Show us your music collection

Most of them are. At the bottom and some of the second bottom are some classical, plus Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Traveling Wilburys, The Pretenders, The Who, the Bee Gees, etc.

And oh yes! The shelf is solid pine.

I've noticed Marian does this, but does anyone else organize his collection by composer's last name, whether he is mainly a film composer or a classical composer?

And if not, how do you deal with people like Korngold, Nyman, Glass or even Williams, who have firm roots in both worlds? As it is, I only keep "song-based" music / "pop/rock/etc." music on a separate shelf, and that's confusing enough (where to put Oldfield and Vangelis).

So am I the only one who keeps the CDs in a drawer?

I don't keep them on shelves where they might get dusty or be exposed to sunlight in the summer...

I used to have them on drawers... but those weren't custom made, and as time went by, and the collection kept growing it became not the best option. Now I have them all on shelves.

I've noticed Marian does this, but does anyone else organize his collection by composer's last name, whether he is mainly a film composer or a classical composer?

I do. With the exception of Williams, and all Williams related albums, I have my collection ordered by composer's last name, then concert works, chamber, solo, vocal, stage and film.

• 2 weeks later...

And a little update from Slovenia. :)

First, this is the whole rack - the left, CD half and the right, DVD, Blu-ray and books half.

kolekcija-nov11-1.jpg

The left half close-up.

kolekcija-nov11-2.jpg

And the right half close-up.

kolekcija-nov11-3.jpg

I had to have the shelf custom-made, I actually pretty much drew the "blueprint" myself so it fits exactly in the way I wanted it to. Luckily, my parents know this great guy who made it for me (very nice and very sturdy! :D), because it was absolutely impossible to find any shelf with space for so many CDs in the "normal" furniture stores. :P

I had to have the shelf custom-made, I actually pretty much drew the "blueprint" myself so it fits exactly in the way I wanted it to. Luckily, my parents know this great guy who made it for me (very nice and very sturdy! :D), because it was absolutely impossible to find any shelf with space for so many CDs in the "normal" furniture stores. :P

When I saw the pictures, I was going to ask if they were Ikea, because I have my whole CD collection (almost 2500 items, many of them multiple sets, plus the Williams related DVDs) on a set of shelves from Ikea and looks a lot like yours.

When I saw the pictures, I was going to ask if they were Ikea, because I have my whole CD collection (almost 2500 items, many of them multiple sets, plus the Williams related DVDs) on a set of shelves from Ikea and looks a lot like yours.

Hey Miguel, we haven't seen a picture from your collection yet, have we? Would be interesting to see, as your Williams collection is probably bigger than most of us. :)

I did the same with my current shelving system. Unfortunately, I didn't account for weight, so the shelves are sagging a bit in the middle. I'm not too handy, but have considering building my own.

Hey Miguel, we haven't seen a picture from your collection yet, have we? Would be interesting to see, as your Williams collection is probably bigger than most of us. :)

It is something to behold

That is some great shelving Mag. I wish I had that kind of space. My colllection of cd/dvd/blu is spread around 5 different shelves in 5 different locations. I hope that one day I can have them all together.

I see. I've only been to one Ikea store so far (in Italy, there aren't any in Slovenia yet) and although I by that time already had the above shelf made and installed, I nevertheless looked around for something similar/appropriate for so many CDs but I couldn't find anything, although it's a big store. Maybe not all Ikeas are equally stocked, or maybe those in Portugal are better stocked.

That is some great shelving Mag. I wish I had that kind of space. My colllection of cd/dvd/blu is spread around 5 different shelves in 5 different locations. I hope that one day I can have them all together.

Well thank you! :) I'm also very happy with it, and many people who visit me also express very positive feelings about it - once they get over the shock of somebody having that many CDs and DVDs, of course! :D

I'd imagine the standard series (Billy, Besta, Pax) should be available everywhere.

My CD shelves are from the Besta series - perfect for CDs, as each board is 16cm deep and the spacing is ideal, too. They discontinued favoured colour (slightly brownish black) a while ago, but luckily reinstated it again.

My home office wall is buried behind a set of Billy bookcases.

