David Yates to Direct Deathly Hallows

indy4

David Yates, director of sixth movie HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE, is on board to direct the seventh film - both parts will be filmed consecutively.

http://www.vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=3...ws&id=22532

;) It looks like that's it for John Williams and the Harry Potter Franchise. :(

At least Yates was great directing OotP.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose the Guillermo del Toro/John Williams match-up would be too good to be true anyway.

Especially lame is that they're splitting it into two parts.

Ah well. I didn't mind the directing or the score for Phoenix. Williams would have been best of course, but I'll take this over someone else.

Is there any chance at all that the producers will make Yates pick Williams?

indy4 - desperate

Unless you're a real big Hollywood producer that exerts a lot of creative control (*cough* Bruckheimer*cough*), the director generally gets the choice....which is usually approved by the producers....until test audiences cringe.

Considering the producers of HP are not happy for being given the finger by Williams, the chance approaches 0. :P

if wiliams wanted he could bully himself into the movie.

See my last sentence.

Wait, weren't you guys complaining over the last few HP films cutting out too much stuff from the books, and now they split it in two to make more room for the story and you're still not happy?

Is there any chance at all that the producers will make Yates pick Williams?

indy4 - desperate

Unless you're a real big Hollywood producer that exerts a lot of creative control (*cough* Bruckheimer*cough*), the director generally gets the choice....which is usually approved by the producers....until test audiences cringe.

Considering the producers of HP are not happy for being given the finger by Williams, the chance approaches 0. ;)

:P

I wish JW never left the franchise, even if it meant no Memoirs of a Geisha. I understand that creativley, it was the right move, and if it made him happy, fine, but I would defenetly prefer five new Potter scores to one new Geisha score.

2 films? Why??? Just so they can stretch the storyline thin? What's the betting that both films end up around 240 minutes each? It didn't work for extremely overweight Pirates of the Caribbeans 2 and 3, I can't see it working for Deathly Hallows either.

1) The book is the most cinematic of all the 7 books.

2) All the cinematic material is too long for one single movie in this day and age

3) All the cinematic material can fit into 2 movies relatively well.

4) Stop bitching....and wait and see how it works. Harry Potter is independent of Pirates...as the only crossover between the two is ILM.

I don't know what I want to see. I'm willing to give this bi-film thing a chance, I think it could work very well if it's done right.

Splitting into two movies is silly. True it's the most cinematic Blu, but GoF and OotP would have benefitted more from a two film treatment due to their depth. I love DH, but there's a whole bunch of the middle chunk that you can cut right out of a movie and not lose anything.

But I'm not going to get all worked up, my Potter film interest is at an all time low. Williams coming back is the only thing that would have gotten me really interested. I'll just read the book again.

Well uh looks like we have a lot of sucky Harry Potter movies coming up.

Agreed.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I thought OotP (film and score) were really, really awful.

I didn´t like the movie either, it absolutely didn´t affect me emotionally at all. It was a solid movie, like the first 2, but nothing more. The only HP movie that i really liked was PoA, i think it´s a shame that Cuaron doesn´t get another shot at it.

Dang. I was really hoping for Cuaron + Williams, or at least Del Toro + Williams. Such a shame.

I a vision of Chapter 34 being played out in my head. It's the part where Harry walks slowly to Voldemort, after realising that he must die. I had always imagined the second half of "Anakin's Dark Deeds" playing, while Harry takes his slow, mournful walk.

With Yates, it would probably be a shaky-cam 5 second shot of him walking briskly.

I'm willing to give the whole "two film" idea a chance (what other choice do I have?). I thought the film OOTP was good, but the score, not so much. I didn't actually think that we'd get Williams back, but the idea of three more Hooper scores is disheartening.

The two-film idea is... interesting.

But why bring back the director who's done the most crappy directing work on the series? Although the fourth film didn't really excel in that department either.

I don't get it. If they want to bring back a director, then take Cuaron. Or someone new then, Del Toro, or whoever.

Eh I could care less, I quit watching HP after POA.

How much less could you care?

Hehe. I was wondering if I was the only one who caught that!

I refuse to correct myself on the grounds that I'm stubborn.

Eh I could care less, I quit watching HP after POA.

How much less could you care?

Hehe. I was wondering if I was the only one who caught that!

I refuse to correct myself on the grounds that I'm stubborn.

Well said, Sir! That's the spirit. ;)

Alright, I'm not going to lie: I've had more time to reflect, and I guess I was really holding out for the hope that JW would return for the final film. He had expressed interest (some say he was saying the polite and politically correct answer), and that gave me enough grounds to get my hopes up. With the news that Yates is returning, I can't see him not choosing his friend Nicholas Hooper. It'd be like Spielberg making the choice on his own (not in the case of 'The Color Purple") to not use John Williams for a score, especially if Williams was willing and able. So, I must say, I am slightly saddened. I hated the score for OOTP. It was nowhere near the leagues of Williams, or even Doyle, for that matter. Normally this is where I would say "I feel better now", but I really don't. ;)

Woah. Negativity. Everywhere.

