Other possible James Bond Composers

ChuckM

James Bond movies have seen a lot of different composers over the years. Currently David Arnold is doing a great job (and I have no actual desire to see him step down), but I was wondering who (of composers working today) you think would also be able to do a good job. Personally, I would like to see what John Powell would do with a JB movie.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely Giacchino.

His work on The Incredibles was simply INCREDIBLE and he's certainly got that John Barry feel down pat. Arnold's music is certainly excellent, but you gotta go with that original "Barry" flavor which Giacchino can bring out.

If Arnold resigned, I would certainly see Giacchino or Powell to step into his shoes. Of course I would very much like to hear what JW could offer and hearing Goldsmith's apporach would have definitely been a treat.

There are plenty of original Barry scores to choose from, why have a fake?

because the guy has retured and is not cappable of doing a Bond score anymore.

Retured and not cappable? Even I try to limit my misspellings to one noticeable one per post. :)

But Manuel, why not have another composer put his mark on the franchise, instead of just copying Barry.

David Arnold's music works because it's very different from Barry's even though he fills it with plenty of homages or references.

When other composers aside from Arnold have stepped in, it has been a crappy score...

I rather have one similar to Barry than a garbage...

But you know, Giacchino would still get his style inside that score too :)

For Your Eyes Only is a fantastically fun score, dated yes, but incredibly well written. And I simply adore what Michael Kamen did for Licence To Kill.

The Spy Who Loved Me has some fantastic music, though it does not have much in the way of cohesion, and while I'm no fan of The Living Daylights outside it's title song, it does work for that film.

Goldeneye is just anonimous music though.

For Your Eyes Only is a fantastically fun score, dated yes, but incredibly well written.

Seconded. :) I really enjoy that one, it's particularly cool to listen to it in the car, with Runaway being the most appropriate track. ;)ROTFLMAO

I'd also like to hear Giacchino, but also Elfman, he's done a terrific job on e. g. Mission: Impossible, so I think he'd do more than good.

Elfman???? ROTFLMAO

I'm not too sure on that one......anyone but Elfman on a bond film. It'll just sound like a rehash of MIB.

Not quite sure how you figure that...I'd be scared that it'd sound something like The Kingdom. The only piece from Men in Blakc I remember is the main titles, and that is twisted genious, but I don't remotely hear any connection to any potential Bond cue.

I think Elfman could do a good job, as I consider him to be one of the most talented current composers, but he would have to stray pretty far from his traditional fantasy style.

Giacchino I think would do a very good job as well, although I agree that he should stick to his style, and not so much try to emulate Barry.

Elfman is one of the composers who I'd love to tackle anything, except for typical Elfman projects. It's been a long, long time since he's really impressed me, solid as some of his more recent score have been. Last score of his I really loved was Red Dargon.

I don't think a kick ass version of John Adams is what we need for Bond. And I can't think of a single thing I'd want Cmiral for. Maybe to do the dishes. I hate doing the dishes.

I dunno. He wanted it very much in his youth.

At least it can be small thorn in his foot

He was in negotiations...but he insisted on it starring Haley Joel Osment and it being set in an American school.

Bond or Agent Cody Banks? :)

BTW, when spielberg wanted to make a bond movie, Osment was still sperm in his father's loins ROTFLMAO

Elfman???? :)

I'm not too sure on that one......anyone but Elfman on a bond film. It'll just sound like a rehash of MIB.

Huh????? ROTFLMAO

Giacchino, Broughton or Ed Shearmur.

Michael Giacchino.

Just because he emulated the Barry/Bond style in The Incredibles doesn't mean it was a Barry knock-off. It's one of the best scores in recent memory, as far as I'm concerned.

But I also agree that there's currently no particular need to replace David Arnold.

We have come to the point where if a new composer would step in, his score will get comments that it doesn't compare to a real original David Arnold Bond score.

John Barry was just another hack of the Arnold sound!

Ah yes. Never mind. That's what I guess for searching "Williams" on the page. Damn acronyms.

And the board has reached a new low

John Barry was just another hack of the Arnold sound!

Shouldn't that read "David Arnold is just another hack of the John Barry sound!"