This are the exact models I used, plus some additional shelves -- I even made some additional perforations so it could hold an additional shelve:

http://www.ikea.com/pt/pt/catalog/products/20094031/

http://www.ikea.com/pt/pt/catalog/products/40094030/

plus some high extensions:

http://www.ikea.com/pt/pt/catalog/products/00197407/

I'll post some pictures soon, when I'm done with some cleaning I'm doing in my home office.

Oh I see, these shelves must work great with some modifications. Looking forward to seeing those pics! :)

Basically I drilled an additional set of holes below the last factory made ones, allowing to place an additional shelve there. Besides that one, I've added a couple of other shelves in between the ones that already are included (four in the higher cabinets), using the holes that it already had. For the additional shelves I almost always went to glass ones, as they are a bit cheaper and make the whole thing look lighter.

All in all, it ended up being an inexpensive way to store my collection, and I still have quite some space for a couple or more years of collecting.

Beautiful shelves, Maglorfin! I too need something like that because my actual shelves are now too small and overcrowded with CDs and DVDs/BDs. I'm in fact considering some Ikea solutions much like Miguel did (the Billy or the Besta series, I'm still evaluating).

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Beautiful shelves, Maglorfin! I too need something like that because my actual shelves are now too small and overcrowded with CDs and DVDs/BDs.

Grazie, Maurizio! :D I can give you the number of my carpenter if you like! :D

Beautiful shelves, Maglorfin! I too need something like that because my actual shelves are now too small and overcrowded with CDs and DVDs/BDs. I'm in fact considering some Ikea solutions much like Miguel did (the Billy or the Besta series, I'm still evaluating).

Thanks for sharing the pics!

I never considered the Besta series, as the cabinets are deeper (40 cm against the 28 of the Billy) and a lot of space would went unused, as I'm using them only for CDs. My brother as some Besta cabinets but uses them for book storing.

As is evident from my photos earlier, I also use an IKEA system, namely the IVAR shelf (which I painted white from the original pine). A bit more hassle to wipe off dust etc. but works well enough.

• 7 months later...

It was $4 at Family Dollar, and I like some of Debney's older material so I took a chance. There was a lot of Debney I put back...I was in a hurry so I couldn't be thorough.

You may be wondering...well where's Star Wars, where's the Blue Box, the Indys, all the other stuff that's missing...those albums are not currently with me physically. I'm a man torn between two residences at the moment. And even there, everything is strewn...some on this shelf, some on that shelf across the room, some stacked on the floor, and the rest in a banana box in the closet.

It's 6am here in Utah and too tired to take pictures, so I will do it later today. Normally I'd still be asleep but we had two damn kids doing a prank by ringing the doorbell and running off. They've done this to other apartments here in the complex and normally would happen only in the day time. At firs they did it once maybe twice but lately it's increased to three times a day. They were even doing it to upstairs apartments too. Well they made the most fatal mistake of started doing it at 4am (3 hours ago) and probably had been doing it sooner.

My dad caught them, made them wait inside our apartment since he called the cops. An officer showed up and instantly they started lying through their teeth because they got caught. They first said they were brothers, then said they were NOT related and said he one was staying with the other for the night. They couldn't even give their real names. One said his name was "Sincere", come on no one is gonna believe that, especially a Police Officer. The officer was getting so pissed because they were lying so much and he demanded to know their age. One said he was get this... TEN ...yes ten years old and the other said he was ELEVEN, I mean SERIOUSLY? Parents letting their ten and eleven year old's run around the middle of the night letting them do crap like this!?

This right there proves that a lot of parents today don't give a rats ass about their kids and what they do. The officer said where they lived, one took dad and the cop to an apartment across the way. Apparently no one answered the door but there are several empty apartments in this complex and a couple of them across the way. I'm betting they took them to an empty one. The officer definitely won't leave these kids until he finds out where they live. I am not sure if he'll take them down to the police station or not but I would not doubt it if he doesn't find out where they actually live.

I hope now that they've been caught this shit won't happen any more.

And here's another update from me. An "expansion" has occured not long ago, and now I have practically one whole living room wall covered in CDs, BRs, DVDs and books which was always my dream! :D

kolekcija-jul12.jpg