Singer talks Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the negativity towards SR - I enjoyed it. How could it be perceived as a flop exactly when it made nearly $400m?

And god help Ottman if he signs up. His first score is merely 'good' in my book, with a few standout parts (yes, I've revised my opinion lately after turning off the complete score after about 15 mins, and my most recent Ottman acquisitions have been less than exciting).

Superman's origin is the bst superman story to be told. After that, I just think it's really hard to find good stories for this character.

I hated Superman Returns when I first saw it. The highlight for me were the few jokes sprinkled throughout, and a bit of the score. I think I can safetly say that I won't be seeing this one in theatres.

I don't get the negativity towards SR - I enjoyed it. How could it be perceived as a flop exactly when it made nearly $400m?

It's a flop because the budget was almost $300 million and it's domestic return was only $200 million.

Superman Returns is boring, it's basically a soap opera. No one wants to see Lois and Clark mope around for 2 hrs and 30 mins. Superman comes across as complete wimp in this film. After he saves Lois at the begining there's nothing for him to do but apparently stalk her and peak/sneak into her house.

Luthor's plan might have been more sinister had he actually launched the missle on the USA's soil instead of out at sea. After his first encounter with Luthor you figured Superman wouldn't have been so quick to fly into the island without thinking that Lex knows his weakness to Kryptonite.

The only music that was really good was Luthor's theme.

I hated Superman Returns too. Not sure if I'll see the new one in the cinema, I'll have to see a trailer first. I've enjoyed some of Singer's other work, though I still think The Usual Suspects is overrated. I'd have more hope for the project if he wasn't involved.

Probably because it cost $270 million to make, and I don't think that included the marketing costs. It wasn't exactly a (financial) disaster, but it made MUCH less than the studio hoped and expected.

After watching the X-Men films I'm not suprised at how Superman Returns turned out. Those are also bland and not too interesting.

Superman Returns has a lot of problems -- dullness being the most unforgiveable -- but it is still, at the very least, a good movie.

Unfortunately, nobody wants a merely good movie; we all want great movies, or (again, at the very least) movies that seem to aspire to greatness. Superman Returns was highly reported to have cost $250 million or more, and I cannot for the life of me see where that money went. Wherever it was, the studio certainly didn't get its money's worth. It's like if I went to the grocery store and spent $250 and discovered when I sat down to have dinner that I'd managed to buy nothing but salad and bottled water: I'd get a meal out of it, but not one that particularly satisfied me.

That said, I'm happy to see Singer try again. I still wish he'd enlist Zooey Deschanel and dump Kate Bosworth . . . and fer chrissake, can we get a villain other than Lex Luthor for once?

I hated Superman Returns too. Not sure if I'll see the new one in the cinema, I'll have to see a trailer first. I've enjoyed some of Singer's other work, though I still think The Usual Suspects is overrated. I'd have more hope for the project if he wasn't involved.

I'd have more hope for the project if the writers from Transformers weren't involved.

I thought Singer's X-Men were quite good.

Superman Returns, however, is all mopey and dramatic where it should be lighthearted. It's also unclear where it should fit in the Superman movie canon. It ignores Supes III and IV, but also seems to largely ignore stuff from Donner's film and a half. Rather than fully stand on its own, it's part sequel, part homage, and part its own film, which doesn't quite work.

I thought Singer's X-Men were quite good.

Superman Returns, however, is all mopey and dramatic where it should be lighthearted. It's also unclear where it should fit in the Superman movie canon. It ignores Supes III and IV, but also seems to largely ignore stuff from Donner's film and a half. Rather than fully stand on its own, it's part sequel, part homage, and part its own film, which doesn't quite work.

The funny thing is I actually though Routh did look different when he was Superman as opposed to Clark but yet his son notices that he is Superman the first time he sees him as Clark. The kid starts wheezing and has to reach for his inhaler.

And speaking of terrible story ideas... the kid.

Yeah Singer must have watched the Donner cut of Superman II but didn't realize he turned back time at the end.

In the Donner cut Superman sleeps with Lois before he loses his powers.

Either that or something happened between them before he left for 5 years.

The movie was terribly flawed, true, but I'll be there for the sequel. Mainly because there was plenty that ranged from good to very, very good in the original (the plane rescue, the 'destruction of Metropolis' sequence, some Clark-isms...), and because, as a long-time Superman fan who had to content himself with Lois & Clark and Smallville, watching that gigantic film in the theater was a priceless visceral experience.

