Varese Sarabande - A 30th Anniversary Celebration

Maglorfin

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these sets are great for someone who is just starting their collection or is interested but doesn't know where to start.

I have the first two sets from Varese and after you get past the good composers alot the lesser ones all start to sound the same.

I applaud them for releasing these but I've noticed alot of the music on the new set really isn't that interesting or I already have the score.

A really great price for a 4-CD set but what's the point if you actually have those individually?

None, obviously, but it would be great if you're unfamiliar with those scores.

A really great price for a 4-CD set but what's the point if you actually have those individually?

Well, I don't. :eek: At least most of them. I'll certainly buy that set.

19 $ is about 12,5 € at the moment, and most new single CDs cost around 20 €. Sooo ... :blink:

I doubt there are that many people who have all 80 (ish) of the selections...based on my very positive experience with their last two sets, through which I doscovered dozens of new scores, I'll certainly be getting this, even though I have at least a quarter of these album, and am familiar with many more.....for that price, it worth it, IMO.

That's because Varese hasn't/doesn't release Williams' scores anymore. The Club releases don't count. All those on the set have been released by Varese.

You should know better.

but it is definately a compilation of recent releases.

It does not cope well with some 30 anniversary. This should reflect what they have released in those 30 years...

One could think Varese only releases 'crappy' composer scores and Goldsmith (and Giacchino)

Actually Ford Thaxton pointed that out already, that for a 30th anniversary release it should have music from all 30 years.

I guess that's what the 25th Anniversary Volume I & II were for.

but it is definately a compilation of recent releases.

Well, it is in a way, since it's subtitled A Chronicle of Great Film Music 2003-2008.

Actually Ford Thaxton pointed that out already, that for a 30th anniversary release it should have music from all 30 years.

Are you calling me a F.A. Thaxton??!?!?!

No offense, i suppose....

it's subtitled A Chronicle of Great Film Music 2003-2008.

oh i handnt noticed that.

Calling that 'Great' its a little pretentious anyway :blink:

Now where in my sentence did I ever call you Ford?????

What marketing person is going to call it:

"A Chronicle of Film Music 2003-2008"

that would suffice

Now where in my sentence did I ever call you Ford?????

:blink: You basically said that he said the same as me (30th anniversary should have music from the 30 years)

What's the deal with this Ford Thaxton character?

I'm sure someone will tell you... but suffice it to say you don't want to associate yourself with him, you'll regret it.

What's the deal with this Ford Thaxton character?

Ford Thaxton is known as big sountrack collector, as well as producing for Silva (If I understand correctly). He is a major presence on the FSM board, and is well known as a soundtrack personality. Jerry Goldsmith once remarked about about him that he has no life, and several people in the soundtrack world have have feuds with him. He generally takes the line of defending every label's position on just about every release (except for this one, it seems), even if others deem it not too customer friendly (not an entirely unreasonable position...but he's none too subtle about the way he goes about things).

That is what I have pieced together over the years about Mr. Thaxton. I believe he's posted here a few times.

others says positive things about him, so i dont know who has the truth...

Just take a look for yourself at his postings on various forums. Like DANIEL2 or Dan Hobgood, he sometimes has something worthwhile to say or to share -- particularly, in his case, as a record producer -- but the positives tend to be obscured by an insufferably abrasive and supercilious public persona. I don't know the man personally, so I just appreciate his album releases, try to ignore his frequently intemperate remarks, and pretty much leave it at that.

I plan to order it with Lost season 3. If you don´t have most of this albums (I do not), 4 cds (altougth some of the tracks are gonna be average or directly crap), the price is really good.

• 1 month later...

I ordered it yesterday (together with Conti's North And South). Has anybody else bought it in the meantime, any opinions?

I'm considering picking up that collection when I buy KOTCS (to qualify me for free shipping at Amazon), but I don't want to waste my time with a lot of filler. Can anybody offer a quick personal list of their favorites from the set? I like pieces of Howard's "Peter Pan" score, and I've heard good things about "Magorium" and a few others on there, but I don't want to take the plunge based on two or three tracks, even if the price is amazing.

I purchased it from 7Digital, and it's a very varied release. Maybe a few of the track selections are not optimum and maybe 4 or 5 are excessively modern or techno, but there's no question that it's exposed me to lots of new composers, and I now legally own a small slice of my existing collection :rolleyes:

Thanks, richuk. I'm looking forward to receiving my copy. :) Especially as I'll also get to "taste" some of the composers whose work I've never heard before, and it's always interesting to discover new names in the industry. :wave:

I don't want to take the plunge based on two or three tracks, even if the price is amazing.

You're getting nearly 90 tracks, or 5 hours of music. I think you'd really have to either own a huge amount of Varese scores already or have a very, very narrow taste in scores not to find a lot to like on this set.

Anybody know how Varese came up with that awesome logo?

I'm curious as well about who made the decision to go with an ink blot and why.

Is that what it is? I figured it was a set of abstract bagpipes or something. Maybe.

hmm, I think I'll pass on this. This might be great for beginners or for people like Rich who would want to try and get into different composers. Personally this isn't suited for me but it's a great price though for 4-CD's.