The Custom Covers Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, those are great, especially the last one indeed, thank you!!

If anybody wants to make one that doesn't use the side shot of Lincoln's head the OST also uses, I'd love to see that!

19 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

So I've been back on Lincoln, more inspired than ever and came up with this new one (which I, in all honesty, find really neat)

Very cool imagery to use - I like it!

I am not sure about the film's title being slanted and partially blocked by a book on the table, nor Williams' credit being to the left instead of centered.  What would you think about trying a version with the title and Williams crediting both centered and near the bottom?

20 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

So I've been back on Lincoln, more inspired than ever and came up with this new one (which I, in all honesty, find really neat)

Lincoln (Expanded Edition #4).jpg

Some thoughts completely intended to be constructive:

• Some font that isn't Trajan Pro could bring more personality to these covers
  • Putting white text over white background decreases legibility, doing it partially calls even more attention to it, the bottom left text would do better on the bottom right or the middle and farther away from the edges to be more balanced
  • Nice idea, better than the previous ones, but to me personally the "fun" gimmick of putting the title down on the table doesn't fit that well with the serious mood of the film and the introspectiveness of the (well-picked) shot

So I've taken your advices in consideration and changed it a bit this way:

Lincoln (Expanded Edition #5).jpg

@Holko about the TrajanPro font it was to stay with the font title although I agree putting it everywhere tends to be annoying (though it curiously works everytime :lol:)

On 21/10/2021 at 7:25 PM, bruce marshall said:

Nice.😊

I didn't realize the FSM was op and$$$!$😞

One more request.

Music by Christopher Gordon

Screenshot_2021-10-21-19-44-29.png

Screenshot_2021-10-21-19-48-06.png

Screenshot_2021-10-21-19-48-06~2.png

Pretty please!

" music by Christopher Gordon"

On 23/03/2022 at 8:36 PM, May the Force be with You said:

So I've taken your advices in consideration and changed it a bit this way:

Lincoln (Expanded Edition #5).jpg

@Holko about the TrajanPro font it was to stay with the font title although I agree putting it everywhere tends to be annoying (though it curiously works everytime :lol:)

Nice alternate cover :)

If I may request a custom version, I like the Trajan font and secondary text layout of your first version but prefer the standard film title treatment and position as used in your second version. However the title is difficult to read in the chosen colours.

Could you make the film title either white or silver using the same secondary text layout and font as your first cover? You would probably then need to bump it to the right to avoid the lightness of the window though but it could work.

Does anyone fancy making a custom cover for the John Powell compilation? I mean the album is great but the artwork is absolutely terrible. I can’t believe they couldn’t find something better. Even a decent picture of the orchestra would have been good. It really needs something like that amazing Dan Struzan (I think?) panoramic montage used in the first JW/SS album but appreciate not everyone can afford to commission something like that for their first compilation!

Thanks @May the Force be with You for the Lincoln alternate.

For your Natty Gann back inlay card, may I suggest you try using a clone tool or similar to remove the sign post thing that is on the still with the tracklist as it makes the track numbers hard to read.

If you like you could send me the still without text and I could have a try using my ancient 16-bit photoshop predecessor app (which has served my amateur cover-making exploits well over the years).

5 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Does anyone fancy making a custom cover for the John Powell compilation? I mean the album is great but the artwork is absolutely terrible.

You could ask on the FSM custom cover thread, there is a user there that has made some very nice "suites and themes" type covers for other composers recently.

11 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I tried looking for a bad cover in google images when searching for John Powell compilation but nothing caught my eye.

What is so bad it has to be replaced?

Should have specified the title (think I assumed everyone would know what I was talking about, apologies!). Maybe not awful but it’s certainly incredibly dull. I’ve added the JW/SS album cover (in its pullout form) as well!

image.jpeg

0573683D-02D3-4CA5-9EA9-E736B972BDFB.jpeg

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Thanks @May the Force be with You for the Lincoln alternate.

For your Natty Gann back inlay card, may I suggest you try using a clone tool or similar to remove the sign post thing that is on the still with the tracklist as it makes the track numbers hard to read.

You're welcome. Thanks for the remind on the sign post it didn't occurs to me that I still add it. I've now removed it

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Thanks for the remind on the sign post it didn't occurs to me that I still add it. I've now removed it

Looks good. Now you should move the track text up to the left so it's better balanced between the edge of the cover and Natty's hand :)

11 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

@JTWfan77 here you go

Lincoln (Expanded Edition #6).jpg

This is fantastic, thank you!

If I could make one request - and feel free to say no - that request would be a version with the "Expanded Motion Picture Soundtrack" text removed, but everything else left as-is.

Again, thanks, this is really great!

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

It looks like a glass of water photographed against a white wall! Sparkling, but none the less!!

I hadn’t thought of that! It’s not even clear what that outline is meant to be or represent. I’m sure someone could do something great using actual/concept art from the JP scored films featured and turn it into an epic montage of dragons, dinosaurs, chickens and Matt Damon!

How about a cover for the Alex North compilation/rerecording on Nonesuch.

Featuring A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE

20220327_145654.jpg

20220327_145715.jpg

Here is the original slip case cover

Screenshot_2022-03-27-15-03-01.png

This would make a great cover if you could remove the Jerry Goldmith credit and add something like " A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE and other classic scores

or anything you think works!😁

Screenshot_2022-03-27-15-03-14.png

1 hour ago, Indianagirl said:

I'd love to see more cd covers done in this style. I love this. bullitt.jpg

I love it. It looks like a Norman Rockwell painting with cars.