Hulk

Star Wars composer John Williams told the Australian music magazine Capitol that he's in talks to score Ang Lee's upcoming Hulk movie, based on the Marvel Comics series, the Coming Attractions Web site reported. "I have had some talks with Universal executives about doing the Hulk movie, starting next year," Williams told the magazine.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, I've never heard before that Williams was in talks to score Hulk. Definitely it would've been an interesting effort, and undoubtedly better than what Elfman's done (for me it's one of his soundtracks that I like less).

Elfman's score is actually pretty good.

Agreed, it's one of his more interesting efforts with some great cues. I don't know why there's all the negativity around it though.

it was such a horrible movie, Im glad he didn't touch that piece of ****

Williams would have wasted a score on this

Well, we'll never know, will we? :)

it sure would not have looked good on his resume

I've see the first minute of the movie and I'm glad as well that he didn't.

its quite a mess. hell it not only got clobbered by the critics, it got clobbered by Harry Potter(the book), and word of mouth was atrocious, yet some out there see it as "artsy".

I never saw it, but the idea of JW scoring any fantasy/sci-fi film sounds very good. A film doesn't have to be good to have a good score--Cutthroat Island and 1941 are one of the many examples of that.

I'm the only person I know who does, but . . . I like that movie. A lot, actually. And while I've been sort of blase about most of Elfman's work over the past decade, I think he did a fine job on that one.

Still, I'd love to hear Williams do just about anything, and I think the psychological elements present in the movie might have inspired something special from him.

However, he seems to have missed the Ang Lee boat, unlike one Gustavo Santoalalla, the a-hole.

It is not Gustavo's fault that he won 2 Oscars.

I don't care whose fault it is. The dude is an a-hole for having accepted them. And, by God, if nobody else will do it, I'm calling him out for it!

But lest ye think I'm being unreasonable, I don't expect anything that I wouldn't expect of myself. If, for example, somebody had given me an Oscar for writing the "music" to Brokeback Mountain, I'd have gone up on stage, said, "Hey, thanks, but I suck and don't even vaguely deserve this. Seriously, guys, it's like Moroder in '78 all over again, ya doofuses! Let's hear it for John Williams, or whoever else is nominated besides me!", personally walked my Oscar out and given it to Williams, and then exited the auditorium.

If somebody had made the same mistake the next year, I'd have laughed, wagged my finger at them with a mocking frown on my face as if to say "Good one, Oscar, you almost had me going for a second there!", sat there chuckling until it became awkward, run up on stage AGAIN, and said "No, seriously, guys, I f---ing suck! Why did you give me another one of these? Jesus, that music you just played wasn't even written for Babel, ya idjits! Let's hear it for the Pan's Labyrinth guy!", run out into crowd, etc.

I merely ask that if you suck, you have the good grace to not pretend that you rule. And if other people insist that you do rule, you have to be stout enough to correct them, even if -- especially if -- they mean it. Cause then, because you admitted -- insisted -- that you suck, you've got a shot at not sucking someday.

Don't tell me not to hate on Gustavo. That's like telling kittens to not be cute: not gonna happen.

A pity, you showed promise.....

I'm not sure what you meant by that, but, continuing to be venomous, I'm going to choose to take it as an insult and proceed to roll my eyes at you.

And to re-emphasize:

It is a shame that Gustavo Santoalalla won his first Oscar; it is a crime against the arts that he won his second consecutively. It's hardly the first egregious Oscaring in Oscar history, but it's the most recent, and I'm holding on to it with hateful arms.

Good, and now you must hand back to Hitch what is rightfully his... his copyrighted image.

:)

Only if he asks me nicely. And gives me bootleg CDs of the scores to Frenzy and Family Plot.

I'm the only person I know who does, but . . . I like that movie. A lot, actually. And while I've been sort of blase about most of Elfman's work over the past decade, I think he did a fine job on that one.

Still, I'd love to hear Williams do just about anything, and I think the psychological elements present in the movie might have inspired something special from him.

I agree with you.

Interesting, I've never heard before that Williams was in talks to score Hulk. Definitely it would've been an interesting effort, and undoubtedly better than what Elfman's done (for me it's one of his soundtracks that I like less).

It was a replacement score, wasn't it? I think he had to rush that one quite a bit.

I agree with the improved Hitch, too. The movie was terribly flawed, true, but it had something going on.

Im... proved?

Shall we agree on "more articulate"?

I thought Lee's ambitions got the better of him on this film. He tried to make art out of comic books much the way he succeeded in doing so with Crouching Tiger. I loved his editing style in the film and Elfman's music was perfect. The pacing is a little off and I do not care for Jennifer (cries all of the time) Connelly. I also think Bana was the wrong choice for the Banner role. He's too big and just not convincing as a high brow intellectual. I think Edward Norton will be better.

I really liked the desert tank battle and found some of the CGI utterly fantastic. The scene where the Hulk is running toward the tank looks amazing.

I still like the film despite the fact it's not perfect. It most certainly is not a piece of s**t though.

It replaced Mychael Danna I believe

Some of Danna's music was left in the film I believe, plus Elfman somewhat stayed close to a few of Danna's ideas for the score as well.

I thought Lee's ambitions got the better of him on this film. He tried to make art out of comic books much the way he succeeded in doing so with Crouching Tiger. I loved his editing style in the film and Elfman's music was perfect. The pacing is a little off and I do not care for Jennifer (cries all of the time) Connelly. I also think Bana was the wrong choice for the Banner role. He's too big and just not convincing as a high brow intellectual. I think Edward Norton will be better.