What I'm disappointed in:

Hooper - I'm liking his score more but I'm just not sure he can tackle what will be the most important film of the series.

Steve Kloves - I thought the screenplays for the first two movies were a load of sh!te. A lot of 'stating the obvious' dialogue, not helped by some fairly underwhelming performances.

But I like the idea of two films. This isn't a film that should be rushed - it's the 'must get to the next scene' thing that bothers me about most of the movies so far.

I think PoA is somewhat overrated - its rather relaxed storytelling style and camera movement just doesn't excite me. Plus it was Gambon's first one and I never ever thought he was right for Dumbledore. He doesn't have that sparkle of life in him that's in the books, and when he's 'serious' it doesn't seem tense or anything. It's like his mind is just completely elsewhere.

Yates:Mediocrity to the very end

the hope of a last great classic Williams score shattered .I guess it's Indy 4 and that's all folks

I don't agree with your assessment of Yates. I thought Columbus was king of mediocrity and felt that Yates did a good job of letting the series grow up a bit.

Oh, and Voldemort is the other character I think was cursed by crappy casting and just completely lacking the fear and coldness of the book. When you read it, it's almost like you can feel when he's in the room. In GoF, he's a weirdo running around in a weird cape.... he doesn't scare me.

Big disappointment. If the studios had half a brain they would have chosen Cuaron, there really was no reason not to. I didn't hate OOTP, but it's not Azkaban, and Yates isn't the director that Cuaron is.

Well the box office for HP says Yates did a good job, so why not bring him back? He must be doing something right to get the last 3 books.

And who knows, the studio may ask Williams to come back for the final film.

And maybe, just maybe, Williams was just being polite when asked if he wanted to score the last film.

Maybe he doesn't want to score any more HP films, as hard as it may be for some to comprehend.

Williams is probably not very interested, seeing as he apparently left the franchise of his own accord. But it seems to me that for Yates to choose his TV composer friend over the best living and most legendary film composer ever is a little too nepotic. Plus, I'm sure the studios wouldn't mind the greater CD sales and increased likelihood for an Oscar nomination that come along with Williams. But, if Williams doesn't want to, that's that.

Pity, as a Cuaron/Williams ticket would have quite possibly been amazing.

Well the box office for HP says Yates did a good job, so why not bring him back? He must be doing something right to get the last 3 books.

The movies are going to make money no matter who the director is, especially the last one.

I'm not completely ruling out Williams returning for a Potter finale, but it doesn't seem very likely at all with Yates.

Hooper's score was good. Not great, but certainly 4 stars...

David Yates' directing was absolute rubbish.

It was essentially a bad stitching together of a bunch of storylines.

Williams was probably on Azkaban because Columbus was still there to produce. Once Columbus left, Warner allowed the directors to pick their own composer (and why shouldn't they?) and Williams was replaced by the new directors' long-time collaborators.

- Marc, expecting people to still hope for a Williams Potter score even after Deathly Hallows, part 1 is released.

Isn't the prevalent opinion that Williams turned down Goblet of Fire in favor of Memoirs of a Geisha? I believe he said something to that effect.

Meh, I just hope they'll be good. It'll be really different to have a two-parter, though. Any ideas on where they'll make the split?

I would guess after Harry

burries Dobby's body and has started to make plans for the robbery of Gringotts. then I can imagine Harry walking down to Dobby's grave, looking into a beautiful scenary of Shell Cottage as emotional music swells, with the promise of some sort of plan and hope.

Plus it was Gambon's first one and I never ever thought he was right for Dumbledore. He doesn't have that sparkle of life in him that's in the books, and when he's 'serious' it doesn't seem tense or anything. It's like his mind is just completely elsewhere.

I think when the cast Dumbledore in the first two films, they got him just right. He has all the spirit and sparkle described in the books. I think Gambon is a bit too tense throughout the films. He never really has a chance to chuckle at an amusing thing, or do something that can really relieve tension through its delight. This may be partly due to the script of the film, but I still can't really imagine Gambon doing something like that.

Williams was probably on Azkaban because Columbus was still there to produce. Once Columbus left, Warner allowed the directors to pick their own composer (and why shouldn't they?) and Williams was replaced by the new directors' long-time collaborators.

As Henry said, I belive JW left only because he picked Memoirs over Potter.

Memoirs was a good excuse to make a clean break. I'm still of the opinion that he wasn't interested in (theoretically) having to work with a different director every film for the same series.