Do you mind when filmmakers diginally alter a shot?

Josh500

Wikipedia has this to say:

Reaction to the trailer was generally positive, with criticism over the number of alleged computer-generated effects. A shot of Indiana Jones and Mac was digitally altered for the American version so that the surrounding soldiers' guns are pointed down. Mac's belt, Indiana Jones' breast pocket and a background soldier's gun were computer-generated into the shot. Critic Drew McWeeny wrote, "What we're left with as our first glimpse in 19 years of this character that is so much a part of the film lives of a generation is this distracting, fuzzy, effed-with image that will be fixed in the film anyway." The American flag is not seen in some versions of the international trailer.

I wonder why Spielberg had the soldiers point the gun down in the American version. Also, do you mind when they add such trivial things like a breastpocket or belt to an existing shot? I wouldn't even call them special effects . . . they are just nuisances, IMO. What do you think?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The change was made because of MPAA rules.

Yes. I don't think Spielberg had much to do with it himself.

What's the deal with adding the belt and the breast pocket?

I don't mind changes, as long as it's done for a good reason. Guns into Walkie Talkies . . . lame. Erasing the reflection of the snake on the other hand, makes sense.

This topic is a bit broad. I assumed this was about digitally color timing pictures, in which case I'm fine with.

well talking about a trailer is one thing, talking about the film itself is another.

I doubt SS had much to do with the trailer itself.

For such tiny things, I really don't care. I think it's sorta stupid to go through all that trouble to change something so trivial, but I really don't care.

There was no rating on the preview, it's approved for all audiences so you can't show certain things. Once the film gets a rating then you'll see the guns.

Well, what surprises me is that you can show the guns, but apparently not pointed at Indy. And that's only in the USA. What's that all about? International trailers DO have the guns pointed at Indy . . . check out, for example, the French version here. (Hahaha, by the way Indy's French voice sounds exactly like Harrison Ford!)

Well, what surprises me is that you can show the guns, but apparently not pointed at Indy. And that's only in the USA. What's that all about?

Yeah, it's almost as if not every country has the same censorship laws. Weird.

I just find it funny that the Americans are so squeamish about such a comparatively minor thing . . .

It's not "every country has a different censorship law." It's more like "the USA has a different censorship law than the rest of the world."

It's not "every country has a different censorship law." It's more like "the USA has a different censorship law than the rest of the world."

Actually that's not true at all. Every different country has different censorship rules, it's not just split into "the USA" and "the rest of the world".

Except for the Middle East, China, North Korea, parts of Africa, etc. ...

What are you, a moron? Can you for once try to post something useful?

Let me spell it out for you then: There are different trailers for Indy 4 online already. The French version, the Spanish version, the Italian version, the German version . . . and the American version. Only the American version has been altered. What's so hard to understand? In case you didn't know, the Chinese, African, etc. version don't even exist yet.

Actually that's not true at all. Every different country has different censorship rules, it's not just split into "the USA" and "the rest of the world".

Thank you, I'm aware of that. That's why I said, referring to the Indy trailer, it's MORE LIKE . . .