I really liked the desert tank battle and found some of the CGI utterly fantastic. The scene where the Hulk is running toward the tank looks amazing.

I still like the film despite the fact it's not perfect. It most certainly is not a piece of s**t though.

No, it's definitely not perfect. The Hulk-dogs are irredeemably silly, and the father/son fight at the end gets way too muddled to serve as a good climax, but there's just too much to like for the movie to be entirely dismissable.

Sure, it's a little too insistent in its attempts to use editing tricks to convey a comic-book sensibility; and some of the psychological stuff might have been, um, ill-advised for a would-be summer blockbuster. But I'll always take an overambitious movie over a lazy movie (X-Men 3, which I still at least sorta liked) or an inept one (Rise of the Silver Surfer, surely one of the worst movies ever made with a real budget).

Regardless of what I think, though, it's one of the all-time word-of-mouth failures. It had a large opening ($62 mil), but dropped a whopping 69% from weekend one to weekend two. That pretty much only ever happens if people run out of the movie screaming in disgust and then proceed to tell everyone they know that they should under NO circumstances ever see that terrible, terrible movie. How Rise of the Silver Surfer avoided a similar fate, I will never know.

I just can't read anything you post, Drax. Morena Baccarin is too hot.

Indeed!

vlcsnap994937ai8.png

vlcsnap884172un3.png

She was at Dragon*Con in Atlanta a few years ago, and my goodness, how gorgeous she is. She was walking around the lobby of the Marriott, wearing a t-shirt, cowboy hat, skirt, and cowboy boots. Now, it's a known fact that any attractive woman automatically becomes twelve times more attractive if she is wearing a skirt; if it's in tandem with cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, the math is simply too high to tabulate. So when she wandered over to me and asked me if I knew the quickest way to get to the Hyatt (which is right across the street -- the con takes up three hotels and counting), imagine the odds against me finding anything even remotely intelligent to say.

Somehow I managed. "Actually," says I, pointing, "if you go up that escalator and go out the doors in front of you, it's right across the street." She thanked me and was about her business. Meanwhile, I went downstairs and bought a bootleg copy of the score to The Sugarland Express.

HAH! You thought there was no John Williams connection, but there WAS, baby, there WAS!

I still think Hulk is by far the best marvel movie adaptation.

wow that takes guts to admit, I will respect you for it cause I don't like picking on "challanged" people.

In the last 10 years, there were only two superhero movies which I thought were truly worth watching, and it was Hulk and Batman Begins. Hulk may have failed in some areas, but there is a lot to be admired. You only have to watch 15 minutes of it to know it's not your run of the mill comic book movie. It's one of the few blockbusters in recent years that actually tried to do something new and took some chances.

She was at Dragon*Con in Atlanta a few years ago, and my goodness, how gorgeous she is. She was walking around the lobby of the Marriott, wearing a t-shirt, cowboy hat, skirt, and cowboy boots. Now, it's a known fact that any attractive woman automatically becomes twelve times more attractive if she is wearing a skirt; if it's in tandem with cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, the math is simply too high to tabulate. So when she wandered over to me and asked me if I knew the quickest way to get to the Hyatt (which is right across the street -- the con takes up three hotels and counting), imagine the odds against me finding anything even remotely intelligent to say.

Wow! Must have been as though you were approached by absolute divinity itself.

I'm glad Williams passed. It was a subpar movie filled with horrible graphics. And I hated the "comic book" persective. There's my two cents. ;)

In the last 10 years, there were only two superhero movies which I thought were truly worth watching, and it was Hulk and Batman Begins. Hulk may have failed in some areas, but there is a lot to be admired. You only have to watch 15 minutes of it to know it's not your run of the mill comic book movie. It's one of the few blockbusters in recent years that actually tried to do something new and took some chances.

Couldn't agree more. I would rather a film take chances rather than playing it safe and being predicatable and boring as whale crap. Hulk did have problems but it remains a unique adaptation. I'm sure The Hulk (2008) will be more run-of-the-mill action fare which is fine for the brain-dead masses of lemmings that want their entertainment as digestable as pablum.

I think A.I. was also a bold venture for Spielberg and likewise, it does not succeed in all places but when it's firing on all cylinders, it's some of the best cinema I've ever seen. I do wish they would have ended the film with David at the bottom of the ocean praying to the Blue Fairy. It would have been more consistent with the narrative. I know Kubrick would have left him down there. And I think Williams wanted to as well since his music has a beautiful closing to it during that scene.

My thoughts on the matter at least.

According to Spielberg, in the documentary about his films that aired on A&E last summer, Kubrick always had in mind the ending that ended up in the film. Spielberg sort of "lamented" that people automatically assume it was his own addition, and criticize him for it, while he was simply remaining truthful to Kubrick's vision. For what it's worth.

I think A.I. was also a bold venture for Spielberg and likewise, it does not succeed in all places but when it's firing on all cylinders, it's some of the best cinema I've ever seen. I do wish they would have ended the film with David at the bottom of the ocean praying to the Blue Fairy. It would have been more consistent with the narrative. I know Kubrick would have left him down there. And I think Williams wanted to as well since his music has a beautiful closing to it during that scene.

My thoughts on the matter at least.

I find that age old suggestion for an ending off-putting and just plain cruel. That wouldn't be an ending, it'd just be David's journey cut short.