David Yates to Direct Deathly Hallows

indy4

Williams was probably on Azkaban because Columbus was still there to produce. Once Columbus left, Warner allowed the directors to pick their own composer (and why shouldn't they?) and Williams was replaced by the new directors' long-time collaborators.

The producers and Mike Newell were actually still in favor of using John Williams to maintain musical continuity, and in fact went so far as to offer JW the contract, only to be turned down in favor of Geisha.

Then Newell recommended Doyle and so the producers approached Patrick Doyle, but with the directives that he work very closely with John Williams' themes. Patrick Doyle wasn't too keen on merely quoting Williams, and so with compromise, the musical direction of the series changed.

I hope that clears that matter up. I gots insider post-production info. ;)

I'm still of the opinion that he wasn't interested in (theoretically) having to work with a different director every film for the same series.

That is also true to a degree. Williams' experience with Cuaron, was it seems, not what Williams had hoped for. It wasn't bitter or anything adversial mind you, and both men had great respect for each other, but Cuaron was extremely demanding in terms of what he wanted for the film and consistently pushed for a different atmosphere than the past films.

Conjecture based on all that makes me sure that didn't help a John Williams who was winding down his output.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While that validates everything I heard and makes complete sense you know certain individuals aren't going to believe a single word.

It's all a conspiracy against Williams......

I'm also very disappointed, the news somewhat diminished my shining happiness while listening to The Blue Box whilst checking out the JWFan forums, but in spite of the situation being desperate as it is, I still keep a glimmer of hope. :| Hope springs eternal, gentlemen. :)

My biggest wish for the remaining films is to hear a reduce-me-to-tears rendition of Fawkes' theme at Dumbledore's funeral. Even this is pretty unlikely, Hooper will surely write some bland piece for the scene.

If they even put his funeral in.

And I'm also nervous about what Hooper is going to do. His apparent self admiration for OOtP and the insistence that there are 'lots of themes' doesn't bode well for me for the rest of the series.

My biggest wish for the remaining films is to hear a reduce-me-to-tears rendition of Fawkes' theme at Dumbledore's funeral.

Indeed, I was hoping for something like that as I read it for the first time. As you say, though, there's about a 0% chance of that now. Maybe we'll get another piece along the lines of the incredible "Loved Ones and Leaving." :lol:

Pity, as a Cuaron/Williams ticket would have quite possibly been amazing.

I still get the vibe Cuaron didn't really want Williams as composer for PoA ,and would have picked someone else if he had the choice .And those "rumors" that Williams was exhausted after PoA might have led him to leave the franchise.

My biggest wish for the remaining films is to hear a reduce-me-to-tears rendition of Fawkes' theme at Dumbledore's funeral.

Indeed, I was hoping for something like that as I read it for the first time.

Me too. Pity. That was the same summer as RotS too, I remember the first couple of times I read that I always had Lament playing in my head.

Indeed, I was hoping for something like that as I read it for the first time. As you say, though, there's about a 0% chance of that now. Maybe we'll get another piece along the lines of the incredible "Loved Ones and Leaving." :lol:

What's really funny about "Loved Ones and Leaving" is that I couldn't wait to hear the full track after listening to the 30-second sample on Soundtrack.net, which covered approximately 1:45-2:15 from the track. But rather than coming to the tender, emotional conclusion that the sample implied, the track tapered off into dully inspirational material. I suppose those string arpeggios represent the train's departure? Not digging them.

I don't really feel a tear-jerking "Fawkes the Phoenix" at the end of Half-Blood Prince. It should be present, but restrained. Rather, I feel like the ending would be the perfect place to reprise "Harry's Wondrous World" (the do-so-so-so-fa-so part). That inspiration came from the final sentence of the book, which was something about having "one last day with Ron and Hermione." It would be something like the grand string statement of the Smallville theme in "Leaving Home."

Alright, I'll be first (and only) to say that I've never really gotten into the Potter scores. You bet your ass I own 1,2 and 3 but I haven't sat down and really listened to them. I pop in Azkaban every now and again though. What can I say, I'm a mild Potter fan (who just read the books less than a year ago) and it's taken me a while.

With that said, I didn't even notice a damn thing in the score for Goblet, so when Phoenix came around I was pleasantly surprised. Of course I wasn't expecting anything Williams-esque, but there were a few cues that stood out for me. I thought the theme for Umbridge fit well . . . as well. So I certainly don't mind this guy scoring the rest, given that Williams won't come back.

Then again, I also seem to be in the minority that thinks that Phoenix was the best Potter movie after Azkaban, so it's probably just me.

Pity, as a Cuaron/Williams ticket would have quite possibly been amazing.

I still get the vibe Cuaron didn't really want Williams as composer for PoA ,and would have picked someone else if he had the choice .And those "rumors" that Williams was exhausted after PoA might have led him to leave the franchise.