And speaking of terrible story ideas... the kid.

Yeah Singer must have watched the Donner cut of Superman II but didn't realize he turned back time at the end.

In the Donner cut Superman sleeps with Lois before he loses his powers.

Either that or something happened between them before he left for 5 years.

I'd rather not link Returns to any other movie, but to the general perception of the character (the infamous status quo Clark Kent is always stuck in, which Umberto Eco wrote about in detail). The kid is a much more interesting twist then.

I liked Superman Returns pretty well at the time, but I don't really have much desire to see it again. I do remember that it was pretty heavy on the drama.

Singer's X-Men films are terrific, though. I was completely drawn into the world, even as someone who knew nothing about the franchise beforehand. The third one stunk, though (and ironically has the best score).

I would have loved to see what Kamen would've done with the X-Men sequels had he been kept on (and not died)

Whoever Cast Kate Bosworth should not be allowed to cast ever again for any movie. She absolutely ruined this movie. I don't like being negative but this is simple fact. How they allowed that to happen is beyond me. It cost them 100's of $millions.

I liked Superman Returns pretty well at the time, but I don't really have much desire to see it again. I do remember that it was pretty heavy on the drama.

Singer's X-Men films are terrific, though. I was completely drawn into the world, even as someone who knew nothing about the franchise beforehand. The third one stunk, though (and ironically has the best score).

I agree with you almost completely.

"I liked Superman Returns pretty well at the time."

I myself was extremely disappointed by it. Well, at least I didn't want to throw something at the screen like I did when I came out of Spider-Man 3. Something changed in the world from the point I saw that film... I lost all respect I had for Sam Raimi. An avid Evil Dead fan here.

Whoever Cast Kate Bosworth should not be allowed to cast ever again for any movie. She absolutely ruined this movie. I don't like being negative but this is simple fact. How they allowed that to happen is beyond me. It cost them 100's of $millions.

While she is too young and too thin, I think her acting was passable as she's grown on me. Blame Kevin Spacey, as he seems to be unable to do a movie now unless she is in it.

And whoever mentioned Zooey Deschanel, you have the right family only the wrong sister.

;)

Spiderman 3 and Superman Returns were both equally boring. I don't it's fair to judge Spiderman 3 on its campiness, since we all know that can be used to great effect and result in good cinema. Camp only looks bad when its not supported by and coherence with regards to the formal and structural details of the film. The plot was overstuffed, the dialogue didn't pop at all, and there was no energy to the compositions or edits. It all rang false.

With Superman Returns, you have a much simpler plot that Singer manages to draw out over a long period of time. In other words, not much happens in the movie, and what does happen feels tacked on for nostalgic purposes. There's no sense of threat, and no overall interest in any of the conflicts. Its seriousness, much like Spiderman 3's campiness, comes off horribly as a result.

Ted

I did enjoy Spiderman 3 more, though I had far lower expectations, not being a fan of the first two. I did like the early Spidey/Osbourne fight, as well as Sandman's entrance. And the rest wasn't nearly as painful as I was expecting.

I didn't hate Returns, but I was counting on someone other than Singer doing the sequel. Still, that isn't nearly as bad as having the writer of Transformers doing the script.

Superman Returns is boring, it's basically a soap opera. No one wants to see Lois and Clark mope around for 2 hrs and 30 mins. Superman comes across as complete wimp in this film. After he saves Lois at the begining there's nothing for him to do but apparently stalk her and peak/sneak into her house.

Yes, I remember hearing quite a bit of this the other night. ;)

I still wish he'd enlist Zooey Deschanel and dump Kate Bosworth

Zooey's kinda cute and has that Margot look about her.

Yeah, but she's a bloody useless actress. She almost single-handedly ruined The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

This is positive news, I loved Routh's and Spacey's performances in SR. But Ottman has to go.

Still, that isn't nearly as bad as having the writer of Transformers doing the script.

That was a rumor that has been proven false this past week I believe

It's a flop because the budget was almost $300 million and it's domestic return was only $200 million.

The only music that was really good was Luthor's theme.

I agree.

Say what you will about Spiderman 3 but at least I can watch that without a sense of boredom.

It's very average, and flawed, but moves in a snappy pace.

