that I think about it...that sounds kind of "stalkerish"), and that I was looking forward to the score for the new film. I've always been kind of innovative, and for a few years, I have been unable to get a Steven Spielberg autograph. So, in my weird mood, I wrote a letter to Spielberg and enclosed it with all my material to John Williams. I wrote a seperate note saying that "since I know you'll be meeting with Spielberg soon, perhaps you can pass this off to him".

I know, it was kind of crazy, and I have yet to recieve anything from either of them, but if I do, wouldn't it be a fun story?

Wow his home address eh?...hope you get a reply soon! and thanks for trying to salvage the thread lol...although I too am enjoying reading the other stuff

I wrote to him back in high school, and months later received an autograph in the mail (no question-and-answer). Coincidentally, I'd just gotten back from a concert of his in Cleveland where my brother and I got autographs from him in person, so it was funny timing.

how does one go about doing that?...do you have to arrange a meeting? or just hang around backstage after a concert?

Star Wars (all 6)

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park (#1)

Hook

E. T.

Last I counted, I had 44 JW soundtracks (plus two compilations).

You should get a ton more JW scores, particularly the Indy scores, Home Alone, Catch Me If You Can. . . .

Of course I want all of them. Who wouldn't? I am trying to slowly build my film music collection, as my funds cannot really support anything more than a slow build. Oh, and Indy is amazing. But it is out of print, and so very expensive. I was very tempted to at one point, even with the unreasonable price. But that was right after having seen Raiders, and I only barely held my sanity long enough to convince myself that it was too much money, and that a better price would come around if I waited. Which is what I am doing...

Colin Thomson

Of course I want all of them. Who wouldn't? I am trying to slowly build my film music collection, as my funds cannot really support anything more than a slow build. Oh, and Indy is amazing. But it is out of print, and so very expensive. I was very tempted to at one point, even with the unreasonable price. But that was right after having seen Raiders, and I only barely held my sanity long enough to convince myself that it was too much money, and that a better price would come around if I waited. Which is what I am doing...

Colin Thomson

Yeah, I can understand that. My collection is pitiful compared to most others here *cough* Goldsmith Fanatic and Koray *cough*, so I have also been trying to build it up gradually. But just so you know, The Last Crusade is still in print and can be very cheap (and it is my personal favorite score out of the trilogy).

I gave up on the Indy scores when I heard they were making a fourth installment.

- Koray, who is still hoping for that box set.

Ah, that would be great. But I would only be interested if there's unreleased material (or REALLY great liner notes, eg a 160 page hard cover book), as I own all of the scores. At this point, I can't really see why they wouldn't do it. It seems like the perfect gimmick to earn both money and fan appreciation. I guess my biggest fear is that they'll just rerelease the OSTs, with not new music.

I'll be crossing my fingers for some new stickers, though!

how does one go about doing that?...do you have to arrange a meeting? or just hang around backstage after a concert?

We arrived a few hours early for parking and to just hang out on the lawn at Blossom, and Williams happened to be rehearsing with the orchestra. We went down to get a closer look, where there were already a few people waiting in the seats. After a bit, the rehearsal ended and Williams came to the edge of the stage to sign autographs. So it was a pretty random, lucky occurrence!

We arrived a few hours early for parking and to just hang out on the lawn at Blossom, and Williams happened to be rehearsing with the orchestra. We went down to get a closer look, where there were already a few people waiting in the seats. After a bit, the rehearsal ended and Williams came to the edge of the stage to sign autographs. So it was a pretty random, lucky occurrence!

Wow! That's really cool! I might try that at the concert on the 23rd.. but I really don't know how I'll be able to work up the nerve to do it! :lol:

:lol::P;) ;) That would be AWESOME!!!! I wonder if JW does that for his performances at the Hollywood Bowl, too...

Here's a pic to go along with the story (exported as a still from my dad's video of the event back in 2002, so it's not the greatest quality):

jw.gif

I went to grab my marker back that he had signed with, and he mistook the gesture and shook my hand. ROTFLMAO

haha that's a great picture...I definitely have to try that. Interesting that he's not in the turtleneck!

People more familiar with Symphony Hall could tell you more specifically where the good autograph locations are, but the few of us JWFanners who went in 2004 were able to meet him briefly on a side street where he was entering. We also tried afterwards, at a side door inside...no autographs that time, but he was very gracious and appreciative of our interest. In any case, good luck with your attempts!

Ray is a good cat! He has told the story about the handshaking many times before, but I always find it endearing.

As for you, B, I love your hair, I love your dimples. Nice to see you posting again, I missed the posts of the B.

Ray is a good cat! He has told the story about the handshaking many times before, but I always find it endearing.

As for you, B, I love your hair, I love your dimples. Nice to see you posting again, I missed the posts of the B.

Am I the only one that finds the whole "AI/Brianna" thing slightly awkward?

I motion for a ban of the AI.

I second that motion. Not just because members of the board are uncomfortable, but because Brianna herself is uncomfortable and I do not think any member of the board should be subjected to this sort of disgusting and uncalled for behavior. Brianna, please keep in mind that other board members are not like this, and this is not how this board usually operates. So, I second that motion.