Show us your music collection

I don't really have a problem with it, I rarely use the camera. My brother's a nice guy, we share our things. He'd be a real dick if say he wouldn't share the CD's he bought with me.

Same here. My brother and I wander into each other's rooms all the time and "borrow" stuff. Not much of a feeling of individual ownership of certain items. He even helps himself to whatever snack food I have on my desk at the time ^_^

My collection is pretty much the same as whenever I posted my pathetic little photo. It's only 0s and 1s that have changed.

Does he really have that much music? I'd like to see it! I've been transferring all the music I've traded for ever since I began trading into my iTunes. I've got waaay too much music. I have 2 days of James Horner! Took me awhile to organize all that in there. I've got a couple shelves of CD's, but if I owned all the music I have on my computer, I could fill a couple walls.

;) Vosk, you're damn lucky to have original VS Club Predator! ;)

Yup I am...bought it on ebay sealed for $150 a year or so ago.

Hey Trent, I just noticed that your Episode I Ultimate Edition has no special packaging. What's up with that?

Ahh right, I managed to find scanned versions of the front and back cover online and just printed them up and put in a double disc jeweled case. After that I tossed that flimsy cardboard case since I hated it so much.

Those with bottom shelves at near floor level, look out. Either your pets (if you have any), or vermin like rats or mice might have their way with them.

... and if they chew enough, you could get this in return...

DSC00435.jpg

I heard a rumor over the weekend from a very good source that Mr. Olivarez has dedicated another wall for his immense collection.

She was exaggerating.

I heard a rumor over the weekend from a very good source that Mr. Olivarez has dedicated another wall for his immense collection.

She was exaggerating.

But not by much, I'm thinking. :)

Those with bottom shelves at near floor level, look out. Either your pets (if you have any), or vermin like rats or mice might have their way with them.

My dog's kennel is outside the house and vermin is also not permitted in the living room, so I'm sure that kind of damage is nearly impossible. :) What worries me more is that an earthquaqe could happen and cause a catastrophic destruction such as the one seen on Johnnyecks's pic. :) What the hell happened that resulted in such disaster?! :lol:

What worries me more is that an earthquaqe could happen and cause a catastrophic destruction such as the one seen on Johnnyecks's pic. :) What the hell happened that resulted in such disaster?! :lol:

Poor engineering. :)

Poor engineering. ;)

Hahaha... yes, that it was.

I still directly blame Home Depot for selling me the wrong kind of anchors to use. He must've not understood when I said I wanted to install shelving to hold approx 2000 cds. Perhaps he thought I meant 2000 pieces of cotton, because that is the kind of anchors he sold me.

The idiot.

For the young'ins...

The event.

Poor engineering. ;)

Hahaha... yes, that it was.

I still directly blame Home Depot for selling me the wrong kind of anchors to use. He must've not understood when I said I wanted to install shelving to hold approx 2000 cds. Perhaps he thought I meant 2000 pieces of cotton, because that is the kind of anchors he sold me.

The idiot.

For the young'ins...

The event.

I remember when this happened...god I never wish this upon ANY film score collector...

Edit: Johnny what does your new set up look like now?

The idiot.

For the young'ins...

The event.

Thanks for the link and the insight. May never any accident even close to this one happen to you (or indeed any music collector) again! ;)

My dog's kennel is outside the house and vermin is also not permitted in the living room, so I'm sure that kind of damage is nearly impossible.

You have any idea how small a space those little rodents can squeeze through just for a few crumbs on your floor?? Spreading disease all over your CDs?

;)

I got one...it failed within 6 months. I got a replacement...it failed with in 3 months. Never went back to LaCie after that.

And looking around on Google...seems I wasn't the only one:

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Extreme-Extern...U/dp/B000AY8DF0

For the back-up/external hard drive game, I heartily recommend anything from Western Digital (except their MyBooks) and most of iOmega's drives have been reliable.

Or better yet, buy yourself a normal internal hard drive (much cheaper in terms of build quality-to-price ratio, and also you almost always get a 3+ year warranty) and build an external yourself.

I agree with Blume's post about getting a Western Digital. I've got an Western Digital for my internal drive and it's been great these last four years. I thought about getting an external hard drive but I decided since I'm gonna build me a new pc next year I'll just get an internal terabyte drive.

Alright, I think I'm good then.

Thanks!

I'd still back up the valuables...you never know. For instance, you could not be home (I can vouch for this!) , and someone might bump your desk and knock your external off. External hard drives don't like hitting the floor and commit ritual suicide at the moment of impact. ;)

I know this from experience...

I have all my CDs now boxed up and put into a climate controlled storage unit, along with other stuff. Since we've moved into living quarters that are .. really .. smaller than we are used to, we just couldn't display them. Sadly.

That Lacie is my collection now. That and my iPod. I know about the failure rate of the discs, but I do have 1/2 of it backed up onto DVD, and am working on the other 1/2 now. Thankfully though, I have not had a problem with this drive. It is filling up quite fast, it is only 600 gigs, and am looking into a 1 or 2 TB drive now. Since I am on a mac, there is a drive that is made just for the mac and is around $300 for 1TB. My eyes are on that. And the 120 gig iPod. One day, I'll have everything on backed up on DVD, backed up on the hard drive, AND have everything on several iPods.

Call me crazy, but I am now taking precautions. I look at this as a hobby, a passion, a collection, and an investment. That is until all OOP cds have been re-released. Varese is taking great lengths to make sure that happens however. Good for us, but bad for investments. Not that I care, I want the music.. but still.... to see that my original "Boys From Brazil" cd that I paid $300 for, is now worth 90% less... is somewhat saddening.

Unfortunately when one buys music on the secondary market it's done so at one's own risk.

That's one of the reasons I've stopped buying out of print scores.

Unfortunately when one buys music on the secondary market it's done so at one's own risk.

That's one of the reasons I've stopped buying out of print scores.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Does one good to shop around first to see what the best options are. One person may offer an item in new condition for $50 on amazon, but only has a 90% approval rating, whereas someone else may be offering the same item for $15 in used but very good condition and has a 100% rating.