Cuaron was very enthusiastic about JW in his liner notes though.

Yates did an alright job with OoTP. Actually, it was a great job, except for the handling of the action.

Didn't Hooper originally want to incorporate more of Williams' themes in the score? I really do hope that some form of Fawkes the Phoenix will make it into one of the next Potter films. Preferably for Dumbledore's Funeral.

I love the character stuff. I love the resolution of Dumbledore and Snape. I love the multiple Harries at the beginning. I love the scene of Hermione trapped at the Malfoys’. I love Harry and Hermione in the forest. I think there’s so much, it’s such a rich fabric.

:lol:

I'm disappointed Chris Columbus isn't returning, as he was the most faithful to the books and as he would have picked Williams for sure.

I'm disappointed Chris Columbus isn't returning, as he was the most faithful to the books and as he would have picked Williams for sure.

Of course, he adapted the shortest books in the series and his films had the longest running times in the series.

Yes he would, but he would also direct the film with absolutely no directorial or visual imagination, and make an incredibly cheesy ending.

All my opinion of course, but whenever I watch the first two movies, I find something else wrong with them in my eyes. I don't think Columbus is a good fantasy director.

Yes he would, but he would also direct the film with absolutely no directorial or visual imagination, and make an incredibly cheesy ending.

All my opinion of course, but whenever I watch the first two movies, I find something else wrong with them in my eyes. I don't think Columbus is a good fantasy director.

I might have to agree with you there. While 1 and 2 are incredibly faithful to the source material, I find them to be the most boring. The introduction of the characters is okay, but it's all "Scooby Doo" from there. They foil the villains plot (twice in a row) and the meat of the story doesn't really go anywhere. Now that's the author's fault, but Colombus wasn't able to make much of that engaging to me.

Azkaban is where the story (and the directing) picks up.

Ok; 4 and 5 might not have been too short, but part 3 was. They could've added some more story explanation and made the film a lot clearer to the audience, while still keeping it the same length as the others.

They all could have been longer. They have all suffered from that syndrome you seem to get with all book adaptations - scenes moving along so quickly to advance the plot that things are rushed, done badly, or missed out altogether.

My problems with the first two films come down to the flowing points (get ready for a huge rant :blink:):

Screenplay - I don't like Kloves' style of writing at all. Somtimes just stating the bloody obvious. Add in 3 clearly inexperienced actors and you have some almost embarassing dialogue scenes at times.

SFX - some of these were bad. Just bad, IMO.

Direction/cinematography - I didn't feel like I was in a magical castle, but a church somewhere it was all being filmed in. And take for example the end of the quidditch match. No nice transitions, just a cut. Music, effects and everything just cut off. The endings of both were also highly cliched.

Now I know these films are mainly for kids but I just can't help thinking these films could have been really amazing with the right director and some better actors. They do have some nice moments but they were overall disappointing to me. I think it's a curse that all book adaptations have; they aren't going to please everyone, and to me, there hasn't yet been a truly sucsessful Potter movie yet (I think PoA is overrated and needed more material included to make more sense).

If you do love these films - this is only my opinion. Please feel free to argue with me :rolleyes:

It was an average movie with a high enjoyable factor.

I liken it to a Media Ventures score...it's pleasant and hits your primal bits while you're in to it, but not much more.

I loved SS when I first saw it in the theater, but it's only gotten worse as the years have gone on.

Same here.

Anyway, forget about Williams doing Hallows. :rolleyes:

Same here with the first two. I have the second on DVD - fat lot of good that does now.

I'm also disappointed Williams (probably) isn't in. I'm beginning to believe that it was indeed just politeness when he said that he hoped to do it... I mean what else would he reasonably say in such a situation that wouldn't seem like he was abandoning the saga?

As much as I liked Azkaban, there are too much distracting facts in that one for me: Gambon, horrible clothes (when I think of this movie I can't help seeing Ron's and Hermione's awful robes). I still think 1 and 2 have the best 'Potter-feel' (at least according to my imagination).

As much as I liked Azkaban, there are too much distracting facts in that one for me: Gambon, horrible clothes (when I think of this movie I can't help seeing Ron's and Hermione's awful robes). I still think 1 and 2 have the best 'Potter-feel' (at least according to my imagination).

Well your imagination is WRONG!

:lol:

That's because your cinematic interests lie almost entirely in mawkish, light-hearted, corny children's films.

PS feels clunky and lame now. I like the light-hearted tone though, but it was basically a film about snotty nosed pommie kids in a rich magic school.

The newer films, especially GOF, are so damn dark and gloomy, I actually have to fiddle with the brightness settings on my screen so I can see what's happening! Either GOF was just poorly encoded on disc or the film was lit badly.

