Singer talks Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, I think it's better to not think of Returns as a sequel of any kind, but as a different take on the Superman myth.

Doing that is problematic, since none of the filmmakers did so. They stated their intent to make a Superman movie that picks up threads from Superman and Superman II, and for better or worse, that's what we're stuck with. Though I myself like Superman Returns, I'm hoping that The Man of Steel will ignore the vast majority of that movie and just start afresh.

And it does not retell the sotry from the begging like Batman. or the new HULK ...

Not to be nitpicky, but the new Hulk is not retelling the origin. It's basically what Batman Forever was to Batman Returns.

And it does not retell the sotry from the begging like Batman. or the new HULK ...

Not to be nitpicky, but the new Hulk is not retelling the origin. It's basically what Batman Forever was to Batman Returns.

i think i read they are making it as if the other never happened, and they hulk creation is told in the 1st minutes of the movie.

As I said, I think it's better to not think of Returns as a sequel of any kind, but as a different take on the Superman myth.

Despite the fact that the film features Marlon Brando as Jor-El, Glenn Ford as Jonathan Kent (in a photo), and was even going to feature footage from Superman: The Movie at one time. Singer just couldn't make up his mind.

Despite the fact that the film features Marlon Brando as Jor-El, Glenn Ford as Jonathan Kent (in a photo), and was even going to feature footage from Superman: The Movie at one time. Singer just couldn't make up his mind.

Yeah, it's a marvel of botched conception, although for me, the execution is good enough to make the movie worthwhile. It wasn't what I wanted to see from a Superman movie, but it's not too bad.

Doing that is problematic, since none of the filmmakers did so. They stated their intent to make a Superman movie that picks up threads from Superman and Superman II, and for better or worse, that's what we're stuck with. Though I myself like Superman Returns, I'm hoping that The Man of Steel will ignore the vast majority of that movie and just start afresh.

I know it's a major licence from Singer's original intentions, but you think the film doesn't work that way?

Despite the fact that the film features Marlon Brando as Jor-El, Glenn Ford as Jonathan Kent (in a photo)

How is that any different than using the Superman March from the original movie, too? In fact, how is that any different from the fact that they used said Superman March in Smallville, which bears no diegetic relation to the original movie?

returns considers donner's cut as the canon, i think.

Actually it can't. Jor-El is fully "killed off" and there's one or two other continuity glitches IIRC. The original Lester cut is still official canon.

Especially since the Fortress of Solitude exists in Superman IV.

I just remembered this.

Doesnt Superman 'Turn back the world' again in the Donner cut?

returns considers donner's cut as the canon, i think.

Actually it can't. Jor-El is fully "killed off" and there's one or two other continuity glitches IIRC. The original Lester cut is still official canon.

Especially since the Fortress of Solitude exists in Superman IV.

I just remembered this.

Doesnt Superman 'Turn back the world' again in the Donner cut?

The reason the Donner cut ends that way is that that was always how Superman II was supposed to end. However, when the production of both films stopped work on Superman II in favor of finishing work on Superman, it was decided that -- since, somehow, nobody had gotten around to figuring out quite how to end the first movie -- the around-the-world ending would be used for Superman. Then, they'd figure out how to end Superman II later, once its production resumed. That's how we ended up with the ultra-lame Clark-kisses-Lois-into-amnesia bit. Which, to be fair, is not one iota lamer than the idea that reversing the Earth's orbit would also reverse time -- that's one of the all-time retardedest things in movies. (But it's done with such panache that I just don't mind it.)

After listening to Donner and Mank about them wishing they could have contined to work on the films I wonder what would have happened.................

Imagine a Donner Superman III & IV and possibly Williams continuing to score them.

Jerry Siegel's heirs got the Superman copyrights now.

The good news for Warners? The copyright claim only covers elements of the character that appeared in Action Comics #1. The bad news? That includes the characters Clark Kent and Lois Lane. Oh, and the costume. (...) We bet the executive who suggested they should change Clark Kent's name to 'Barry', Lois to 'Sally' and that Superman himself should wear a clown costume instead of a cape, is now looking pretty smug.

Further clicky.

Add another "." at the end of the URL. For some reason, the board software can't post a URL that ends with "..." (who makes a URL that ends with "..." anyway?!)

About the movie maybe.

It's great news for the creators. They sold the rights in 1930 for $130 and the families deserve their cut of the money. Also great news that they can now license Superman to entities other than DC.

Are people that dissapointed that there may not be another Singer Superman?

No I'm excited, he needs to stay away from superhero films. Let someone make them who also knows how to add a bit of excitement to the movies.

If I want soap operas I'll tivo them and watch them when I get home from work.

Are people that dissapointed that there may not be another Singer Superman?

Not particularly. I'd be fine either way, plus there's the chance that Singer would learn from and correct his mistakes with a sequel.

Good for Seigel's family. They deserve their money.