I enjoyed Spiderman 3. My biggest problem with it was the Spidey formula they follow for all of them:

1. Spidey has to worry about something strange with his powers (getting them, they aren't working, the black suit)

2. Spidey has to worry about his relationship with MJ

3. The villian takes MJ captive, giving Spidey reason to save MJ as well as save the day

Also, the corniness was immense in 3. I started laughing when Peter started dancing in the street.

But other than that, I enjoyed it. It wasn't nearly as bad as what critics were saying, much better than the awful SR, I've seen MUCH worse films.

I still wish he'd enlist Zooey Deschanel and dump Kate Bosworth . . .

Absolutely! She would be great.

Anyway, as long as Bosworth, Ottman, and the guy who thought they were both good ideas are all involved, I can't say as I have any interest in seeing it.

The problem with SR is that not enough happened to make it interesting. The problem with S3 is that too much happened for one movie.

That said, I thought they were both ok, and would watch more sequels of either if produced.

I started watching Superman Returns at least two or three times so far, but couldn't do it, since I'm too used to the characted being so perfectly portrayed by Chris Reeve. All the same, I'm interested in the movie and also want to see Spacey's take on Luthor, so I hope I manage to be able to see the whole thing one day. :P I'd just have to be able to turn the used-to-Reeve "function" off inside my head, but I'm not sure if I can do that ... :rolleyes:

I enjoyed SR as well. I thought that it was actually better than Batman Begins. And you're hearing this from a HUGE batman fan. The reason I say that b/c I was very disappointed in BB on opening day. To me it was another Batman/Superhero/Comic Book movie. It should've been called Bateman Begins instead of Batman Begins. Bale was just a water down Patrick Bateman instead of Bruce Wayne. His performance was on autopilot IMO. They shouldn't have used the rubber suit either. If you're not connected to the other films then why use it. Rubber has gotten dated anyways. Schumacher made a joke out of that material. Enough about BB. About SR and Spidey 3. Spidey was a DISAPPOINTMENT. BTW, I came in Spidey 3 expecting a DISSAPOINTMENT. So Spidey 3 didn't live up to the disappointment I expected it to be it was worse. I almost thought Tim Story directed that movie and not Sam Raimi. I already lost respect for Sam after what he did to Elfman in #2. Speaking of scores Spiderman 3 score by Young was a JOKE. SR score was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAY better than that. I thought the SR score was great anyways. I can't wait to see what he comes up with the sequel with his themes from SR.So get off Ottman's back . Some of you are just PISSED because Johnny didn't score SR. He turned it down so blame him. BTW , I can't wait for TMOS. I'm also not bashing Williams. I'm a big fan of him as well.

Some of you are just PISSED because Johnny didn't score SR. He turned it down so blame him.

*sigh* That old red herring. First, Williams was never offered SR, Ottman is Singer's composer. Second, not liking the score has nothing to do with Williams not doing it. It's because it's bland, boring, and hurts the film more than helps it.

Oh, and a small tip: randomly capitalizing words doesn't make your point any better.

Some of you are just PISSED because Johnny didn't score SR. He turned it down so blame him.

*sigh* That old red herring. First, Williams was never offered SR, Ottman is Singer's composer. Second, not liking the score has nothing to do with Williams not doing it. It's because it's bland, boring, and hurts the film more than helps it.

Oh, and a small tip: randomly capitalizing words doesn't make your point any better.

That's in your opinion that it hurt the film. That scene where Superman flew into the sunlight for a sun charge that music was amazing and really impacted the scene. I don't think Williams could've done any better. BTW do you have a source that says Williams was never offered.

That's what I thought.

Were is your source saying Williams was ever offered this film?

The fact is that Ottman has been Singers regular composer and editor for many, many years now. They are also friends. It's highly unlikely that Singer approached any other composer.

Oh yeah this JWFAN I better stop saying anything about Williams before I get flamed. So I'll say I want Singer, Bosworth , Routh, and the supporting cast back for TMOS. And of course

JOHN OTTMANback for TMOS.

Oh yeah this JWFAN I better stop saying anything about Williams before I get flamed. So I'll say I want Singer, Bosworth , Routh, and the supporting cast back for TMOS. And of course

JOHN OTTMANback for TMOS.

You still have not given us proof that JW was ever offered SR.