I don't think any of the Potter films are masterpieces, but I enjoy all of them (even CoS). They're all decent efforts, OotP and PoA being oustanding ones. And none of them departs too much from the book's storyline (though tons of information is left out--the just of the story is the same, unlike the LotR films [though I absolutley LOVE Jackson's films]), although that is partially due to a contract Rowling made them sign before she sold them rights to the books.

I used to think CoS was the best Potter film, but now I am not so sure anymore. I do think there's a lot to like in that film though. PoA is still the film I dislike most, because parts of it just don't make sense. Perhaps they make artistic sense, but not logical sense. The first film is pretty much what I imagined it should be, so is the second, the third is completely out-of-whack. The fourth and fifth films are again pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Not brilliant cinema, but good enough as far as I'm concerned.

As far as the scores are concerned, the first and third are utter brilliance and the second's new music is utter brilliance as well. The fourth film's music I really dislike and the fifth film's music I can tolerate. I think we could do worse than David Yates and Nicholas Hooper for the rest of the Potter films. At least it's not Patrick Doyle who does the score and at least it's not Alfonso Cuaron who directs. I know a lot of people like Cuaron, but the only reason I might want him to direct another Potter film would be if John Williams would again provide the score.

Eh, I wouldn't rule out Williams JUST yet.

Ford A. Thaxton says that the WB would LOVE to get Williams back for the final film(s). Thaxton is also a music score producer with many contacts within the film music community, so he's definitely someone reliable.

Maybe the WB allowed David Yates to direct both films and have final cut, but with the caveat that he use a different composer for the last two films? It's possible.

To preserve my sanity, I'm just going to assume Williams will have no involvement in the score, unless I'm holding a physical Deathly Hallows CD with his name on it.

Maybe the WB allowed David Yates to direct both films and have final cut, but with the caveat that he use a different composer for the last two films? It's possible.

Possible... yes. Likely? I don't think so.

I'm with Chris - it'll take a 'music composed and conducted by John Williams' caption to make me believe anyone other than Hooper's doing it.

Yeah... when it comes down to it, there's like a 90% chance of Hooper being hired on for both installments of "Deathly Hallows" once filming starts on it. But Hooper did admit that John Williams is a far better composer... maybe he'll be gracious enough to step aside and let Williams finish the series off.

Still, it's nice to hope when nothing is set in stone yet. I hope Yates at least acknowledges Williams's wish to come back to score the final film, rather than just ignoring it completely.

PoA is still the film I dislike most,
:P:fouetaa:
AND with good reason. I have never understood how ANYONE could consider that mess the best Potter film of them all. Artistically it all looks nice enough and perhaps it works dramatically, but from a storytelling perspective, it's really confused. Not to mention the consistency (or lack thereof) with the previous films. There is SO much about that film that makes NO sense at all that I easily dislike it most of the Potter films. That film was rescued by John Williams; the score was by far the best aspect of the film and prevents it from being a total loss. :P

I agree somewhat with Pieter. The storyline in the film is riddled with holes, a minor example being that the origins of the map isn't explained at all - which is all crystal clear in the book and I feel a rather important story aspect. I also think Gambon's Dumbledore sucks - yes, I think it's that bad. He just doesn't seem to be 'in' the role, and he's absolutely nothing like I imagine him from the book. When he tries to be serious, it almost makes me laugh, and when he makes his 'small talk' which is often laugh out loud funny in the book, he looks almost bored with the role.

I'd also like to hear why people think this is the best one of the five, because I don't see it. My personal favourite is the last - I do think they've gotten better with every film and that Yates made the most mature and adult movie yet, even if the ending was probably the least inspired yet.

PoA has a spirit all its own - a rich atmosphere created by the moody cinematography, creative camera work, the new musical soundscape, improved performances by the trio, and a steady rhythm, all thanks to Cuaron's fresh style. The film doesn't feel nearly as bloated as the first two, and never drags. Certain plot points are unfortunately sacrificed for the improved pacing, but this ultimately creates a more succinct and streamlined narrative; while such points as the origins of the map and the identities of the Mauraders are important to the book series, the film functions just fine without them. This is opposite to the way the previous films come across, as they focus more on auxiliary details and thus feel too long and unengaging. As Entertainment Weekly put it, I believe, it was the first Potter with real fear and wonder in its bones.

Regarding Gambon, I think he was perfect in PoA, better than the subdued Harris, and better than his more aggressive portrayal in the subsequent films. The scene where he explains the Time Turner to them is the epitome of Dumbledore's character to me.

Ray: agreed 100%.

I didn't like Gambon in films 4 and 5, but I thought he was great in PoA.

And about the identities of the creators of the Marauder's Map: in what was is that information essential or even relevant to PoA's plot? It could just as easily have been, and probably should have been revealed in one of the later films. I don't see how the lack of that information is a problem with PoA.

What Raymond said. The atmosphere, acting, pacing, music, style, and narrative make up for any lost content.