Show us your music collection

• 2 months later...

My digital folders at the moment, I picked up an unexplainable habit of naming them random references or quotes when I started building it up. Some are more really obvious, some are more obscure. Guess away!

image.png

What nobody will get: 

classic - selection of my favourite classical music pieces

stephanvsrex - István a Király, widely known classic 1983 rock opera about the struggles of our first King Stephen around the founding of the Kingdom of Hungary in 1000 or 1001.

An update of my collection:

Boxsets and John Williams

IMG_2547.JPG

Charles Aznavour, Roy Orbison, Joe Dassin, Classical music, etc.

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

It's complicated....

IMG_2550.JPG

Pfffffff....

IMG_2551.JPG

16 minutes ago, Holko said:

My digital folders at the moment, I picked up an unexplainable habit of naming them random references or quotes when I started building it up. Some are more really obvious, some are more obscure. Guess away!

image.png

I see Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Miklos Rosza, How To Train Your Dragon, Jaws, Home Alone. Can't pinpoint the others without really thinking, but the obvious ones are those.

10 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Miklos Rosza

It's literally there in the picture you qouted and still it's misspelled. Is there some conspiracy here to specifically irritate me with this? ;) 

57 minutes ago, Holko said:

It's literally there in the picture you qouted and still it's misspelled. Is there some conspiracy here to specifically irritate me with this? ;) 

Clearly ol' Miklos spelled his own name wrong. After all, it's Liszt, not Lizst.

:P

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Clearly ol' Miklos spelled his own name wrong. After all, it's Liszt, not Lizst.

:P

sz and zs are completely different two-component letters, sz stands for the standard English "s" (our "s" is the English "sh", probably gets used more often), and "zs" is the French "J" like in "je".

Liszt is a word, means flour.  Rózsa is a word, means rose. The English pronounciation of Rose has a "z" so it's easy to remember Rózsa has the z first.

I'm envious.

Confession:  I own nothing.  Not yet, at least.  Every score I have ever heard has been on Youtube, Spotify or in the movie itself.

Maybe I should download some albums from Spotify?  

In comparison to most of the other collections mine is tiny:

20180819_103219.jpg

upper shelf - Goldsmith (60s, 70s, 80s)

lower shelf - Williams

20180819_103333.jpg

tiny shelf - Goldsmith (90s, 00s)

There's also a bunch of CDs from other composers, but it's not worth showing.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

One or two CDs seem to be missing...

The gaps are for the new Small Soldiers and The Mummy releases that I'm still impatiently waiting for.:unsure:

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I like the elephant.

The elephant was a birth present and the little school bag on its back a present for my high school graduation, so it kinda sums up my adolescence.

• 2 years later...
12 hours ago, Bespin said:

I had to make place in my non-Williams Film Music section, so I put my boxsets on the top of my shelves. And I put others in another shelves. 

20210702_133226.jpg

At least one of you that doesn't have action figure toys on top of his shelves. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I found this nice pine shelf off of Facebook Marketplace right up the road from me for $25!  Seller told me they got it from World Market.  I love the fact that it's solid wood and not the Ikea ones I used to have.  I've got plenty of room for future releases, only drawback is that the space is very snug so anything over standard jewel case size won't fit, not even the LLL box sets, so they are relegated to the top shelf.  Bottom right are a bunch of extra jewel cases to replace any that get cracked in shipping.

45.jpg

46.jpg

The numbers are plays (iTunes only counts a play if the track gets to within 10 seconds of completed, partial plays don’t count).  Also these counts counted by this random app I found are only for the past couple years.  My playcounts for individual songs go back to 2009, but the iTunes app itself doesn't have a way sum playcounts by artist, so I found this app that does its own tracking alongside iTunes.

I could give two hoots about my dust-collecting physical collection.  I consider them backups.

D37D5491-DAE0-44D8-9E35-E02AD3AACA01.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about the occasional informative booklet?

I love the booklets!  Especially when they’re digitally scanned!

At my retirement, I swear I'll read every booklet of the CDs I purchased.

Now, I just can't follow the beat.

21 hours ago, Bespin said:

Sorry Mr. Bach, you’ve been demoted again in the next to be only film music shelf!

20220524_171741.jpg

I have the same shelf closet but then for all my DVD's & Lp's. It's very handy

• 6 months later...