Show us your music collection

Legends of the Fall is boring anyway.

The Oscar that Horner should have won for.

really, really

I posted the whole thing on the last page...

Running out of room!

IMG_0003.jpg

I surprised you got SPANKMYASS. Was that just for John Williams being on the DVD? Have you listened to the music?

Legends of the Fall is boring anyway.

Yes, which is why I got rid of my copy.

Pistols at dawn, Mark?

Thanks :) There's really not a lot of it up there, only the two small sets my GF recently bought me for my birthday and Christmas, probably my first new Lego stuff I got since 1995 or so ... :D

Your girlfriend bought you Lego?

Instant awesomeness. :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I added a top extension to my classical/soundtrack shelf:

6280569119_3489048d27_z.jpg

I can now no longer reach my Spartacus box without a ladder.

A nice side effect of the newly shifted rows is that, for now, Goldsmith and Williams are right next to each other in the left and right shelves (it's an alphabetical two column left-to-right top-to-bottom layout).

Nope. I'd like a good-sounding Superman, but I rarely ever listen to more than then first third of the score, and I don't know the other scores at all. In this context, the price tag still feels rather steep.

Here's my down sized collection. Yes I don't have the Blue Box or the LOTR sets any more. They went to fellow JWFANers who I know would enjoy them more than I do. All though I still have my original rip of the first Superman film but others I don't have.

DSC05447.jpg

DSC05446.jpg

Not screwed to the wall at all, actually. The reason being that my walls can't hold anything. I once had a cupboard (standing on the floor, fortunately) screwed to the wall only to break loose as soon as a friend touched it. The cupboard is still standing, but the wall behind it now has a hole.

The CD shelf is actually held down by my e-piano's huge and heavy cardboard box (it may be cardboard, but it's still heavy enough that I had difficulty lifting it up with the ladder). Right across from the right shelf in that picture there's another single-column shelf holding my non-orchestral CDs, plus a few discs on a separate board that don't fit in the regular shelf layout (Ben-Hur, the LOTR boxes and the expanded Giacchino Trek, for example). The piano box lies atop both shelves, forming a kind of arc over the door barely visible on the right side of the photo, weighing them down nicely.

So I think I'm safe. :)

To both Rich and Jason, yes I did. I don't know why that shocks you guys...

I only listened to them a couple of times since I owned them. I do not doubt that the scores are good but honestly they do very little for me. Plus they are a bit too daunting/long for my liking.

I would rather they have gone to good homes to which someone else could enjoy them more, and they did.

I only listened to them a couple of times since I owned them. I do not doubt that the scores are good but honestly they do very little for me. Plus they are a bit too daunting/long for my liking.

I would rather they have gone to good homes to which someone else could enjoy them more, and they did.

Doesn't shock me at all. I never had you pegged as a huge fan of the music, but nor someone who'd discard it either.

I do find RotK daunting, it has to be said. It's a lot of music.

I hope those are tightly screwed to the wall.

I must admit, due to Johnnyecks' misfortune, I for one have a heightened awareness of how precarious that setup appears to be... :unsure:

Here's the whole thing:

CD-collection4-small.jpg

And a close-up of the first three rows (first two are Williams, third is Elfman):

CD-collection5-small.jpg

These pictures were taken a few years ago, however. Things have changed a bit since then.

Oh wow... :blink:

Are the CD shelved in any sort of order, Thor? (Chronological, alphabetical, etc.?)

Absolutely. There's an intricate system that I've had for, what, 20 years or so by now? It would probably bore everyone to tears if I went into details here, but roughly speaking, there are some composer sections first (chronological), then various in alphabetical order, then compilations, then classical, electronic music, pop/rock.

Nice shelving, Marian and Thor. I have a similar set-up, but have quickly outgrown it. Now, trying to decide whether to a) sell some discs I don't listen to, b) donate discs to the library for a tax write-off, c) pack some discs up in a box and hide them away in the basement, or d) buy more shelving.

I notice an unsurprising lack of any boxes (i.e. expansions) there :P

And I hope you've upgraded that 'thing' on the right...

He, he...yes, I have. The pic is from 2007 or 2008, I think. I have since thrown that out and replaced it with a laptop.

Nice shelving, Marian and Thor. I have a similar set-up, but have quickly outgrown it. Now, trying to decide whether to a) sell some discs I don't listen to, b) donate discs to the library for a tax write-off, c) pack some discs up in a box and hide them away in the basement, or d) buy more shelving.

I now have space for another ~240 CDs before I have to face that problem again. ;)

Right, but you already paid for them, so to just give them away is losing a lot of money. If you had been given them for free, didn't like them, and then passed them along is one thing. But to pay for them, listen to them twice, then assume you will never like them in the future and give them away is.......... interesting.

Tastes change all the time, something you don't like now you might like later. You must have had at least some amount of initial interest to purchase them. Plus part of your problem was that you only had TTT and ROTK, which are both harder to get into and to get through than the superior FOTR :)

Yeah it's a good point that FotR is a much easier listen than the other two for reasons discussed in the 'favourite part of fellowship' thread.

Did you actually own that, Trent, and never bought it physically? Just trying to understand whether you have heard it and decided it wasn't for you, or whether TTT and RotK are the only ones you've heard in full form.

If not... well you bugged me to listen to Star Trek V and I like that, so you know what I'm gonna say ;)

Btw some of the retailers sell the "re-released" LotR Complete Recordings (came out a few days ago, just a new pressing) at exorbitant prices close to 90 €. I can't remember paying more than 50 to 60 € for each.

Lol, you all have like 400 cd's, and i only have 9:

The Adventures of Tintin

Jaws

Indiana Jones 1-3

Star Wars IV-VI

BTTF Intrada

Oh wait, i also have the complete Beethoven symphony collection and a double cd from Edvard Grieg.

Did you actually own that, Trent, and never bought it physically? Just trying to understand whether you have heard it and decided it wasn't for you, or whether TTT and RotK are the only ones you've heard in full form.

Strangely enough, I never really got around to buying the physical copy for FOTR. I did listen to it all but the FOTR music just really wasn't my cup of tea like I had initially thought.

As I said I don't deny the LOTR scores are good music but I just never really listened to them as much as a score like Independence Day and Back To The Future.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm ordering these neat acrylic flip CD racks because I think my collection will look pretty bomb in them. Will post results in the future.

They came! I ordered six of these bad boys and I'm very impressed. I might finish off the Boston Pops and miscellaneous albums with a couple of U.S. Acrylic's towers.

344t7oy.jpg

:up: to sorting your Williams titles chronologically, but that system reminds me more of being in a store than looking at my own collection

:up: to sorting your Williams titles chronologically, but that system reminds me more of being in a store than looking at my own collection

Shame on you! It's slightly out of order...

As for dust, it doesn't bother me. Nothing the vacuum and canned air every Saturday or Sunday morning can't solve.